Columbia - Fall 2016

Opt4theBest

1 hour ago, Victoria Lee said:

Just got my acceptance to the advanced standing program too guys! Congrats to everyone who got accepted. I was wondering if anyone knows if Columbia does classes on Saturday like NYU (and a lot of other programs). Or how the classes work, if it's every day, twice a week, whatever! I'm from CT and would be commuting

I am also from CT and wondering the same thing. 

Also, just received my acceptance into the Advanced Standing program around 6pm today! Anyone from CT feel free to message me on here to connect on facebook, etc.! Congrats everyone! Only other school I'm considering/waiting on is University of Michigan...any other UM applicants trying to decide between the two? 

I just received my financial aid letter as well and was very pleasantly surprised! They gave me a generous scholarship as well work study so that was a positive :) 

@Victoria Lee I was at an info session today and classes are M-F with class 2 days a week and field placement 3 days a week. That being said, you can take some classes online if you would like and there are placements available in CT you can request. 

@Victoria Lee @Michael St I am from CT as well. I went to Columbia's info. session and classes are two days a week (I believe Tuesday and Wednesdays) and then your internship will be three days a week. The advanced standing program also has a four week 5 days a week summer session beginning August 1st. I think weekend and night classes are only for two year or part time students. There is also the option of taking all your classes online. I am going to be moving to really get the NYC social work experience. Congrats to everyone, I am so glad we finally heard. What a great feeling. 

Received my financial aid info... unfortunately isn't nearly enough to make me consider attending. :( I received a "general" scholarship, but no work-study. I've submitted my FAFSA, so I'm not sure if that is what affects the amount I would receive for work-study?

I just received my financial aid package. I got 14k a year in scholarship plus an extra 4k for work-study. That leaves me at least 80k in debt when everything is said and done. What does everyone think, is that debt worth it? I got offered a job in administration and policy for 40k after receiving my Bachelors in Social Work and Non-Profit Administration, but I don't know how much the salary for a similar position will increase after my MSW. To be fair I have no interest in clinical work and most of my experience is in supervising, policy, administration, resource management etc. 

Do you folks think that this kind of debt is manageable, especially with the cost of living in NY? I would have to get a job making at least 60k right out of grad school, or even more if I stay in NY after graduation. Which is possible, but difficult even in the field of macro social work.

I would love to hear how other people are approaching this issue!

7 hours ago, KmmAlaska said:

I hope we can all share this discussion about financial aid, it is the only thing holding me back.  I will post when I receive the info from the school

Thanks! Hopefully you'll get some good news. I'm going to try and contact the financial aid for more funding, so I'll keep everyone informed on how it goes.

9 hours ago, KatFreeLee said:

I just received my financial aid package. I got 14k a year in scholarship plus an extra 4k for work-study. That leaves me at least 80k in debt when everything is said and done. What does everyone think, is that debt worth it? I got offered a job in administration and policy for 40k after receiving my Bachelors in Social Work and Non-Profit Administration, but I don't know how much the salary for a similar position will increase after my MSW. To be fair I have no interest in clinical work and most of my experience is in supervising, policy, administration, resource management etc. 

Do you folks think that this kind of debt is manageable, especially with the cost of living in NY? I would have to get a job making at least 60k right out of grad school, or even more if I stay in NY after graduation. Which is possible, but difficult even in the field of macro social work.

I would love to hear how other people are approaching this issue!

This is the package I received as well. I reached out to the school to see if they could offer me any more so I am waiting on that. I was lucky enough to come out of undergrad without any debt, so I am considering taking out the loans to afford Columbia, though it is very daunting. I'll wait until I hear back about my appeal to make my decision. 

Congrats on all of your acceptances!! Always advocate for more funding, they're very likely to give it to you if you ask (it may not be much but still). Also if you received a better financial package from another school tell Columbia about it and ask if they'd be willing to match it. 

There aren't any Saturday classes (other than stats), but there are online and 6-8pm classes. Also I know plenty of people that got jobs in the 55-75k range after their MSW, so please don't assume you'll make less. We all do such amazing work and we deserve to make a good living, you have to advocate for yourself to make what you deserve. 

I am coming out of my undergrad with over $26k in student loan debt, so taking additional loans is quite a stressful idea but I am waiting to see what they offer.  Yes, please keep us updated about your appeals for more funding.  Thanks!

Well, looks like they released the financial packages for the advanced standing folks. I got $14,000/yr, but didn't qualify for any work study for some reason! I'm going to appeal to see if they'll match what I was offered from Chicago.

1 hour ago, SWLindsey said:

Well, looks like they released the financial packages for the advanced standing folks. I got $14,000/yr, but didn't qualify for any work study for some reason! I'm going to appeal to see if they'll match what I was offered from Chicago.

Where did you receive your package?  

38 minutes ago, KmmAlaska said:

Okay, mine must still be in process.  Thanks.

Check your junk mail if you haven't, my financial package ended up in my college email's junk mail folder, almost didn't see it. 

Also, I received 14k like others did (advanced standing). I plan to ask for more funding. 

Edited by Michael St

I sent an email to swfinaid@columbia.edu inquiring about the appeal process. I was instructed to email Debbie Lesperance at dl635@columbia.edu and submit my appeal, including any offers from other schools. I did that this afternoon, so I will let everyone know if it works. Even a little extra aid would make me more willing to attend. Fingers crossed!

I found mine in junk mail as well. I too received 14,000 with no work study. it looks like Columbia increased their tuition significantly from the rate last year that is listed on their website. This is really disappointing.  

1 hour ago, AMcCoy said:

I found mine in junk mail as well. I too received 14,000 with no work study. it looks like Columbia increased their tuition significantly from the rate last year that is listed on their website. This is really disappointing.  

Hmm, that's not good to hear.  I haven't received my package yet.  I'm wondering if any of the admits who appealed their package have heard back yet.

On 3/2/2016 at 4:45 PM, Mrsdeborahg said:

Hi Jewelz423! What program are you considering? Two year, advanced standing? :)

Hi!!  I applied and was accepted to the 2-year program.  

I got my financial aid letter yesterday, and I got pretty much the same package as everyone else.  I really like Columbia's program and that they have faculty involved in criminal justice social work, but the amount I would have to take out in loans makes me very anxious!  I also applied for this fellowship, but I have no idea when I will hear back about that or how competitive it is.  I hate how up in the air everything is, but I just have to wait it out a bit longer before I can make any final decisions.:unsure:

9 minutes ago, KmmAlaska said:

Has anyone heard from financial aid today? I have yet to receive my package, which is delaying my ability to make a final decision. 

I haven't, but I barely submitted my fafsa last week. I was told by financial aid I should hear back by Thursday. 

I petitioned for more funding (was given $14K initially) and was given $20K. I informed them I was accepted to several other schools with higher funding packages ranging from $8K-$28K), but that Columbia remained my top choice due its policy/macro focus and how great of a fit it is for me. They mentioned second year students are eligible to apply for various internal funding/scholarships (so my second year scholarship package might possibly exceed $20K) and work-study funds ($4K/annually) may become available throughout the academic year, which could potentially increase my package to $24K. External funding options were also referred to me. 

While a $20K scholarship package seems to be a high number for Columbia, I will be declining it and notified them of my decision to not attend for fall as I would still be well over $95K in debt. Good luck to all!

Glad to hear they responded with a higher number.  Can anyone tell me what the tuition is for the 2016-17 advanced standing program?  I'm seeing that last years was $56,265.  Still waiting for my package ... Thanks.