Columbia - Fall 2016

Opt4theBest

16 hours ago, jillchristine said:

I've lived in apartment housing for 2 years, actually my apartment will have two open spots in it next semester :( It's been a wonderful place to live and much cheaper than typical apartments in the area, landlord is wonderful, and I'm literally a 4 minute walk to school. 

Thank you for this information, I was wondering if I could email you? 

@jillchristine thanks for the response! That's not bad considering how close you are to campus. 

Is anyone else scared about the loans/cost of tuition? Columbia is one of my top schools but I'm wondering if I would actually attend due to the cost. I'm also wondering if people care about the ivy league name at a grad level? It seems like a lot of people are suggesting a CUNY school over Columbia due to the affordability...

On 2/28/2016 at 9:33 AM, jillchristine said:

My rent is 1k a month for a huge apartment (living room, dining room, study) with two roommates, rent is with everything included also. It's about a five minute walk to class. I know some people who pay less and others that pay more in CU housing, I think it's specific to what you request in your app. 

That's better than I thought!

I checked my application and had the "update status"  link that took me to my acceptance letter.  I have not received an email but probably will shortly. 

I applied to Columbia's online,  2-year program in November. Hope you all hear soon!   

On February 27, 2016 at 7:40 AM, jillchristine said:

I've lived in apartment housing for 2 years, actually my apartment will have two open spots in it next semester :( It's been a wonderful place to live and much cheaper than typical apartments in the area, landlord is wonderful, and I'm literally a 4 minute walk to school. 

Thank you for this information, I was wondering if I could email you? 

21 hours ago, jillchristine said:

Absolutely, I'm happy to answer any questions! My email is jcd2196@columbia.edu

Thank you Jill. I have emailed you :)

On February 28, 2016 at 6:49 AM, MSW88 said:

@jillchristine thanks for the response! That's not bad considering how close you are to campus. 

Is anyone else scared about the loans/cost of tuition? Columbia is one of my top schools but I'm wondering if I would actually attend due to the cost. I'm also wondering if people care about the ivy league name at a grad level? It seems like a lot of people are suggesting a CUNY school over Columbia due to the affordability...

I am very hesitant about the cost of attending.  I haven't received my admission decision yet, but will likely attend another school that is much more affordable.  I am curious to see what the financial aid packages are like, but I think I've read on here that they don't offer any more than $20,000/year, which makes it still too much for what I'm comfortable with.  I don't plan on working for a company that will pay a lot, so ...

40 minutes ago, KmmAlaska said:

I am very hesitant about the cost of attending.  I haven't received my admission decision yet, but will likely attend another school that is much more affordable.  I am curious to see what the financial aid packages are like, but I think I've read on here that they don't offer any more than $20,000/year, which makes it still too much for what I'm comfortable with.  I don't plan on working for a company that will pay a lot, so ...

Do you know what type of company you plan on working for? 

1 hour ago, MSW88 said:

Do you know what type of company you plan on working for? 

Hi, I plan to work in prevention, which a lot of the time involves grant money to fund the workers and the work.  Alaska has the highest rate of suicide in the country and I am very passionate about the work.  We will see where it leads, but I doubt it will lead to Columbia without a generous aid package.  I've already been accepted to a grad school that emphasizes Alaska Native values.

18 hours ago, SW said:

I checked my application and had the "update status"  link that took me to my acceptance letter.  I have not received an email but probably will shortly. 

I applied to Columbia's online,  2-year program in November. Hope you all hear soon!   

Ohhh you got me so excited! I checked my app, and I do not have an updated status link yet. I applied for Advanced Standing, and it looks like folks still haven't heard back yet though. :(

8 minutes ago, SWLindsey said:

Ohhh you got me so excited! I checked my app, and I do not have an updated status link yet. I applied for Advanced Standing, and it looks like folks still haven't heard back yet though. :(

Yes, it looks like all of the advanced standing students are still waiting ... but admissions told me this week we will hear, I was hoping for early on!

On February 25, 2016 at 11:24 PM, van2312 said:

Hello everyone. I received my acceptance letter on Monday and I am trying to prepare as much as possible in case I do decide to attend Columbia. I live in Los Angeles, and never have been on a plane. I am kind of nervous.

For those who have been admitted has anyone started to fill out the Housing Application Form? Or for anyone who did attend or is attending  Columbia, what do you recommend in terms of housing. Thank You!

I'm a current msw '17 student at Columbia. There's a lot of options, and I deliberated for a while....but I ended up checking the box on the app that said "do you want to be considered for the arbor" and I said yes.

Well I got placed in a two bedroom at the arbor and I LOVE living here. It's gorgeous, my roommate and I have a huge apt and the building/apts have a lot of amenities and the building is located in a quiet area. Some people don't like the distance it is from school and they skip applying for the arbor, but I've had zero problems with it. There's a subway stop close enough and a free arbor shuttle runs residents to campus and back on a regular schedule. It's one of the more expensive UAH options but I think it's been worth it - I'll be renewing my lease!

Whew!  Received a notification at 5:30 pm yesterday that I was accepted into the Online 2-year program.  (Email notice letting me know that there was an update to my application status.)  I'm in CT, but looking forward to meeting those of you who decide to attend at Orientation!  I am still waiting to hear from Fordham, but I've decided on Columbia unless Fordham happens to offer me $$, not likely!

I received a phone call today from one of the faculty members asking me if I had any questions he could answer about the curriculum, to help me make my decision.  Did anyone else receive a call like that?  I was a little surprised and caught off guard... curious if this happened to anyone else.

36 minutes ago, Jewelz423 said:

I received a phone call today from one of the faculty members asking me if I had any questions he could answer about the curriculum, to help me make my decision.  Did anyone else receive a call like that?  I was a little surprised and caught off guard... curious if this happened to anyone else.

Hi Jewelz423! What program are you considering? Two year, advanced standing? :)

Just received my financial aid package via email. Offered 14K annually in scholarship with the rest in loans (60K). So that's still about 32K remaining in tuition. Going into 120K in debt for a two-year terminal degree isn't worth it for me. It's crazy how Columbia's endowment is so large, but they offer such paltry scholarship funds. I applied years ago for another Master's program and they only offered me $8K in scholarship. Oh, well.

Best of luck to everyone not only in the admissions process, but funding process as well!

I just received my financial aid package via email (I was accepted last week to the regular 2-year program). It was much better than I was expecting but I am still hesitant about the cost of attendance even after the scholarship...I will definitely be appealing for more. Fingers crossed it works!  Congrats to everyone who was accepted today!