Columbia - Fall 2016

Opt4theBest

I had my interview on Jan 8th and the interviewer said that she will let me know the application result in one month. I am wondering whether your interviewer told you guys when the result will come out. :)

13 hours ago, MSW_1 said:

I had my interview on Jan 8th and the interviewer said that she will let me know the application result in one month. I am wondering whether your interviewer told you guys when the result will come out. :)

Hi there! I'm applying for the standard 2yr program. I don't think we are required to attend an interview with the Admissions Committee. Which track are you applying for?

I don't think we need an interview for the standard 2-year unless we're international students. I'm not sure about other programs. I did just email Columbia today and they said they're aiming to send out some acceptances around mid-February!

Hey all!!!... Ive applied to PhD UPenn, PhD Berkeley and PhD CSSW (Columbia)..and other schools for different programs.. good luck to everyone... Anyone else apply to CSSW.... Ive spoken with the doctoral office and they have told me they are meeting to make decisions on Feb 1st and then again Feb 22/26... So just an FYI.

On 1/27/2016 at 3:59 PM, CrimsonEyes said:

Hey all!!!... Ive applied to PhD UPenn, PhD Berkeley and PhD CSSW (Columbia)..and other schools for different programs.. good luck to everyone... Anyone else apply to CSSW.... Ive spoken with the doctoral office and they have told me they are meeting to make decisions on Feb 1st and then again Feb 22/26... So just an FYI.

Thanks for sharing. I only hope the PhD and Masters have the same decision-making period. Waiting to hear from them is killing me. One more month to go, I guess.

@Opt4theBest  I understand the frustration... I got my MSW from CSSW. and I remember I got my admitted decision Feb 28 2013... however I that people for my cohort heard back of admittance the week prior to mine. So hopefully that may help in terms of decisions for the MSW program for this year. 

1 minute ago, CrimsonEyes said:

@Opt4theBest  I understand the frustration... I got my MSW from CSSW. and I remember I got my admitted decision Feb 28 2013... however I that people for my cohort heard back of admittance the week prior to mine. So hopefully that may help in terms of decisions for the MSW program for this year. 

This really helps CrimsonEyes. I am trying to tell myself not to be frustrated and not to go crazy checking emails every five minutes from 8am to 5pm (during the office hours), but I can't. Sometimes I used to wake up in the middle of the night and check my inbox and the GradCafe to see if anyone posts any updates. My husband thinks I'm not well. HAHA

On January 24, 2016 at 10:37 AM, Opt4theBest said:

Hi there! I'm applying for the standard 2yr program. I don't think we are required to attend an interview with the Admissions Committee. Which track are you applying for?

Hi there. It is because I am an international student and I am required to have an interview for the standard 2yr program...Do you know when our result is gonna come out? Thanks!

8 hours ago, MSW_1 said:

Hi there. It is because I am an international student and I am required to have an interview for the standard 2yr program...Do you know when our result is gonna come out? Thanks!

It depends on when you submit your application and when it is complete. From the email CSSW sent to me on Jan. 6th, this is what it looks like:

"Hello XXX,

The Office of Admissions has received all required materials for your application for Fall 2016 admission to our Two-Year International Program program. Your application is now complete and will enter the admission review process.  Spring decisions are typically issued in mid November and rolling thereafter. Fall decisions are typically issued in March and rolling thereafter. "

The regular deadline for Fall 2016 was originally January 4th, but now it has been extended and CSSW are still accepting more applications on a space availability basis. Yet, this should not affect those who submitted their application before or on Jan. 4th. I also found from someone in Social Work forum that international applicants tend to be notified of the School's decision before the locals as international students need time to process their visas. 

I believe we can aim for last week of February or March 1st to check back and see if the decision is made.

I hope this helps B)

Edited by Opt4theBest

23 hours ago, Opt4theBest said:

It depends on when you submit your application and when it is complete. From the email CSSW sent to me on Jan. 6th, this is what it looks like:

"Hello XXX,

The Office of Admissions has received all required materials for your application for Fall 2016 admission to our Two-Year International Program program. Your application is now complete and will enter the admission review process.  Spring decisions are typically issued in mid November and rolling thereafter. Fall decisions are typically issued in March and rolling thereafter. "

The regular deadline for Fall 2016 was originally January 4th, but now it has been extended and CSSW are still accepting more applications on a space availability basis. Yet, this should not affect those who submitted their application before or on Jan. 4th. I also found from someone in Social Work forum that international applicants tend to be notified of the School's decision before the locals as international students need time to process their visas. 

I believe we can aim for last week of February or March 1st to check back and see if the decision is made.

I hope this helps B)

That's so helpful Opt! Thank you!

Does anyone know why the deadline was extended? I'm happy it did for those who couldn't submit applications by the deadline (it's so early), but when I went to the info session, they did put in emphasis on the priority deadline (December 1) and then the regular deadline (January 4). Perhaps they wanted to give more people opportunities to apply?

They almost always extend the admission deadline, probably also to give themselves more time. But I believe they review everyone from the original pool of applicants and then start admitting from later applicants. I believe I found out my acceptance to CSSW late-February and I was the second round of admissions. They continued to admit people until March, but I think the first group of people heard February 15th. 

I'm graduating from the program in May, if you have any questions about the program or why I decided to ultimately chose it feel free to ask! Best of luck all! 

On 2/1/2016 at 9:17 AM, tudor3x8 said:
5 minutes ago, jillchristine said:

They almost always extend the admission deadline, probably also to give themselves more time. But I believe they review everyone from the original pool of applicants and then start admitting from later applicants. I believe I found out my acceptance to CSSW late-February and I was the second round of admissions. They continued to admit people until March, but I think the first group of people heard February 15th. 

I'm graduating from the program in May, if you have any questions about the program or why I decided to ultimately chose it feel free to ask! Best of luck all! 

When you said "the second round of admissions", did you mean those apply after the priority deadline but within the regular deadline in January? X

10 hours ago, jillchristine said:

This is super helpful. Thank you! They told me I should hear back in February, and I didn't apply until after the priority deadline, so I'll probably hear around the same time.

I just wanted to pop in and say good luck to everyone!!  I just finished my last application, and I feel such a weight lifted off my chest!  Some people hate the waiting part, but I feel so much better that it's done and now it's outta my hands.

I applied to Columbia for the 2-yr program.  I'm very excited about Columbia's program, but not sure I'd go there even if I get in, because of the cost.  I also applied for a fellowship, though, so we'll see what happens! :)

On 2/1/2016 at 9:17 AM, tudor3x8 said:

Does anyone know why the deadline was extended? I'm happy it did for those who couldn't submit applications by the deadline (it's so early), but when I went to the info session, they did put in emphasis on the priority deadline (December 1) and then the regular deadline (January 4). Perhaps they wanted to give more people opportunities to apply?

I had started an application in February of last year, but decided to wait one more year before applying.  I received emails all the way until the end of April saying there was still time to apply for Fall '15.  Last year they extended it until May 1st.  Like someone else mentioned, I think that they look at the applications submitted before the January 4th deadline first and then evaluate apps on a rolling basis there after.  Plus, I've read that Columbia has a pretty low yield, so they probably have to keep recruiting in order to reach their enrollment goals.

I emailed admissions at Columbia and they stated they are aiming to get decisions out this month with the first being delivered by Feb. 15th! I am hoping this is true because I do not want to wait until March. Good Luck everyone :-)