Social Work MSW/PhD, PhD Applicants!

wisdomspeaks

@AMStudent I don't think they would stagger invitations. I have a pretty good idea of how their process works because I have spoken to a lot of people there and it seems unlikely I'd receive my invitation on a different day, based on how they've done stuff in the past :( 

that's really exciting for you, though, especially since it's your first choice! You need to connect with someone else around these forums before you head out there. And of course, let us know how the visit goes when you return :) 

On 1/29/2016 at 2:40 AM, JointPhD-Social Work Guy said:

@Kiren I received an email asking me what dates and times were good for me. I applied for the Anthro-SW track, I don't know if they have been emailing everyone or not. Not sure if @wisdomspeaks has more info. Thought I would weigh in, though. Good Luck!!

@JointPhD-Social Work Guy congrats on getting in! Looks like they made a speedy decision. I'm still waiting to hear back. I think you posted your acceptance the day before my interview. So I'm hoping there's still hope. Maybe we'll meet. If you do decide to come to Detroit and need someone to show you around feel free to get in touch. :)

@Kiren Thanks, I will be going to Wayne. Hopefully they get back with you soon, and yes they were speedy. I'm not sure what my plans are, currently it is only a half hour drive for me so I may stay in Ypsilanti for a while. However I will be needing to make friends and all that noise , so I am down to hang out in the D. As one of my advisors said, fingers and toes crossed. Also I am sure there is hope, they took 2 weeks and I also believe the SWAN program had fewer applicants than straight up SW.

Hey all!

I am glad that almost everyone got what they wanted out of this whole thing and am proud of all of you for your hard work :) 

I visited UB this weekend (and am actually still in Buffalo right now) and was extremely happy with the program here. They really encourage students to conduct their own research throughout the program and provide a lot of funding for that, so everyone was completely down with my desire to go abroad for my advanced year field placement to do a study on international adoption policy. I am excited for that!

Anyway, good luck to everyone and I hope to continue hearing from ya'll on these forums!

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone on this forum apply to Rutgers dual program? If so, have you heard back from their PhD school? I've heard back from the MSW, but not from PhD...This late in the game you assume the worst, but figured I'd ask. 

• 9 months later...

I hope this isn't too off topic (but this discussion seems the most *recent.) I have my MSW and plan on applying for my PhD in 2 years. While vacationing in a city with a school I'm interesting in attending, I am trying to kill two birds with one stone. I'd like to meet with this school and see if it'd be a good fit. What's the protocol for this? Is it best to reach out to the specific faculty member I'd like to have as an advisor? Do I approach it more like they're interviewing me, or more informal? I'm trying to determine how prepared I should be vs. how much honesty I can have in displaying my insecurities. Thanks for the guidance! 

Hey guys I applied to University of North Carolina chapel-hill ( my top dream school). North Carolina State University ( my match school I'm pretty sure I'm good at getting into) and East Carolina University ( my safe school, I love that school though). I have a 3.7 overall Gpa , 4.0 SW GPA been on the deans list consistently for 4 years was on chancellors list. I'm so nervous I just need 1 acceptance please lol. I'm going for child welfare. 

Edited by Ms.SocialWorker

On 1/10/2017 at 0:23 AM, Ms.SocialWorker said:

Hey guys I applied to University of North Carolina chapel-hill ( my top dream school). North Carolina State University ( my match school I'm pretty sure I'm good at getting into) and East Carolina University ( my safe school, I love that school though). I have a 3.7 overall Gpa , 4.0 SW GPA been on the deans list consistently for 4 years was on chancellors list. I'm so nervous I just need 1 acceptance please lol. I'm going for child welfare. 

I don't think you have much to worry about!  Your stats sound good and I'm sure you'll get into at least one of those programs!  I live in Pittsburgh and don't want to move so I applied to UPitt.  I'm thinking about applying to a couple of counseling programs in the area as a backup because I'm not moving.  

On 1/10/2017 at 1:23 PM, Ms.SocialWorker said:

Hi @Ms.SocialWorker we have a 2017 thread for Phd applicants. Why dont you take your conversation there? Assuming you are applying for Phd too. 

• 1 year later...

I haven't applied to traditional SW programs yet I applied to more social research oriented programs of Vanderbilt (CRA) and UW-Madison (Human ecology). Anyone heard back from either of programs? I am just nervous about the decisions being an International applicant. Avg GRE Q161 V157, 6 years grassroot development experience, some grant writing and research experience.

Edited by vaibhavpandey
detailing