Fall 2016 Acceptances, Interviews, and Rejections Thread

gingin6789

8 minutes ago, HopefulSocPhD said:

There's another Berkeley acceptance on the results boards. I guess today is the day for Berkeley! Congrats to whoever you are!

Could be more than one day though! They're still rolling out Davis acceptances, for example, when in years past, they've sent them out all at once. So even if Berkeley sent acceptances all at once last year, it might be different this year! Don't give up hope! :-) 

And yes, congratulations to the Berkeley admits so far! 

1 minute ago, gingin6789 said:

Could be more than one day though! They're still rolling out Davis acceptances, for example, when in years past, they've sent them out all at once. So even if Berkeley sent acceptances all at once last year, it might be different this year! Don't give up hope! :-) 

To be honest I've given up hope (99.99% of it anyway) for my apps and Berkeley was a fantasy reach anyway. I'm thinking positive thoughts for the rest of y'all though. :)

Just now, HopefulSocPhD said:

To be honest I've given up hope (99.99% of it anyway) for my apps and Berkeley was a fantasy reach anyway. I'm thinking positive thoughts for the rest of y'all though. :)

*hugs and offers you some tea or wine* I really hope you hear good news... I'm still rooting for you and thinking positive thoughts for you too! 

Hey now, don't lose hope so fast @HopefulSocPhD. Every school on your list is quite good and you have several to hear from still. This forum with news of acceptances can be disheartening at times, as much as one tries to be happy on behalf of others. Maybe take a break from it until mid March and distract yourself with other activities in the meantime? I know easier said than done.

@hopefulsocphd i know how it feels but hey, you dunno until the whole season is over,  which is at least till mid to late March.  And shd it comes to that, you can always reapply with a stronger record next year. Those schs are not going anywhere.

Any Duke applicants here? Wondering why we havent heard from Duke yet :/ also im unable to login to the system, apparently cos i used backspace to exit before. Anyone else experiencing the same problem? 

Expecting a rejection from duke,  cudnt even identify more than one POI in the SOP, but still, this week seems rather quiet and id rather sth goes on. 

58 minutes ago, HopefulSocPhD said:

I know it's hard to stay calm, but don't sweat it!!! Even if the worst happens, and you don't get into any of them, you might even think about the rejections as an opportunity—you get a whole year to narrow/strengthen your interests, and to improve your applications with all the knowledge you've gained from this cycle.

I was roundly rejected last year, and this year I'm getting into my dream schools. Just be patient and confident that this is what you want with your career, and I have no doubt that you'll make it happen :)

Thank you for the encouragement @gingin6789, @Shamon, @redhillgirl, and @lioneironaut. I'll try to stay optimistic and also figure out a plan to reapply next year. :) 

Also, seems like there wasn't much in the way of results activity today. I guess the "slow week" is panning out so far as predicted.

2 hours ago, redhillgirl said:

Any Duke applicants here? Wondering why we havent heard from Duke yet :/ also im unable to login to the system, apparently cos i used backspace to exit before. Anyone else experiencing the same problem? 

Expecting a rejection from duke,  cudnt even identify more than one POI in the SOP, but still, this week seems rather quiet and id rather sth goes on. 

Hi, I applied to Duke. I was expected news by now too...

I was able to login to the system, but no updates or notifications! 

We just have to wait! 

6 hours ago, spicytunaroll said:

i am claiming a berkeley spot here!

private message me if you are too, excited to see y'all at the campus tour in march! :)

Congrats! @spicytunaroll. Now it is the time to compete with California roll. I am claiming a Yale interview too. [Edit: thanks to @HopefulSocPhD, this should not be understood as interview. I was reached by my POI "discussing my research interests". I see this as a super positive sign, but no it is not a formal department interview.]

PhD application is really like mystery. At the beginning I was rejected by three schools in a row: UT Austin Wisc UNC (actually not rejected by UNC, I just received no info), I was devastated and thought "hell no, I will be roundly rejected". Now it comes to my six offers streak (and from even more competitive programs). Who knows what the heck happened.

Never lose hope, gals and guys.

Edited by goofylemon

13 hours ago, gingin6789 said:

be more than one day though! They're still rolling out Davis acceptances, for example, when in years past, they've sent them out all at once. So even if Berkeley sent acceptances all at once last year, it might be different this year! Don't give up hope! :-) 

Congratulations goofy and @spicytunaroll!!

@goofylemon It seems as if you're doing rather well so far! Although I didn't realize that Yale did interviews...

oops didn't mean to quote that...

Edited by HopefulSocPhD

4 minutes ago, HopefulSocPhD said:

Congratulations goofy and @spicytunaroll!!

@goofylemon It seems as if you're doing rather well so far! Although I didn't realize that Yale did interviews...

It is not called Interviews I should be clarified. I was reached by my POI "discussing my research interests". I see this as a super positive sign, but no it is not a formal department interview.

Edited by goofylemon

3 minutes ago, goofylemon said:

It is not called Interviews I should be clarified. I was reached by my POI "discussing my research interests". I see this as a super positive sign, but no it is not a formal department interview.

Congratulations! That is indeed an excellent sign! My heart did jump a bit when you posted about an interview (I wasn't at all prepared to worry about Yale interviews!), so this is reassuring to know it's a more informal thing. :) 

16 minutes ago, Port Lake said:

Congratulations! That is indeed an excellent sign! My heart did jump a bit when you posted about an interview (I wasn't at all prepared to worry about Yale interviews!), so this is reassuring to know it's a more informal thing. :) 

omg kill me now if yale are doing interviews and i didn't get one.

26 minutes ago, goofylemon said:

A huge congrats! 
I wonder, would you be willing and able to share who your POI is? Or would that be too personal? 

Omg i hope yale isnt doing interviews...it's one of my top choices.  Congrats to @goofylemon tho! Definitely a super positive sign. 

Also i regret not applying to berkeley....congrats to all admits tho!  It's a fabulous program! 

Edited by redhillgirl

Congrats @goofylemon ! That is definitely a great sign. I too am waiting to hear from Yale. I was wait listed last year, but to be honest that means nothing. It is a long shot, but I am hopeful!

Anyone apply to their a combined PhD at Yale? I applied to the combined African-American Studies & Sociology, PhD.