Fall 2016 Social Psych Applicants

homonculus

Don't be sad about something you can't change, try to forget it! I firmly believe that others don't see our mistakes in the way we do.

I just submitted my second application (out of 4) and one of my professors still hasn't mailed her LoR.. She has a few hours left until the deadline, I'll email her again.

2 hours ago, tallulah said:

I just submitted my second application (out of 4) and one of my professors still hasn't mailed her LoR.. She has a few hours left until the deadline, I'll email her again.

I have 1 professor that did the same thing (and is doing the same again!). I was surprised to find out that schools are a lot more forgiving with the letters of recommendation coming in late than I ever expected. As long as you submit the documents that you're responsible for, you should be okay. 

Submitted my final application today! Time to relax and worry for the coming months. 

Now that I'm thinking about my chances, I'm wondering if anyone around here who has experience with admissions could give us some insight. What portion of applications are really taken seriously? Last year I'm fairly certain my application wasn't considered too seriously, even though I had good stats (my SoP was terrible, looking back, and my interests weren't at all focused). Basically, I'm wondering, out of 100 applicants, are the majority usually serious contenders? I'm sure it varies widely between schools, and prestigious schools might get a lot more people who don't have a shot, but I'd like to hear anyone's experience.

1 hour ago, homonculus said:

Now that I'm thinking about my chances, I'm wondering if anyone around here who has experience with admissions could give us some insight. What portion of applications are really taken seriously? Last year I'm fairly certain my application wasn't considered too seriously, even though I had good stats (my SoP was terrible, looking back, and my interests weren't at all focused). Basically, I'm wondering, out of 100 applicants, are the majority usually serious contenders? I'm sure it varies widely between schools, and prestigious schools might get a lot more people who don't have a shot, but I'd like to hear anyone's experience.

I was just talking about this with my husband tonight. When I last applied, my stats weren't great (low/avg GPA, avg GRE), I didn't have a lot of research experience other than a kick ass honors thesis, and I was also super unfocused when it came to my interests. I'm wondering if there are a lot of similarly unfocused students that are easy to weed out, especially for the programs with hundreds of applicants. 

1 hour ago, ihatechoosingusernames said:

I was just talking about this with my husband tonight. When I last applied, my stats weren't great (low/avg GPA, avg GRE), I didn't have a lot of research experience other than a kick ass honors thesis, and I was also super unfocused when it came to my interests. I'm wondering if there are a lot of similarly unfocused students that are easy to weed out, especially for the programs with hundreds of applicants. 

Can you be more specific when you say avg GRE? 

On 11/30/2015, 10:54:34, ihatechoosingusernames said:

Well, I just made the mistake of going over my submitted personal statements again and found a very obvious error! WAHHHHH! I should have just left it in computer folder to rot forever :'( 

I did the same thing and lesson learned. Never again. You can always make it better but there comes a point where you just have to live and let live.

3 hours ago, homonculus said:

Submitted my final application today! Time to relax and worry for the coming months. 

I was wondering this to. I seem to here that GPA/GRE are commonly used as a way to sort applicants by priority, but I'm wondering how common this is (especially since there's subjective information in LOR's and the SOP that may explain things). I absolutely believe it happens but I'm curious as to how common it is and how much other things (last 2 years GPA, major GPA, trajectory of grades, additional experiences that compensate,etc) factor in. Of course, the answer is always "it depends on the school/program/how competitive the application pool is" but I do with there was some kind of general consensus to help us decipher the process.

1 hour ago, ihatechoosingusernames said:

That may certainly be it; after a long talk with my adviser, it seems that schools getting 800 apps aren't necessarily getting 800 completed, good-fitting apps. Apparently, people applying to places randomly without much research ("spray and pray method") or not turning in things (such as official transcripts for schools that want it or a writing sample or an LOR) is fairly common. Yikes. I don't think the proportion of people is that great though; but rather the desire for students to get advanced degrees has gone up, especially with economic hardship, and so perfectly qualified candidates start to blend together, making it harder to stand out in a pool of 600 people just as qualified as you (especially in social psych, which is pretty competitive as I think it's one of the more common ones, save clinical).

9 hours ago, xEB0511 said:

Can you be more specific when you say avg GRE? 

I suppose so :) I had a 311 overall, with my quant and writing scores just barely over the 50th percentile and my verbal just under the 80th percentile. It wasn't that the scores themselves would automatically toss me out of the running, but paired with my 3.3 GPA I was a solidly middle of the road candidate.

This is my first year applying to social programs. STRESS!!! I have a high GPA, good research experience, strong LORs, a well-written SOP but my quant GRE score is abysmally low. Like, so bad that despite my As in stats and research methods, I think the score could kill my whole application. My own fault since I procrastinated taking the GRE, and didn't bother reviewing/relearning all of the ninth-grade math I have completely forgotten.

So I'm preparing to be rejected from all programs I've applied to and trying to determine if I want to do a master's program next year or wait and apply again next year. This is a second career for me so time is of the essence since I'm not 23...

Sigh. Damn GRE. But I have no one to blame but myself.

Good luck to everyone else, though!

On 11/29/2015, 4:00:58, xEB0511 said:

Darn I guess having longer conversations with potential PIs prior to real interviews mean nothing? How were your skype conversations? I've had a few sykpe/phone calls and now I'm thinking they won't really help my chances!

The Skype convos were good. The first one we talked a lot about their research plans since this person is a relatively new faculty member and the second one we talked research in general. Maybe an hour in total.

I'm not going to speculate about why either situation derailed but I would like to think it's a positive sign to receive that kind of communication early on, regardless how it turned out for me. Potential PIs wouldn't waste their time just to humor some random applicant if they didn't think it was worthwhile!

On 12/1/2015, 5:11:01, tallulah said:

Don't be sad about something you can't change, try to forget it! I firmly believe that others don't see our mistakes in the way we do.

A letter for one of my programs was over a week late and the university didn't care. I was told they didn't even "organize the package" until a month+ after the deadline, when faculty got back from winter break. 

35 minutes ago, mb712 said:

The Skype convos were good. The first one we talked a lot about their research plans since this person is a relatively new faculty member and the second one we talked research in general. Maybe an hour in total.

I'm not going to speculate about why either situation derailed but I would like to think it's a positive sign to receive that kind of communication early on, regardless how it turned out for me. Potential PIs wouldn't waste their time just to humor some random applicant if they didn't think it was worthwhile!

Like an hour each conversation? Sorry for asking so many detailed questions but I'm starting to get anxious about the process. I don't have the best academic background but I do have great research experience. I'm thinking it's not enough to make me a competitive applicant though. 

On 12/4/2015, 6:37:11, xEB0511 said:

Like an hour each conversation? Sorry for asking so many detailed questions but I'm starting to get anxious about the process. I don't have the best academic background but I do have great research experience. I'm thinking it's not enough to make me a competitive applicant though. 

An hour total.

I felt the exact same way as you this time last year and I'm currently about to finish my first semester of graduate school. Try not to completely drive yourself crazy over this! (I know, easier said than done.)

Anyone else want to say where they applied? Here are my programs:

Indiana University Bloomington
UCLA
UC Davis
University of Southern California
University of Michigan
Columbia University
U of Chicago

Also anyone else doing social cognition/social neuroscience?? Would love to talk about who you want to work with and your interests.

Wow! Those are awesome programs. Good luck!

My programs:

University of Connecticut
University of Washington
University of Utah
UC Santa Cruz
University of Houston
Arizona State University

My primary interest is intergroup relations/social hierarchies and status and power. However, I also like health psych and work in a health psych lab so I am applying to those programs too. 

1 hour ago, jlh26 said:

My programs:

University of Washington
University of Utah
UC Santa Cruz
University of Houston
Arizona State University

My primary interest is intergroup relations/social hierarchies and status and power. However, I also like health psych and work in a health psych lab so I am applying to those programs too. 

Mine are below. I'm going for intergroup processes/conflict and social identity, emphasizing stigmatized identities.

6 hours ago, PsychWill said:

Anyone else want to say where they applied? Here are my programs:

Indiana University Bloomington
UCLA
UC Davis
University of Southern California
University of Michigan
Columbia University
U of Chicago

Also anyone else doing social cognition/social neuroscience?? Would love to talk about who you want to work with and your interests.

I'm doing social/cognitive neuroscience programs. I think I posted (some of) my schools in one of these threads. We don't have any overlap with programs but I can maybe guess who you are applying to at Columbia. You can PM me to talk about who I want to work with etc. 

Hi,

I completed social psycholog Master's degree in the UK.

Now, I consider applying 4 years phD programs in States. I don't need funding, but I have seen that programs are all 6-7 years. Do I have any chance to count my degree, or do you know any schools which have 4 years doctoral programs. I am interested in inter group relations especially conflicts, climate change and social heritage.

Thank you in advance.

20 hours ago, jlh26 said:

My programs:

University of Washington
University of Utah
UC Santa Cruz
University of Houston
Arizona State University

So, I've lived in Santa Cruz and live in Houston now. If you end up going to either one of these programs and want to know what it's really like to live there, I'd be happy to tell you what I know :) 

4 hours ago, lbierstedt said:

So, I've lived in Santa Cruz and live in Houston now. If you end up going to either one of these programs and want to know what it's really like to live there, I'd be happy to tell you what I know :) 

YES!! I don't know if I will get offers at either place but I'd still appreciate feedback on what it's like to live in both places. Not being from California, my main concern there is the extremely high cost of living. But I'm also curious about the social environment. As for Houston, I know nothing about it and would love to know your thoughts. 

22 hours ago, Mystic_Fog said:

Mine are below. I'm going for intergroup processes/conflict and social identity, emphasizing stigmatized identities.

It sounds like we have similar interests. Good luck to you! U of Washington is pretty much my longshot school so I'm not expecting anything but the program is fantastic. 

Did you contact your POIs at UConn and U of Washington before applying? I didn't since they posted on their websites whether or not they are accepting students but now I think it would have been a good idea to send a quick email anyway. Oh well. I have emailed my POIs at my other programs. 

1 hour ago, jlh26 said:

YES!! I don't know if I will get offers at either place but I'd still appreciate feedback on what it's like to live in both places. Not being from California, my main concern there is the extremely high cost of living. But I'm also curious about the social environment. As for Houston, I know nothing about it and would love to know your thoughts. 

Cool, I'll PM you :)

On 12/10/2015 at 3:36 PM, jlh26 said:

It sounds like we have similar interests. Good luck to you! U of Washington is pretty much my longshot school so I'm not expecting anything but the program is fantastic. 

Did you contact your POIs at UConn and U of Washington before applying? I didn't since they posted on their websites whether or not they are accepting students but now I think it would have been a good idea to send a quick email anyway. Oh well. I have emailed my POIs at my other programs. 

I did! What I actually did for people who were already clear on their webpages that they were accepting students was say "I would like to confirm that you are still accepting students for Fall 2016 enrollment"  to show that I did my homework and knew. 

My POI at Wash sent me a very positive response and I was glad I contacted my POI at Conn; turns out she was planning on accepting grad students but something happened (I'm not sure what) and she wasn't anymore but her page didn't reflect that. So when I emailed her, she actually told me her page was out of date and she wasn't accepting students this year anymore. Luckily, I was able to switch to a different POI, otherwise that would've been a whole app down the drain! 

They are all fantastic programs and I love all of them, so I'm a bit nervous because while I have some awesome/unique experiences, my objective criteria is pretty middle of the road. I guess we'll see what happens!