Columbia - Fall 2016

Opt4theBest

1 hour ago, morningjunky said:

I petitioned for more funding (was given $14K initially) and was given $20K. I informed them I was accepted to several other schools with higher funding packages ranging from $8K-$28K), but that Columbia remained my top choice due its policy/macro focus and how great of a fit it is for me. They mentioned second year students are eligible to apply for various internal funding/scholarships (so my second year scholarship package might possibly exceed $20K) and work-study funds ($4K/annually) may become available throughout the academic year, which could potentially increase my package to $24K. External funding options were also referred to me. 

While a $20K scholarship package seems to be a high number for Columbia, I will be declining it and notified them of my decision to not attend for fall as I would still be well over $95K in debt. Good luck to all!

How long did it take to hear back from them about your appeal? I appealed and the last thing I heard from them was that it was under review last Thursday. Not sure if it's good or bad that I haven't heard anything :/ 

sorry you won't be attending Columbia but good luck to you! 

5 hours ago, KmmAlaska said:

Glad to hear they responded with a higher number.  Can anyone tell me what the tuition is for the 2016-17 advanced standing program?  I'm seeing that last years was $56,265.  Still waiting for my package ... Thanks.

My financial aid letter put the total for advanced standing at $58,359....yikes :(

I initially received 14k in scholarship and 4k in work study for the Advanced Standing program. I appealed for more and they gave me 2k more in scholarship. It's still a lot of money but for one year and a Columbia degree, I think it's worth it. I wasn't even expecting to get that much assistance so I was pleasantly surprised. 

On March 8, 2016 at 1:05 PM, morningjunky said:

I petitioned for more funding (was given $14K initially) and was given $20K. I informed them I was accepted to several other schools with higher funding packages ranging from $8K-$28K), but that Columbia remained my top choice due its policy/macro focus and how great of a fit it is for me. They mentioned second year students are eligible to apply for various internal funding/scholarships (so my second year scholarship package might possibly exceed $20K) and work-study funds ($4K/annually) may become available throughout the academic year, which could potentially increase my package to $24K. External funding options were also referred to me. 

While a $20K scholarship package seems to be a high number for Columbia, I will be declining it and notified them of my decision to not attend for fall as I would still be well over $95K in debt. Good luck to all!

Would you mind sharing some of the external funding options? 

Are there any other Advanced Standing students still waiting for their financial aid package?  I'm wondering why it's taking so long, as I submitted my FAFSA back in February. 

My appeal was granted today and I was given $2,000 more per semester, making my total award $22,000 per year (including $4,000 of work study per year). I'm still very hesitant due to the cost of living in NY...I'm not sure if I should try to appeal a second time or not. Columbia is my first choice but the price tag and the cost of living is just so daunting! 

3 hours ago, MSW88 said:

Has anyone appealed their scholarship WITHOUT having a scholarship from another school? I haven't applied to other grad schools (aside from Fordham and have yet to hear back on a decision). 

I am also wondering about this. 

3 hours ago, MSW88 said:

Has anyone appealed their scholarship WITHOUT having a scholarship from another school? I haven't applied to other grad schools (aside from Fordham and have yet to hear back on a decision). 

I had one very minor scholarship offer from Fordham but was also admitted to my state school where I would receive in-state tuition, so I used that to leverage. I didn't even mention Fordham's scholarship because it was so minor.  I think as long as you express your concerns and make it known that you really want to come to Columbia they should consider awarding you at least a little more money. 

1 hour ago, yogaandpearls06 said:

How did you guys appeal? What did you state in your letter?

I initially emailed the financial aid office and they directed me to the director of admissions, Debbie Lesperance. I basically stated that Columbia was my number one choice and that I was grateful for the initial scholarship offer but was still concerned about the cost due to the fact that I am coming straight out of undergrad and will be relocating from out of state. I also mentioned that I had been accepted to my state school which would be much more affordable due to in-state tuition.

5 hours ago, MSW88 said:

I did when I appealed when I was first accepted, I hadn't received any other scholarships at that time. Also they tend to give more work study towards the end of the year if they have it so you can expect anywhere from $500-1500 more of that. Not too much but still helpful. 

20 hours ago, jillchristine said:

I did when I appealed when I was first accepted, I hadn't received any other scholarships at that time. Also they tend to give more work study towards the end of the year if they have it so you can expect anywhere from $500-1500 more of that. Not too much but still helpful. 

Thank you :)

I just received my financial aid package and am very disappointed.  I only received $10k in scholarship and no work study.  This is disconcerting because it will cost me several thousands of dollars just to relocate from Alaska to NYC, and then the cost of the program.  I already have $36k in undergrad debt.  I am interested in what others are deciding. 

I received 20k with no work study. I am from LA and also got accepted to USC and UCLA. I am rejecting USC but idk what school to pick between Columbia and UCLA!

Is anyone from LA going to admitted students this Sat. at the Skirball? 

5 hours ago, van2312 said:

I received 20k with no work study. I am from LA and also got accepted to USC and UCLA. I am rejecting USC but idk what school to pick between Columbia and UCLA!

Is anyone from LA going to admitted students this Sat. at the Skirball? 

Hi Van2312, my hubby and I will be at the Skirball this weekend for the reception. :)

51 minutes ago, van2312 said:

Awsome :). Are we allowed to bring a guest?

For whatever reason, I did not think about that. haha! I emailed them asking. Will update when I get a response. 

Just now, msdeborahg said:

For whatever reason, I did not think about that. haha! I emailed them asking. Will update when I get a response. 

Haha please do :). In that case so I can bring someone too. Thank You! Look forward to seeing you! 

Edited by van2312

Columbia does allow family members to student day but they said it's a first come first serve basis, as there are limited seats. They also mentioned that the students /family members will be separated at some point. 

For those who appealed financial aid, how long did it take to hear a response on the appeal decision? 

43 minutes ago, MSW88 said:

Columbia does allow family members to student day but they said it's a first come first serve basis, as there are limited seats. They also mentioned that the students /family members will be separated at some point. 

For those who appealed financial aid, how long did it take to hear a response on the appeal decision? 

Mine took a week from the time I appealed to when I received my updated package. 

26 minutes ago, caitmcguire said:

Mine took a week from the time I appealed to when I received my updated package. 

Thank you! It's good to have a time line for my anxiety ?