Penn GSE 2016

phillyhed

8 hours ago, KaySsaem said:

I wonder if the reason the M.S.Ed. in Policy decisions seem to be taking so long is because they are waiting to hear back from Ph.D. applicants offered master's positions.

I doubt that constitutes so many people that they would hold off on the rest of the pool... they could just be factored in.  My best guess is that Policy is generally one of the most popular areas, so they just have more to review?  At least, that's been my observation across the different schools.

1 hour ago, vandemataram said:

Yes and yes! All of the other interviewees were super qualified (and generally cool people) so I totally understand why I was waitlisted! I'm just a ball of nerves because so far I have two waitlists, one rejection, and one masters acceptance instead of PhD. Only waiting on one more, so hopefully either that or one of the waitlists works out! Good luck to you!!!

Thanks. I'm in a similar situation: an acceptance but nothing on funding just yet, and this. Waiting for it all to be over. Yet to begin writing my masters thesis and probably won't until it's all sorted. And good luck to you too!

Hi All,:ph34r: I've been lurking here for ever. My curiosity eventually got the better of me. Has anyone from the IEDP program heard back yet? I submitted early in February and my application is still not reading "Ready to review" because the English Requirement reads "needed" and I emailed to correct it. but still nothing. I already have one rejection and i am waiting to hear back from UPenn and the Uof T. I am an international applicant and I need to know before my F1 status runs out as I finish my degree. Please put me out of my misery. :wacko:

30 minutes ago, BeaLaCuriosa said:

Hi All,:ph34r: I've been lurking here for ever. My curiosity eventually got the better of me. Has anyone from the IEDP program heard back yet? I submitted early in February and my application is still not reading "Ready to review" because the English Requirement reads "needed" and I emailed to correct it. but still nothing. I already have one rejection and i am waiting to hear back from UPenn and the Uof T. I am an international applicant and I need to know before my F1 status runs out as I finish my degree. Please put me out of my misery. :wacko:

Hi! When I submitted early Jan, I had the same thing -- I emailed and they manually waived the English requirement, and it was ready for review mid Jan, I think! And I heard back mid Feb, thankfully with good news! Perhaps you could try calling or emailing again? Though I think they were also super busy in Feb as well, so it might take longer.... All the best of luck! 

5 hours ago, BeaLaCuriosa said:

I heard back January 15 after applying mid-December (it took about a week to be marked Ready for Review), and I know that at least 3 people on this site have also heard back (with good news!!).  If it's still not corrected, I recommend contacting them more directly (via phone if possible).  They're generally very responsive to any concerns I've thrown their way.  

Good luck everyone!  

I just got an email from Penn, and was accepted to their MSED Higher Education program with the $13,500 merit scholarship. I applied to the counterpart program at HGSE and I'm waiting eagerly next week before I make my decision. I'm also contemplating just going straight into the job market for work experience. I'm currently a teacher, and unsure if I want to do another grad program. (I am finishing up a M.S in Ed at the moment) 

Oh, decisions decisions...^_^

Just now, Dracos said:

I just got an email from Penn, and was accepted to their MSED Higher Education program with the $13,500 merit scholarship. I applied to the counterpart program at HGSE and I'm waiting eagerly next week before I make my decision. I'm also contemplating just going straight into the job market for work experience. I'm currently a teacher, and unsure if I want to do another grad program. (I am finishing up a M.S in Ed at the moment) 

You sound like me!!  I have an offer from Penn, am awaiting HGSE next week.  I am currently teaching and finishing an MS Ed in Literacy right now (I'm actually in my class right now :lol: ).  Although, I am definitely set on either Penn or HGSE.  It'll be a hard choice, I'm hoping finances will decide it for me, as I applied for a FLAS ($33K) scholarship at Penn.

8 minutes ago, Heather1011 said:

You sound like me!!  I have an offer from Penn, am awaiting HGSE next week.  I am currently teaching and finishing an MS Ed in Literacy right now (I'm actually in my class right now :lol: ).  Although, I am definitely set on either Penn or HGSE.  It'll be a hard choice, I'm hoping finances will decide it for me, as I applied for a FLAS ($33K) scholarship at Penn.

Finances would be a very important factor. In this economy, I don't think I'd be willing to take on $50k in debt to pursue a master (especially after already about to complete one). I understand that there's also grad assistantships available, and I'd be curious to see if/how much those fund and if they cover any significant portion. I think HGSE would be worth the debt over Penn (HGSE is slightly cheaper). Have you visited yet for either program? I see you're looking to study International Ed. ^_^  

We do sound alike (currently teaching and working toward a masters as well haha) 

Edited by Dracos

10 minutes ago, Dracos said:

Finances would be a very important factor. In this economy, I don't think I'd be willing to take on $50k in debt to pursue a master (especially after already about to complete one). I understand that there's also grad assistantships available, and I'd be curious to see if/how much those fund and if they cover any significant portion. I think HGSE would be worth the debt over Penn (HGSE is slightly cheaper). Have you visited yet for either program? 

We do sound alike (currently teaching and working toward a masters as well haha) 

I've physically been to Penn but never visited GSE.  I will be attending the Admitted Students Day April 2.  You? 

I think the near $25K difference in tuition for Penn vs HGSE is significant (but I suppose is fair for my program, considering Penn is 10 courses + guaranteed international internship placement vs 8 courses at HGSE).  However, cost of living in Philly vs Boston/Cambridge is very different (I'm looking at apt rooms on craigslist right near Penn GSE for $500/mo, as opposed to twice that amount in Boston), so perhaps it evens out.  I'm in a fortunate position in that my current masters degree is at a public CUNY, which is the most affordable university system in the country (my whole degree will have cost about $12,000, so working over the course of 3 years has made this very manageable.)

Is any part of you considering the prestige/future job market outcomes for having attended Penn vs Harvard?  I feel that within academia the difference is negligible, but in the world at large, Harvard has bigger pull.  I'm just not sure how seriously to consider this factor in decisionmaking, all else being equal.

Edited by Heather1011

3 minutes ago, Heather1011 said:

I've physically been to Penn but never visited GSE.  I will be attending the Admitted Students Day April 2.  You? 

I think the near $25K difference in tuition for Penn vs HGSE is significant (but I suppose is fair for my program, considering Penn is 10 courses + guaranteed international internship placement vs 8 courses at HGSE).  However, cost of living in Philly vs Boston/Cambridge is very different (I'm looking at apt rooms on craigslist right near Penn GSE for $500/mo, as opposed to twice that amount in Boston), so perhaps it evens out.  I'm in a fortunate position in that my current masters degree is at a public CUNY, which is the most affordable university system in the country (my whole degree will have cost about $12,000, so working over the course of 3 years has made this very manageable.)

Is any part of you considering the prestige/future job market outcomes for having attended Penn vs Harvard?  I feel that within academia the difference is negligible, but in the world at large, Harvard has bigger pull.  I'm just not sure how seriously to consider this factor in decisionmaking, all else being equal.

Very good points Heather. The internship experience, and extra courses are something that I overlooked. My program also offers a guaranteed assistantship of some sort at Penn, however, HGSE doesn't seem to offer that (or doesn't advertise it at least). That's awesome that you managed to get your current master for so cheap. The CUNY/SUNY university systems are awesome in NY. I'm originally from Harlem/Queens (lived in both places growing up). 

Wow, $500/month vs $1000/month is a huge difference. I bet there are some many comparably cheap places to live in Philly. I haven't decided about attending the visitation day yet, but I'm contemplating it. 

In terms of job prospects, I agree with you that in academia the difference might be negligible. To the public, however, I feel like the Harvard name easily sticks out over Penn. Whenever I've heard UPenn mentioned, people always mistaken it for Penn State. It seems like there's so many factors to consider. Have you reached out to any students yet? I've talked to one student from HGSE, but haven't been able to talk to anyone at Penn yet in my program. 

9 minutes ago, Dracos said:

Very good points Heather. The internship experience, and extra courses are something that I overlooked. My program also offers a guaranteed assistantship of some sort at Penn, however, HGSE doesn't seem to offer that (or doesn't advertise it at least). That's awesome that you managed to get your current master for so cheap. The CUNY/SUNY university systems are awesome in NY. I'm originally from Harlem/Queens (lived in both places growing up). 

Wow, $500/month vs $1000/month is a huge difference. I bet there are some many comparably cheap places to live in Philly. I haven't decided about attending the visitation day yet, but I'm contemplating it. 

In terms of job prospects, I agree with you that in academia the difference might be negligible. To the public, however, I feel like the Harvard name easily sticks out over Penn. Whenever I've heard UPenn mentioned, people always mistaken it for Penn State. It seems like there's so many factors to consider. Have you reached out to any students yet? I've talked to one student from HGSE, but haven't been able to talk to anyone at Penn yet in my program. 

My brother went to Penn State, so I already  know that my mom was confused :lol:  It's frustrating that the general public has that misconception.

I've been in a LOT of contact with several current students in my program at Penn, but none at HGSE (figured I don't want to bother anyone if I'm getting rejected :lol: ) .  They have given me a good idea of the program and how well connected the faculty are to different organizations, how intimate it is, etc.  I really feel great about Penn, but I think if I get into HGSE, a lot of these minor misconception things will frustrate me.

1 hour ago, Dracos said:

Congratulations! I also just got an email from Penn and was accepted into the same program! However, I did not receive any notification about aid =\ I hope that doesn't mean they aren't planning on giving me any.

I am also a teacher but want to make my way into higher ed! :)

2 hours ago, Heather1011 said:

Ahh, I wish I knew about FLAS beforehand! It looks like the deadline was today. I'm also in the stage of figuring out finances as being able to go to Penn would be amazing!

17 minutes ago, endlesscoffee said:

Ahh, I wish I knew about FLAS beforehand! It looks like the deadline was today. I'm also in the stage of figuring out finances as being able to go to Penn would be amazing!

Is language study a key part of your future plans/program?  I'm curious how it ties in with psychology and all that.  You know what's mind-boggling about the FLAS, is that even with a $33K scholarship, and the $10K merit scholarship Penn has offered me, I would still need to pay for $26K plus cost of living.  Is this elitism or what?  But I want :D 

I noticed that all the amazing speakers that have come to Penn this year, in the same week, they go to HGSE.  So on that front, I think both schools are top-level connected!

Edited by Heather1011

On 2/26/2016 at 3:51 AM, Kompetent said:

Stanford and Harvard I know defer to master's pools if rejected from PhD. Well, rejected from both. Waiting to hear back from POLS at Stanford and Special Studies at Harvard.

@Kompetent did you hear back from Stanford for the POLS program? It seems that Stanford ICE and LDT acceptances have been sent out already.

On March 1, 2016 at 0:15 AM, BeaLaCuriosa said:

I am an internaional applicant too. I submitted my application for IEDP on Jan 23 and it was only ready for review on Feb 11. I emailed the admission office about it and it turned out that they had issues with matching my GRE scores - my name was hyphenated in the GRE report but not in my Penn application... My application became ready for review 2 days after I got the reply from the admission office. Perhaps you should also contact the admission office and see if there's anything wrong with the application? 

On 3/3/2016 at 8:19 PM, HBDXB said:

@Kompetent did you hear back from Stanford for the POLS program? It seems that Stanford ICE and LDT acceptances have been sent out already.

Yup. Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeejected. My SOP was pretty weak for that program and to be honest I didn't align all that well since POLS is, well, policy and leadership and I'm more interested in culture/philosophy and leadership. Oh wells.

On March 3, 2016 at 10:28 PM, teppeice said:

I am an internaional applicant too. I submitted my application for IEDP on Jan 23 and it was only ready for review on Feb 11. I emailed the admission office about it and it turned out that they had issues with matching my GRE scores - my name was hyphenated in the GRE report but not in my Penn application... My application became ready for review 2 days after I got the reply from the admission office. Perhaps you should also contact the admission office and see if there's anything wrong with the application? 

Thank you for your reply. I haven't been here for sometime, because I decided to have some faith and lower my anxiety. I guess it paid off. God is so good I got in to HGSE. 

My friends are so overjoyed that I am infected as well because It felt kind of numb after the first rejection. I am still waiting on UPenn though and I know the Uof T offer if it comes will make this one of the most difficult choices I have ever made. Has anyone ever said no to Harvard and lived to regret it?

I wish you all the best and pray you get into the program of your choice. :)

3 hours ago, BeaLaCuriosa said:

Thank you for your reply. I haven't been here for sometime, because I decided to have some faith and lower my anxiety. I guess it paid off. God is so good I got in to HGSE. 

My friends are so overjoyed that I am infected as well because It felt kind of numb after the first rejection. I am still waiting on UPenn though and I know the Uof T offer if it comes will make this one of the most difficult choices I have ever made. Has anyone ever said no to Harvard and lived to regret it?

I wish you all the best and pray you get into the program of your choice. :)

I asked that same question ("Would YOU turn down Harvard?") in this general thread outside of Education.  Interesting and really hard discussion for me too.

The Harvard acceptance is still so fresh.  All I can say, is that the way the people around me reacted is affecting me right now.  When I told people I got into Penn, they were like Congrats!  When I told people I got into HGSE, they couldn't believe the words they were hearing and everyone in every corner of my life was freaking out.  That means a lot about what the word Harvard can do, I'm thinking mostly about future employers.

I wish HGSE had the internship that IEDP has, which would make this so easy for me.  The money situation is still TBD...

6 hours ago, Heather1011 said:

I asked that same question ("Would YOU turn down Harvard?") in this general thread outside of Education.  Interesting and really hard discussion for me too.

The Harvard acceptance is still so fresh.  All I can say, is that the way the people around me reacted is affecting me right now.  When I told people I got into Penn, they were like Congrats!  When I told people I got into HGSE, they couldn't believe the words they were hearing and everyone in every corner of my life was freaking out.  That means a lot about what the word Harvard can do, I'm thinking mostly about future employers.

I wish HGSE had the internship that IEDP has, which would make this so easy for me.  The money situation is still TBD...

Interesting discussion in the Decisions thread, thanks for starting it! All the best for your decision.

36 minutes ago, rfb211 said:

I just got into the Master's in Ed Policy! Does anyone know if/when there is an accepted students day?

It's 10am - 7pm on Saturday April 2.  Only TEP and HE seem to have individual events, but there are breakout sessions in the agenda for each program on the general day.  You should get an email to RSVP to it.