2016 Acceptance Thread

panpsychist

47 minutes ago, jacbarcan said:

Just as a general answer to this question:

My dad is a phd candidate (in his 50s, go dad!) at one of top twenty PGR ranked schools (though he doesn't do philosophy) and he's in close contact with the professors who explained a little something to me the other day. (Makes a lot of sense too.) Generally as we know, schools will keep some if not all rejected candidates waiting. Since they accept so few candidates and (at least some schools) have so little funding, they don't really have a choice other than keep people waiting.

Now responding to the question above, it's definitely a good sign if you're not included in the first round of rejections, but I can't imagine everyone in the first round is everyone at all that'll be rejected (not including wait lists). (And for those in the first round, don't be alarmed. There are so many reasons you might be rejected. It'll mainly be because of a fit problem. You did too much phil of mind. They don't have a phil of mind prof, don't want any new phil of mind students this year, or have too many phil of mind applicants. We've all heard they try to fill certain spots. Sometimes you are the perfect candidate for a spot they're just not interested in this year.) As we've learned with CUNY in the past (and maybe USC this year as well), some schools do send out a lot of rejections first, but also send a waves after. Be happy you didn't get one, but don't read too much hope into it. They're probably just trying to notify the first group so people can just hear back as soon as possible.

As to the question (not posed above) about why they don't just wait list more people. I'm not really sure, but if they have to fund visits in any way, that could be a reason not to do that. 

But how do keeping us waiting help them?

15 minutes ago, pecado said:

But how do keeping us waiting help them?

So they can pull from the no-status pile if enough people they admit reject their offer. 

That's at least what I've heard about the department at my dad's school. 

Congratulation to all those who have already received offers and put on waitlists!

I'm a current PhD student at the University of Oregon; I stop by every once out of curiosity (now that I'm not madly refreshing the results page, preserving a thick cloud of anxiety and stress out of  what must have been deep-seated masochistic tendencies).

Anyway, I wanted to highhhhly recommend reaching out and contacting current students at your prospective schools, even if you aren't slated for a campus visit. It's been said (but bears repeating) that you're not only deciding the next several years of your professional and intellectual life, but your social and personal life as well. Getting a sense for how graduate students get along, whether or not there's a sense of community of camaraderie among them, whether they're generally enjoying their lives [at that school, in that city, in that part of the world, in that climate, in that dating pool, etc]. 

Of course, if you've been accepted to Oregon, are on the waitlist, or are just interested in our program, I'd be happy to chat! I'm a little biased (obviously), but I can promise to be as honest and informative as possible. Consider me a very, very early welcome wagon (as I have been for a few years now). 

Does anyone have some insider info re UC Davis? 3 people who post on this site have claimed acceptances, but there are no wait lists or rejections posted. Should I give up all hope for a wait list/late acceptance? 

3 minutes ago, MickeyRay said:

So are all of the oregon offers out then?

I think they're still going out. Historically, it's taken a while for the waitlist to be notified. Many of us were originally on the waitlist (myself included!), so don't interpret a waitlist offer as bad news should you end up on it. 

1 hour ago, WVE said:

Does anyone have some insider info re UC Davis? 3 people who post on this site have claimed acceptances, but there are no wait lists or rejections posted. Should I give up all hope for a wait list/late acceptance? 

I sent an email asking but haven't had a response yet.

1 minute ago, Hadeel said:

Hi People! 

Just in, Professor Earl Conee says no decisions have been sent by the department yet. So the Rochester result was fake too. Hang in there, y'all!

I don't understand why people are doing this. 

Maybe they're accidentally putting in "philosophy"? 

24 minutes ago, Hadeel said:

Hi People! 

Just in, Professor Earl Conee says no decisions have been sent by the department yet. So the Rochester result was fake too. Hang in there, y'all!

I don't understand why people are doing this. 

Rochester wasn't fake. 

3 minutes ago, shitandthings said:

Rochester wasn't fake. 

Did you receive the acceptance? 

These are his exact words: 

As far as I know, no admission decions by the philosophy department are yet announced.

Sincerely,
Earl Conee

1 minute ago, shitandthings said:

Yes. With a fellowship. 

Oh well, congratulations. :D Sorry!

That probably explains why there has been just one acceptance so far. 

3 minutes ago, AgentScully said:

Just got an e-mail from UNC!

I should say though, I'm rooting for you to get in at literally every place that you've applied so as to increase the conditional probability of your turning down Penn! :)