Fall 2016 Acceptances, Interviews, and Rejections Thread

gingin6789

17 hours ago, pingaling said:

Hi All,

For those who are interested --- I emailed University of Pennsylvania Demography and Princeton sociology about notifications.

Penn: by end of February

Princeton around February 15

thank u @pingaling for making a solid contribution to this thread <3

38 minutes ago, ConsciousKid said:

Am I going crazy or wasn't there more than 3 Brown admits posted on the results page? Thought there were 4 yesterday no looks like only 3.

Since BC is already wait-listing, I'm assuming they've already made their offers of admission....My app doesn't actually show what my status is. Just lists the completed app requirements. 

9 hours ago, KimchiRamen said:

All my fellow Harvard applicants, I think the chance of us getting into Harvard has gone from slim to almost non-existent. To save myself the anxiety, I am already counting Harvard, along with Indiana, as rejections. Good luck to us all on the remainder of our schools!

Base on your signature, I'm assuming you can't apply to all the schools you want to because of financial reasons. I'm really sorry that it turned out that way. I hope everything is ok. And I wish you the best of luck on the schools that you are applying to. 

What is with the "Harvard is done" idea? It seems very possible those 3 Harvard admits were the same person accidentally entering in multiple times. Even if not, that's just 3 spots.

I think writing off Harvard this early is a bit much. Wait until you see another acceptance somewhere I think.

9 hours ago, KimchiRamen said:

Base on your signature, I'm assuming you can't apply to all the schools you want to because of financial reasons. I'm really sorry that it turned out that way. I hope everything is ok. And I wish you the best of luck on the schools that you are applying to. 

Well, I was planning on applying to some PhD programs like UCF, CU-Boulder, UCSB, and a few other programs, but all the programs I can afford to apply to now are MA and MS programs. Set aside $1000 last semester for PhD app fees and the GRE and then had to spend $933 of it fixing my car and computer, so I just took my GRE last week. Luckily I feel like I'm a really good fit at some programs like Auburn and Wyo, so it's not all bad I think. And thank you so much! 

11 minutes ago, nowayjose said:

What is with the "Harvard is done" idea? It seems very possible those 3 Harvard admits were the same person accidentally entering in multiple times. Even if not, that's just 3 spots.

I think writing off Harvard this early is a bit much. Wait until you see another acceptance somewhere I think.

I agree that it seems very possible that the 3 Harvard admits were the same person.

But if it wasn't, then no, it actually is pretty safe to say that "Harvard is done." Since they only accept like 8-12 students a year, and since most people don't report their acceptances/rejections, 3 out of a possible 8 is a pretty safe bet to say that admissions are over.

3 minutes ago, ThePastelCalico said:

Well, I was planning on applying to some PhD programs like UCF, CU-Boulder, UCSB, and a few other programs, but all the programs I can afford to apply to now are MA and MS programs. Set aside $1000 last semester for PhD app fees and the GRE and then had to spend $933 of it fixing my car and computer, so I just took my GRE last week. Luckily I feel like I'm a really good fit at some programs like Auburn and Wyo, so it's not all bad I think. And thank you so much! 

Some schools will waive the app fee if you have a high GPA, are an Americorps/Peacecorps alumn, or can demonstrate a financial need. Vanderbilt's sociology app is free to all, but because of my GPA and Americorps experience, Northeastern and Brown both waived my app fees. I've heard that Brandeis and U of Minnesota are also both very accommodating with fee waivers.

3 minutes ago, Shay825 said:

Some schools will waive the app fee if you have a high GPA, are an Americorps/Peacecorps alumn, or can demonstrate a financial need. Vanderbilt's sociology app is free to all, but because of my GPA and Americorps experience, Northeastern and Brown both waived my app fees. I've heard that Brandeis and U of Minnesota are also both very accommodating with fee waivers.

Yes, I was surprised how easy it was to get a fee waiver from Northeastern and Brandeis.  They offer it to former AmeriCorps/PeaceCorps volunteers and lots of other situations.  With BC they offer the waiver for current volunteers with those programs but also have a financial hardship waiver, too.  It's worth looking into. 

6 minutes ago, gingin6789 said:

Another Harvard acceptance on the board. Said they got notified yesterday via phone call from chair. 

Just emailed to ask if all Harvard offers have been made. Will post an update if/when I receive a reply.

Wishing you and the other Harvard applicants the best of luck, @Shay825and @nowayjose<3 

*makes everyone some cookies and delicious coffee and tea*

You guys here in the sociology forum are all great applicants who really have put their all into this process. Proud to have you all as my friends. :-)

(sorry, that was so cheesy) 

Just now, gingin6789 said:

Wishing you and the other Harvard applicants the best of luck, @Shay825and @nowayjose<3 

*makes everyone some cookies and delicious coffee and tea*

You guys here in the sociology forum are all great applicants who really have put their all into this process. Proud to have you all as my friends. :-)

(sorry, that was so cheesy) 

Thank you, and I didn't think that was too cheesy. Its nice to see so many people celebrating one another, even when we may be competing for spots at the same schools. 

4 minutes ago, nowayjose said:

Does Harvard have a history of calling everyone on the same day or something?

Usually all acceptances are over 1-2 days...at least, that's been the trend the past few years

Sorry @mm3733. This is not responding to you, nor critiquing your contribution. I just want to say that again, to all of folks looking *too closely* to the rankings, don't trap yourself with TopXX, especially like 10 or 20. It really depends on your specialization.There are a fair number of schools under 20 that are so good, and even more competitive to get into than many of the top 20s, such as UCSB, Brown (sorry if I am too defensive to my decision) ,Yale (last year it was #21 this year it is 20), and maybe more. I want to point out especially with the three schools I mentioned, they have very good TT placement records (better than 50%+ of the top 20 as I know) and for Yale and Brown, stellar funding package (yeah because it's Ivy League). 

With that being said, ranking can serve as a rough guidance. For example, Princeton (#1) might be almost roundly stronger than any of the (#40-ish) program. (Even thought you could be surprised some specialty of those programs, too). However, don't stick with ranking.

16 hours ago, mm3733 said:

I think it depends on your career goals. If you want to become a TT professor at an R1, you want to go for the highest ranked program that you get into - for the most part. Placements are much, much higher at top 10 (some will extend this to 25, and some will bicker over rankings forever) programs.

(That said, I didn't apply for any top 10 schools, and I'd like to teach/do research at an R1, so don't mind me.)

Edited by goofylemon

4 minutes ago, macadamia tea said:

Elatedly claiming one Michigan acceptance here. I don't think I've ever had such an abrupt change of mood in my life. :)

Same!! I was feeling grumpy about imminent Harvard rejection, then, woaah, Michigan acceptance! 

Congrats to other Michigan admits too!