Fall 2016 Acceptances, Interviews, and Rejections Thread

gingin6789

3 minutes ago, ConsciousKid said:

Hi all!

I am curious how folks would rank the following three schools: Boston College, Boston University, and Northeastern. Obviously it depends on fit and research interests, but I am curious to know what your opinions are. How would you rank these schools according to strength and prestige?

Obviously I could look at US News ranks and all that, but I am curious to know what YOU all think.

Chime in if you can. Thanks!

Roughly, I would go BC> NE > BU. 

It is just my opinion.

6 minutes ago, ConsciousKid said:

Hi all!

I am curious how folks would rank the following three schools: Boston College, Boston University, and Northeastern. Obviously it depends on fit and research interests, but I am curious to know what your opinions are. How would you rank these schools according to strength and prestige?

Obviously I could look at US News ranks and all that, but I am curious to know what YOU all think.

For Sociology- exactly in the order you listed: BC, BU, then NEU

10 minutes ago, ConsciousKid said:

Hi all!

dude, dont listen to us. you need to be listening to the faculty in those departments. they are all similarly ranked so the best school for you is the best fit for you. also, we aren't even in grad school yet, let alone the profession. Why would we have any idea which program is best? we know nothing!!!

2 minutes ago, KLPLANTER said:

dude, dont listen to us. you need to be listening to the faculty in those departments. they are all similarly ranked so the best school for you is the best fit for you. also, we aren't even in grad school yet, let alone the profession. Why would we have any idea which program is best? we know nothing!!!

@KLPLANTER I appreciate your comment. I agree – I know what works best for me. I have had my mind made up a while ago. I was just curious to know what perception was among others interested in sociology. Wasn't actually something I was grappling with. Simply bored and curious is all. Appreciate everyone's input though!

Any info on those Harvard acceptances? I feel pretty darn confident I will be rejected, but I would love to know either way! Congrats to everyone who has acceptances thus far! I enjoy my lurking here. :) 

7 minutes ago, liesandfish said:

Any info on those Harvard acceptances? I feel pretty darn confident I will be rejected, but I would love to know either way! Congrats to everyone who has acceptances thus far! I enjoy my lurking here. :) 

I am wondering the same thing. And pretty confident a rejection is coming my way too!

15 minutes ago, KLPLANTER said:

lmao so happy that this is acknowledged. I love reading these forums for updates and encouraging words but beyond that, i agree a lot of opinions are just that- opinions. Not necessarily reliable. Excited to fix the "we know nothing!!!" soon though...for the next half decade or so! 

Hey all, jumping in late here and haven't caught up on all the posts, but just wanted to add that I'm also applying to 4 PhD Soc programs in Massachusetts.  So far had one acceptance, still waiting to hear on three others.  Good luck to all those still waiting, and congrats to those who have been accepted!  

1 minute ago, ts1493 said:

Hey all, jumping in late here and haven't caught up on all the posts, but just wanted to add that I'm also applying to 4 PhD Soc programs in Massachusetts.  So far had one acceptance, still waiting to hear on three others.  Good luck to all those still waiting, and congrats to those who have been accepted!  

Is the one accepted Soc program in Mass, Harvard? :)

3 minutes ago, pingaling said:

Hi All,

For those who are interested --- I emailed University of Pennsylvania Demography and Princeton sociology about notifications.

Penn: by end of February

Princeton around February 15

Wow, that's super late for Princeton (historically speaking) but ok then, thanks for calling for us!!

6 minutes ago, liesandfish said:

Is the one accepted Soc program in Mass, Harvard? :)

Nope! haha  

I know there's some overlap with folks who have applied to Mass schools here so if it's okay I'll just share that I applied to Northeastern, UMASS, Brandeis, and Boston College... 

I'm wondering how folks are thinking about which program makes the most sense?  Because I'm doing some work abroad I haven't been able to visit any of the programs to get a sense for them.  Beyond trying to find some match up with your interest and the work of the program, what are other factors you're looking for?

22 minutes ago, ts1493 said:

Nope! haha  

I know there's some overlap with folks who have applied to Mass schools here so if it's okay I'll just share that I applied to Northeastern, UMASS, Brandeis, and Boston College... 

I'm wondering how folks are thinking about which program makes the most sense?  Because I'm doing some work abroad I haven't been able to visit any of the programs to get a sense for them.  Beyond trying to find some match up with your interest and the work of the program, what are other factors you're looking for?

I am probably a bad person to ask/answer this because I only applied to Harvard for Soc. All of my other applications are to Criminology/Criminal Justice programs as that is my background and main focus. I applied to Harvard because a faculty member told me to when I was at a conference and we chatted because our work (really his, I am no where NEAR as established!) is quite in line with one another and he thought I would be a good unique fit into the program. That being said, I do not have high hopes of getting accepted because I have very very little sociological background. I have been accepted to 5 Criminology/CJ programs so I am thrilled enough as it is! 

In general though, I was looking for fit, funding opportunities, and expansion of my own thought and knowledge. I really want to end up somewhere that challenges me a lot and forces me to look outside my own narrow mind. I am fairly sure that all programs do this to some extent! :) 

3 minutes ago, liesandfish said:

That being said, I do not have high hopes of getting accepted because I have very very little sociological background. I have been accepted to 5 Criminology/CJ programs so I am thrilled enough as it is! 

You know, I thought the same thing.  I didn't take a sociology class in college and so have very little academic sociological experience.  But I guess I have some valuable work experience and a good fit, as I was still accepted to a pretty competitive program.  Congrats on your acceptances!  And thanks a lot for your thoughts.

49 minutes ago, ts1493 said:

I think it depends on your career goals. If you want to become a TT professor at an R1, you want to go for the highest ranked program that you get into - for the most part. Placements are much, much higher at top 10 (some will extend this to 25, and some will bicker over rankings forever) programs.

(That said, I didn't apply for any top 10 schools, and I'd like to teach/do research at an R1, so don't mind me.)

Do you think that's it for Harvard? Or is there any chance they might be contacting more people with acceptances tomorrow? It seems that in previous years all acceptances came on the same day (just judging from the results page here). Congrats to all those admitted!

Just gonna throw my hat in the ring right now and say congrats to everyone who's gotten in! Especially those who will be attending top 20 programs that are an amazing fit! Wish I could say I would be joining some of you in a PhD program, but fate had other plans it seems. 

6 hours ago, ConsciousKid said:

who feels like calling Harvard? LOL

If I don't receive a call/email by noon tomorrow, I'll give them a ring.

I applied to 8 schools and not a peep from a single one. Even if its a reject, I'd like to have some kind of news tomorrow. Might help to curb this anxiety-induced cookie binge I've been on...or tick me off enough to get in an angsty-awesome workout. 

On that note, is it weird that I also haven't heard from the following schools yet: UCLA, UCI, UCSD, and Yale?  Since I saw so many UCI and UCLA admits (and UCLA rejections), it's getting more nerve-wracking haha.  Maybe no news is good news.

Curious about correlation and causality :) -- so far .. 4 rejections And 1 acceptance to a great program. I reached out and emailed prior to submitting apps POIs at the one I got in, and none where I didn't. I know its earlyish in the acceptance cycle, but similar experience? Not so much? 

Edited by hazenyc

All my fellow Harvard applicants, I think the chance of us getting into Harvard has gone from slim to almost non-existent. To save myself the anxiety, I am already counting Harvard, along with Indiana, as rejections. Good luck to us all on the remainder of our schools!

4 hours ago, ThePastelCalico said:

Just gonna throw my hat in the ring right now and say congrats to everyone who's gotten in! Especially those who will be attending top 20 programs that are an amazing fit! Wish I could say I would be joining some of you in a PhD program, but fate had other plans it seems. 

Base on your signature, I'm assuming you can't apply to all the schools you want to because of financial reasons. I'm really sorry that it turned out that way. I hope everything is ok. And I wish you the best of luck on the schools that you are applying to. 

Edited by KimchiRamen

Hi! I was wondering if anyone is going to the recruitment events at UNC-Chapel Hill?

And they require each admit to submit a list of up to 6 profs (s)he would like to meet (in the order of preference).. any idea on how many would be an appropriate number? I'd love to meet a few, but don't want to be doing it too much..

Thanks in advance for your comments! I wish the best of luck for all of us waiting to hear from other schools here!!