Already Freaking Out?

johndiligent

I mailed everything for my first deadline today. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Part of me can't believe that this process is actually solidifying into reality.

Wow, thats one early deadline. What university and semester? My earliest deadline is Dec 10.

Wow, thats one early deadline. What university and semester? My earliest deadline is Dec 10.

It's for the University of Alberta. The deadline is December 1, but I'm trying to have them all in a month early. Plus I have 5 apps due in January so I'm trying to get ahead of that.

I'll be waiting soon, too :S. First deadlines on Dec 1st, will be mailing it all within the first week of November. And I'll do the January applications the week after that just because my letter writers will be ready for it.

I'm currently submitting all my applications online, except for the UC schools because I need to finish my Personal History Statement. I'm hoping to finish all that in the next 2 days. Then I need to finish a portfolio for a school I'm applying to. Oh gosh, it feels like I'm running out of time.

I already finished all of my applications with the hope that I would stress out less since everything would be out of my hands. However, I spent the last week or two freaking out because I hadn't heard from one of my LOR writes in months. He then e-mailed me yesterday to say that he finished all of them, and now all of my applications are complete. So, now I am freaking out wanting to hear something from schools everyday. Yeah I don't think the freaking out will come to an end until I get accepted somewhere.

I mailed everything for my first deadline today. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Part of me can't believe that this process is actually solidifying into reality.

Every day yields a new thing to freak out about. I haven't submitted a thing yet -- but I have just registered online recommenders, which, for me, was enough to solidify the hypothetical terror of waiting to a very real sense of dread.

Commence nail-biting. I'll be lucky if I have cuticles by the time April rolls around.

Edited by glasses

Every day yields a new thing to freak out about. I haven't submitted a thing yet -- but I have just registered online recommenders, which, for me, was enough to solidify the hypothetical terror of waiting to a very real sense of dread.

Commence nail-biting. I'll be lucky if I have cuticles by the time April rolls around.

I'm pretty sure I'll have taken up smoking sometime in March.

Really, I just hope I get in SOMEWHERE. I don't want to have to go through this godawful process ever again (at least until PhD apps). That's really the sum total of my anxiety: that I won't get in anywhere at all. I could handle being rejected by 8 schools, as long as it's not all 9.

Impressive to those folks who are getting things in now. I've submitted one app, though it still needs LORs.

I'm hoping to submit & mail everything off by Thanksgiving. I have Dec 15 & Jan 15 deadlines. Then, my goal is to completely forget about applications and this whole PhD nonsense until March. Haha like *THAT'S* going to happen.

You are all doing good! I had planned to get a whole bunch of it done this summer, but then it felt too early, so I didn't. I am doing 8 applications, with deadlines ranging from 12-15 to 2-1. I have to take the GRE again in November, so I can't submit anything until then. I have gotten 2 recommenders squared away and have filled out most of the grunt work on the applications. Still working on the statement.

I am planning to stagger the applications so that some of them are funded after winter quarter's financial aid check arrives.

It is going to be a long couple of months.

I'm pretty sure I'll have taken up smoking sometime in March.

Really, I just hope I get in SOMEWHERE. I don't want to have to go through this godawful process ever again (at least until PhD apps). That's really the sum total of my anxiety: that I won't get in anywhere at all. I could handle being rejected by 8 schools, as long as it's not all 9.

See, I'm already a smoker. I used to smoke 3 packs a day (since I was 14! Heaven help me and my lungs), and I've been working on cutting that down slowly to ease myself into the idea of quitting . . . two months ago, I had it down to 1.5 packs a day, where I held steady until about two weeks ago, when it spontaneously increased to 2. This is not going in the right direction.

I'm with you on the number of rejections thing -- and I'm applying to 9, too!

Current neurosis: a couple of my recommenders have already uploaded their recommendations to the few schools that I've started filling out online forms for. I can't tell whether that's good (i.e., they liked me enough to already write 'em?) or bad (i.e., they uploaded a two-word Word document saying "she sucks"). I know I shouldn't be thinking like this: my recommenders are fabulously supportive rock stars, and they've done this a gazillion times before. And they rock enough that if they didn't want to recommend me, I'm sure they would have just said so instead of taking on extra work into their already packed-solid schedules. I also can't help but think that it might sound kind of belittling to think of my recommenders this way -- I mean, they're awesome, and I trust them, and they're crazy brilliant -- but that's not my intent. It's just that this whole process is so nerve-wracking that any place where self-doubt can creep in, it does.

I think I will be better at actually going to grad school than I am at applying. What's with that?

Man, where the heck are you guys applying with all these late deadlines?! My first one is due Nov 1! Granted that's something they are calling "preferential deadline" but I have enough homespun folk sense to know that "preferred" means "your a** better."

My freaking out is about every thing. For a control freak, OC, analytical, logical person like myself? The one who wants to write something and then lease myself out with the text so that I can stand over you while you read to make certain I am not misconstrued? Is akin to water torture. It's killing me. I hit a button and then I lose all control? The heck is that?

I checked this online results thing here? And people aren't notified until March?!!! I'll be a haggard clove smoker on vodka IVs.

And then I think of actually CHOOSING programs and then I freak out.

Then I imagine I don't have any programs to choose from and I hyperventilate.

So no matter how I imagine it I freak out.

Wait. This wasn't about me? See! This process has made me a horrible person.

Edited by coyabean

Man, where the heck are you guys applying with all these late deadlines?! My first one is due Nov 1! Granted that's something they are calling "preferential deadline" but I have enough homespun folk sense to know that "preferred" means "your a** better."

I think that's pretty early even for a preferred deadline though I suppose it depends on field. Mine range from December 1 to March 1. Like you, I've always gone for the earliest date mentioned anywhere and besides that I've been told to submit every app at least a month in advance of whatever they specify. So I suppose unofficially my first deadline is Nov 1, too.

I just finished submitting all my applications online yesterday. I also sent all, but 4 GRE scores (I need to find out which departments to send them to). I'm still in freak out mode because I need to finish my portfolio and send it off at least by December 1. All my recommendations are not too and one of my references is out of the country. I'm hoping everything will be done by mid-November so that I won't be in this state of panic.

Edited by joro