Social Work MSW/PhD, PhD Applicants!

wisdomspeaks

@MCinephile So happy for you !!! That is amazing !!!! 

@MAnthroAA I can confirm tgat I have also heard nothing. But I am sure soon.

I think I will add to the good news, maybe collective good news will help everybody get in to a school they end up really enjoying. Yesterday I received my acceptance letter from Wayne State University!!! Funding will be unclear for a week or two, they have to apply for their students to receive funding after acceptance.  I think they will push hard since they are a newer program and so far have onky admitted 1-3 per year. So very excited! Stress has all but gone.

Sincerest good luck to all of you!! You are all amazing!

@JointPhD-Social Work Guy I was hopeful that was your post on the results page!!!!! See, you didn't have to go with your worst case scenario after all. This is awesome and I bet you can rest easy now that you know you're headed somewhere great :) 

@MrsKozee I haven't gotten anything from them and I applied there. I am happy you got in. The human rights focus shines through everything about their program. Unfortunately, for me, my application there was a bit of an afterthought and I'm not too hopeful I'll get accepted. I don't think enough faculty focus on my specific interests. There are overlaps but it's not the best fit and I would choose UB (where I have already received an acceptance and full funding--I got the fellowship I was nominated for btw, everyone... But I've been too focused on all the recent rejections) over UCLA. It's a great program though and I'm glad the acceptances are going to people who deserve it :) It's a shame I don't think it'd be the best fit for me because I do love their program overall!

Hey everyone! So I saw some rejections and waitlists went out today for U-M social work/sociology. I'm wondering who these were for. I didn't get anything yet... But I'm not getting my hopes up that that's good news! I am hoping I hear back tomorrow. Anyone else hear back yet this week? My only update is a rejection (last week) for University of Chicago.

@MCinephile  I have joined your team as of today!

@thegibson There is still hope left for you, at least lol

Still. I am seriously happy that I have one acceptance, even though it's a meager 1/5... A second ago I was like, "3 more rejections to go!" and my girlfriend was like, "could ya rephrase that or something? Damn."

@MCinephile and @wisdomspeaks I too have joined that party! Actually I was quite relieved not to have to make a decision between heart and money. Good luck you lot! I know yo will all make this planet we live on a better place, one way or another ?

On 2/18/2016 at 8:23 PM, wisdomspeaks said:

@MCinephile  I have joined your team as of today!

@thegibson There is still hope left for you, at least lol

Still. I am seriously happy that I have one acceptance, even though it's a meager 1/5... A second ago I was like, "3 more rejections to go!" and my girlfriend was like, "could ya rephrase that or something? Damn."

Sorry to hear about the rejection from UM. It seems like a pretty tough place to find a way into. For what it's worth, my (uninformed / conjectural) sense is that probably few people if any make it off the waitlist. 

Congrats to those of you with plans for the fall--it's quite exciting! I take it that no one has heard anything from UW-Madison this week? Its radio silence from them, which is quite agonizing. 

Hey @thegibson

I think what you are sensing is pretty accurate. A lot of people want that joint doctoral program! As pretentious and annoying as U-M is, I'm wondering if I would have turned down the chance to earn soc/social work doctoral degrees simultaneously. Probably not.

not sure if you've been around the other thread, but I did get a rejection from UW-Madison's MSW/PhD program in late January. If you're still in the game at this point, it's probably a good sign.