2016 Acceptance Thread

panpsychist

1 minute ago, iamtheother said:

Vanderbilt, Loyola Chicago, Oregon, DePaul and Memphis. The list would have been longer, but I became super sick and did not recover in time to submit more. 

Dude, you got this. I'm not really sure if Vanderbilt is done accepting, even. 

Something similar happened to me, too, but my mom brought my laptop to the hospital. Love moms. <3 

2 hours ago, lisamadura said:

I love this. I move that this replace Patrick Bateman's condescending dance for any future acceptances. 

I agree! should you like to aid in the distribution you can click on it and copy the image address and paste it in and the meme should populate :) 

4 hours ago, lisamadura said:

In at Vanderbilt! ;alkdjf;aleihgoaishg;alsdkgh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <---the most articulate thing I could come up with. So Damn Excited. 

I am impressed. Your high number of acceptances suggests that you're quite good at Continental philosophy. I had to do a couple of courses in Continental stuff as an undergrad, and then I was required to do one seminar in the Continental tradition in my MA program. It was all over my head. I always feel intellectually humbled by the Continental folks in my program.

1 hour ago, iamtheother said:

Those Vanderbilt acceptances are bumming me out. Well done for those who got those calls.

Sigh*

Maybe there will be a waitlist... crumbs from the king's table etc.

The only good news I have had today is that someone mistakenly priced a bottle of wine at $2.97 instead of $12.97.

2 hours ago, MickeyRay said:

I feel this so hard. But I'm also so happy for the people that got in. It's a great program and I know a lot of awesome people there.

Edit: Oh hey and @iamtheother why does your signature say you were rejected from U of Oregon? Have you heard from them already or was that from a past year?

@MickeyRay I should have really updated that! I removed the old signature. The previous list was from the 2013 application year. I am finishing up my MA at Memphis if you have any questions about the department.

3 hours ago, dgswaim said:

I am impressed. Your high number of acceptances suggests that you're quite good at Continental philosophy. I had to do a couple of courses in Continental stuff as an undergrad, and then I was required to do one seminar in the Continental tradition in my MA program. It was all over my head. I always feel intellectually humbled by the Continental folks in my program.

Wow, thank you. I believe Continental Philosophy has gotten a bad reputation (likely because the writing tends to be impossibly cryptic) but I like to think it is being redeemed. I see so much value in the continental tradition of the 19th and 20th centuries and I enjoy doing the tedious, close readings. I would gladly take on the project of wading through the interpretive muck to distill it into something more accessible to others. 

We had a guest lecturer in my department recently who gave a talk on the philosophy of perception. She was showing how agnosia (disorders that make people unable to identify ordinary objects or what should be familiar faces) lends support to the idea that we actually perceive artifacts, rather than just more basic natural kinds and characteristics that we then infer to be artifacts. This was an unmistakably analytic topic and approach but it fed directly into my own work on Husserl and how the cognitive disposition and epistemological need to categorize in order to make the world intelligible leads to discrimination and exclusion on a social/political level. It was so encouraging to see a direct connection between these two traditions which have for so long been set in opposition to each other. This is perhaps idealistic, but I hope our generation of philosophers is open to collaboration across traditions. I don't consider myself a continental philosopher, though I have worked extensively on figures who fall under that heading. Neither do I consider myself an analytic philosopher, though I have worked on ethics, epistemology, political philosophy, and philosophy of science. 

14 minutes ago, lisamadura said:

Wow, thank you. I believe Continental Philosophy has gotten a bad reputation (likely because the writing tends to be impossibly cryptic) but I like to think it is being redeemed. I see so much value in the continental tradition of the 19th and 20th centuries and I enjoy doing the tedious, close readings. I would gladly take on the project of wading through the interpretive muck to distill it into something more accessible to others. 

We had a guest lecturer in my department recently who gave a talk on the philosophy of perception. She was showing how agnosia (disorders that make people unable to identify ordinary objects or what should be familiar faces) lends support to the idea that we actually perceive artifacts, rather than just more basic natural kinds and characteristics that we then infer to be artifacts. This was an unmistakably analytic topic and approach but it fed directly into my own work on Husserl and how the cognitive disposition and epistemological need to categorize in order to make the world intelligible leads to discrimination and exclusion on a social/political level. It was so encouraging to see a direct connection between these two traditions which have for so long been set in opposition to each other. This is perhaps idealistic, but I hope our generation of philosophers is open to collaboration across traditions. I don't consider myself a continental philosopher, though I have worked extensively on figures who fall under that heading. Neither do I consider myself an analytic philosopher, though I have worked on ethics, epistemology, political philosophy, and philosophy of science. 

I'm pretty squarely situated in the analytic camp, but I'm glad there are people doing other kinds of work. I think there's some momentum building behind the notion that the analytics and the continentals can have constructive dialogue (Lee Braver and Gary Gutting come to mind). The MA seminar in continental that I had to take was on "The Philosophy of the Event." My brain couldn't even. I came out of it with a decent grade, mostly because I pestered the continentally oriented students in my department on a constant basis, demanding that they explain it to me like I'm a f***ing 7 year-old. (Funny side note: the most difficult text to read was the one written by the dude teaching the class..... and it's also the text he had the most difficulty explaining).

7 minutes ago, iamtheother said:

I got an e-mail from Loyola Chicago notifying me that a decision is forthcoming and I should review my application.

You should review your application? What does that mean?

17 minutes ago, AnotherKantFan said:

Btw how does one create a signature? I can't figure it out :P 

Go into Account Settings. Signature is one of the tabs and you can create one there.

17 hours ago, brekekexkoax said:

Thanks! I'm sure you're right-- at least, my programs should start notifying in the next couple of weeks so i'll know! I hope to be in that 2 acceptances boat with you though. I'll paddle us to doctorate land. 

Sounds good, paddle along we shall :D. Where did you apply? Hope you hear something soon!

36 minutes ago, Siegfried42 said:

Sounds good, paddle along we shall :D. Where did you apply? Hope you hear something soon!

thanks! i applied to Fordham (rejected), Stony Brook, New School, CUNY, McGill, Western Ontario CSTC, Boston College and Boston Uni.

8 hours ago, iamtheother said:

I got an e-mail from Loyola Chicago notifying me that a decision is forthcoming and I should review my application.

Did you also get a personalized email a few weeks ago? I got one from them saying that they wanted me to know they were still reviewing applications. It was super random.

1 hour ago, Failedparachute said:

Did you also get a personalized email a few weeks ago? I got one from them saying that they wanted me to know they were still reviewing applications. It was super random.

Same, but from WashU and GSU. I was like, "okay...? I figured as much anyways...."