Any other Quantitative Psychology applicants out there?

quantpsych2

Me! Me! Me!

If by credentials you are referring to qualifications, past experiences of some sorts, or "prepared-ness," then yes, I am very concerned.  Not that I feel unprepared at all, but I feel more or less clueless as in what the programs value specifically. They say they value this and that, but the requirements do not appear operational. 

GOOD LUCK!

12 hours ago, quantpsych2 said:

Where are you applying?

where are you applying?

I feel rather lazy right now, and so I won't answer the OP's initial questions but I just want to mention something I've realized. You don't need to be in a program that specifically states it has a quantitative psych tract to do quant work. Don't let titles limit your search! Good luck all. 

I am :).  I'm a little nervous about my credentials, I'm currently in a MA program (second year) in quant, but my math background as far as coursework goes is sparse.  I did calc in high school and then didn't do much math until discovering quant as a junior.  I have the aptitude but I find university math classes intimidating because of the grades and the format, so I've audited some classes and done independent study.  (Please excuse my casual tone in this comment, I prefer to write like I speak).  

Here's my history/stats

-I did my undergrad at UNC-CH and got a BA in Psych and Linguistics.  GPA: 3.59

-Worked as a data analyst for two years at a non-profit; was employee of the year (doesn't hurt to mention)

-Currently in MA program and have focused on measurement and modelling, also individual differences. GPA: 4.28/4.33

-GRE (v/q/a): 163/163/5.5

-Posters/publications: 10 posters (7 first author), 1 publication.  Notably, I presented a poster at the society of multivariate experimental psychology's annual conference, which is a rarity for a student who only has one year of grad school completed.  

Interests: Methodological: Longitudinal methods, measurement, psychometrics, modelling, statistical dependencies; substantive: substance abuse, mood and well-being

So the million dollar question...where did I apply

Completed: UC Davis, UNC, Vanderbilt, Notre Dame

Will complete v soon: CUNY Graduate Center

Other possibilities: UC Merced (They have a later deadline), University of New Mexico (in the Ed program).

That's about it.  I wish you all the best of luck.  

Tangent:  There's this perception that getting into quantitative psychology programs is easier because there is a smaller applicant pool.  While this is true, it does not mean it is easy by any means.  It's not like a program will accept the best students in any given pool of applicants just to have new students.  If there aren't promising applicants in the pool, they'll just accept 0 new students that year.  This isn't really directed at ppl in this thread, but rather for posterity.

Also, if you're a clinical person who is good at math and not totally completely 100% sure that you want/need to be a practitioner, consider quant.  Especially if you're still in your undergrad.  Clinical is insanely competitive.  No, I mean I N S A N E L Y competitive.  As in, more competitive than law school and med school.  You might be exceptional, but unless you walk on water or have some other advantage/super power, you probably won't get in.  One of my mentors from undergrad applied three times, they were able to get into UNC (and other excellent schools) after volunteering basically full time for two years in a clinical lab. I don't want to discount this individual's ambition, because that was certainly a factor.  However, they were fortunate to be able to volunteer for two years to build up their resume.   With quant, you will have the training to be able to do research in pretty much any area you want.  You won't be a therapist though.  It's just pretty hard to watch some bright and talented individuals get rejected from every school they apply to, knowing that their talents would be greatly appreciated in quant.  

36 minutes ago, VentureIntoNothingness said:

Hey! Who in UNC/Notre Dame are you applying to? :)

Are you familiar with UNC? ... Is my impression correct that UNC sends out interview invitation letters insanely early (before Dec. 15)?

Hey there, I'm interested in working with Curran, Bauer, or Bollen at UNC, and Wang or Cheng at ND.  You may be aware of this, but UNC does admissions on a departmental basis. You are assigned a first year advisor, so you must have *some* interests in common, but it's not like the apprentice model that other programs have.  What about you? 

I'm familiar with UNC, they have historically sent out invites before the end of December, so you are correct.  Though we may be getting our info from the same source :p...did you look at the results search on gradcafe? The same is true for Vanderbilt in quant, though I see you're applying there for clinical and it is probably different for that program.  I think your background in math and psych, plus your GRE scores, make you a competitive applicant.  Did you email with any faculty before you applied?  

4 minutes ago, xolxs said:

What about you? 

For UNC, I am applying for joint admission. For Quant, I named Curran and Bauer; Youngstrom for clinical. For Notre Dame, Wang and Cheng. I have a sense that you are interested in longitudinal analysis?

Yes. From results search, apparently someone got invitation from UNC around Dec. 9 last year. And that is just "horrifying". 

Thanks for the "compliment." I do not have a high GPA, which got me worried.  

I did have some email exchanges with Dr. Curran. He's very nice. However, I did not contact Notre Dame folks. How about you?

1 minute ago, VentureIntoNothingness said:

For UNC, I am applying for joint admission. For Quant, I named Curran and Bauer; Youngstrom for clinical. For Notre Dame, Wang and Cheng. I have a sense that you are interested in longitudinal analysis?

Yes. From results search, apparently someone got invitation from UNC around Dec. 9 last year. And that is just "horrifying". 

Thanks for the "compliment." I do not have a high GPA, which got me worried.  

I did have some email exchanges with Dr. Curran. He's very nice. However, I did not contact Notre Dame folks. How about you?

haha, it was meant to be a compliment!    How low was your GPA (if you feel like sharing)?  Generally, it's not a dealbreaker (in quant) unless it's unaccounted for and/or your whole application package is weak. And how are your letters?   I wish I had come on here in early November...it would have been nice to chat with someone else going through the process.  I'm curious about how you framed your quant interests for your statement and whether you integrated anything about your philosophy background. I feel like a lot of quant people I've met are interested in philosophy, the two seem to go hand in hand.  

Yeah, so it looks like invites went out December 6th (a Friday) in 2013, and the 9th (Tuesday) last year as you said.  It's very nerve-wracking.  I'm trying to just BREATHE and not check my email excessively.  Patrick is super nice and does great work. I'm glad you got a chance to correspond with him :).  

I talked with Notre Dame folks and they were so kind and helpful.  When I met a current grad student at a conference, she spoke highly of the program.  So that makes me very excited about ND.  And yes, I'm definitely interested in longitudinal methodology.  What are your interests?    

My cumulative GPA is 3.5. I am not sure how to assess my letters, one is from the lecturer I TA-ed for, two are from research mentors, and another from the director of clinical training in my school who happens to be my honors advisor. My letter writers said that my letters were substantial. 

As my substantiative interest lies with evidence-based measurements and measurement-based care, I am definitely interested in measurement issues, psychometrics, and IRT. In utilizing such measurements, I am interested in longitudinal data analysis, clustered  data analysis, and growth curve modeling. 

I did mention but not much about my philosophy background. But I would agree that philosophy helps with my studies in psychology/mathematics.

This waiting is nerve wrecking, especially as I am having my finals next week. I am glad that we can commiserate! Are you interested in exchanging other forms of communication methods through PM?

4 minutes ago, VentureIntoNothingness said:

My cumulative GPA is 3.5. I am not sure how to assess my letters, one is from the lecturer I TA-ed for, two are from research mentors, and another from the director of clinical training in my school who happens to be my honors advisor. My letter writers said that my letters were substantial. 

As my substantiative interest lies with evidence-based measurements and measurement-based care, I am definitely interested in measurement issues, psychometrics, and IRT. In utilizing such measurements, I am interested in longitudinal data analysis, clustered  data analysis, and growth curve modeling. 

I did mention but not much about my philosophy background. But I would agree that philosophy helps with my studies in psychology/mathematics.

This waiting is nerve wrecking, especially as I am having my finals next week. I am glad that we can commiserate! Are you interested in exchanging other forms of communication methods through PM?

Oh, I wouldn't worry too much about a 3.5.  I think GPA only really matters independently if it's quite low (3.2), or a perfect 4.0.  Same goes for GRE, and you have a 170 in quant, so that will look good.  Those sound like great letters and interests, too.  IRT is so cool, right?  And sure, feel free to PM me :).  there are only like 4 people in quant so we must stick together! 

Me me me!!

I applied to Vanderbilt, ETSU, UTK (Tennessee--Knoxville), and the University of Memphis. I specified either Quant or Experimental psych. I've submitted all my apps and the waiting is killing me! My letter writers all said they would write fabulous letters but that doesn't stop the nerves :unsure:

23 minutes ago, captainmorgan514 said:

Me me me!!

I applied to Vanderbilt, ETSU, UTK (Tennessee--Knoxville), and the University of Memphis. I specified either Quant or Experimental psych. I've submitted all my apps and the waiting is killing me! My letter writers all said they would write fabulous letters but that doesn't stop the nerves :unsure:

I totally feel you. I've had a couple of sleepless nights now and my finals are next week (which exacerbates things). It seems quant programs notify their applicants relatively early. So I am quite nervous/excited to find out the results! What is ETSU?

1 hour ago, VentureIntoNothingness said:

I totally feel you. I've had a couple of sleepless nights now and my finals are next week (which exacerbates things). It seems quant programs notify their applicants relatively early. So I am quite nervous/excited to find out the results! What is ETSU?

ETSU is East Tennessee State University. They have an experimental program there. It seems quant programs are few and far between. :/

I hope they do notify soon because I'm on pins and needles! I keep nitpicking everything in my application wondering if it's good enough.

Me! Me!!

Thanks for creating this post, by the way. It seems like there's only so few of us!

I applied to NC Chapel Hill and Notre Dame as well! And a few others (UCLA, Arizona, Merced, Virginia...). I am interested in longitudinal and multivariate.

I agree that the wait is nerve-wracking... I saw that UNC already sent their invitations for their visit/interviews. Did anyone get one?

I did not get it. :wacko: I am not sure if they are still sending invitations... oh well. Who are you applying to for ASU/UCLA? (PM me perhaps? if you don't feel comfortable posting it publicly)

9 hours ago, PsychStats said:

Me! Me!!

Thanks for creating this post, by the way. It seems like there's only so few of us!

I applied to NC Chapel Hill and Notre Dame as well! And a few others (UCLA, Arizona, Merced, Virginia...). I am interested in longitudinal and multivariate.

I agree that the wait is nerve-wracking... I saw that UNC already sent their invitations for their visit/interviews. Did anyone get one?

9 minutes ago, VentureIntoNothingness said:

mind sharing which schools you are applying to? :) 

I have a developmental and quantitative focus so my choices are interesting. I applied to UNC-CH (Quant), Vanderbilt (Quant), Wisconsin-Madison (Developmental), and Penn State (HDFS-- they have a developmental methodology concentration).

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/17/2015 at 8:12 PM, east-coast-girl said:

I have a developmental and quantitative focus so my choices are interesting. I applied to UNC-CH (Quant), Vanderbilt (Quant), Wisconsin-Madison (Developmental), and Penn State (HDFS-- they have a developmental methodology concentration).

Hey, have you heard anything from vanderbilt?

On 12/17/2015 at 8:12 PM, east-coast-girl said:

Hey, have you heard anything from vanderbil

4 hours ago, east-coast-girl said:

Unfortunately, I have not heard from them. 

I just heard from a current student that they sent their interviews out.  Only two faculty seem to be taking students.  I'm sort of bummed about it, but the faculty who I had the best fit with weren't taking students so I'm trying to not be too down.  Good luck with the other schools.  

Also, did anyone else apply to Davis?  I'm waiting to hear about interviews but I haven't received anything and they're supposed to go out by tomorrow so I'm getting nervous.  

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone hear anything from anywhere? ;)

I had a skype call with my POI at UC Davis but then got an e-mail saying that even though I was a "top contender" they invited someone they felt better fit in with the program and faculty. :( Hopefully you guys are doing better!

On 1/22/2016 at 4:42 AM, winterstat said:

Did anyone hear anything from anywhere? ;)

I had a skype call with my POI at UC Davis but then got an e-mail saying that even though I was a "top contender" they invited someone they felt better fit in with the program and faculty. :( Hopefully you guys are doing better!

Unfortunately I haven't heard from anyone... Preparing myself for straight rejections ?

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/12/2016 at 4:14 PM, darcandra92 said:

Question for everyone! So I've been waitlisted at ASU, I'm on a "short list for consideration of admission" at OU, and I haven't heard from USC (I know, only three isn't that smart. I'll apply to more next time, if need be!). 

Well, congratulations in the meantime because they're all great schools with very good programs. I would be happy in any one of them... although I think ASU would be a really good one because of the prestige it carries. 

On 2/12/2016 at 4:14 PM, darcandra92 said:

If not, what kinds of jobs do you guys have to prepare?

Any data analysis job within the realm of the social sciences works well. If you happen to be specifically interested in Psychometrics, working for testing companies (ETS, Pearson, etc.) has the double-benefited of both being well-paid (within reason, I mean, it's still an intro-level position) and directly relevant to your field of study.

Or you could freelance. Lots of flexible work and interesting projects.

Anyhoo, my 0.02 right there. 

I would consider applying for a masters in an area surrounded by strong PhD programs.  State schools like that tend to be excellent feeder schools (see my PM for one tip).  

I would also consider applying for a research manager position, which will also allow you to build up some research experience and skills.

At the same time, I would spend this year building up skills in programming and quantitative psychology (see if you can take some extra uni courses).  I would do an intense search of quant programs and email the interesting ones at the start of summer to see if they are looking.