2016 Acceptance Thread

panpsychist

46 minutes ago, lisamadura said:

I am going to assume that I haven't received anything in the mail because I live just about as far as you can get from Boston so the acceptance letter has further to travel (don't tell me where you live, I'd rather remain comfortably within my delusions).

I'm in Boston. Literally two miles from BC. I am pretending that my letter has gotten lost, possibly in a parallel dimension? Oh god.

Just now, AmandaEvans said:

Can we compile a list of places where, if we haven't heard back from them by now, it's probably a no? I'll add (and I'm not positive on all these)

Duke

Chicago

Berkeley

Fordham i'll add to that list. 

15 minutes ago, AmandaEvans said:

Can we compile a list of places where, if we haven't heard back from them by now, it's probably a no? I'll add (and I'm not positive on all these)

Duke

Chicago

Berkeley

15 minutes ago, brekekexkoax said:

Fordham i'll add to that list. 

2 minutes ago, brush said:

and Arizona (as far as I know they've sent out both acceptances and waitlist already)

Indiana HPS, and UC Irvine LPS,

8 hours ago, FoxAndChicken said:

Or the CMU's?

6 hours ago, Chrysippus'Doge said:

I second this. Either of the two acceptances have any more information? 

One of those is mine. I got an email at around 10:00am yesterday (Monday), but it contained limited information, as the official letter is apparently on its way. I'm arranging to talk to my contact about the program on Friday, but all I know from the wording so far is that some sort of stipend might be involved. (Super stoked....)

25 minutes ago, designer peirce said:

One of those is mine. I got an email at around 10:00am yesterday (Monday), but it contained limited information, as the official letter is apparently on its way. I'm arranging to talk to my contact about the program on Friday, but all I know from the wording so far is that some sort of stipend might be involved. (Super stoked....)

Does that mean there's still hope for us maybe? :wacko:

36 minutes ago, what_is_the_mind said:

... As the day fades into the next,
new opportunities for emails
rises with the sun ... 

33 minutes ago, what_is_the_mind said:

... It soothes my sanity
to see others
in the sea of Limbo ...

32 minutes ago, what_is_the_mind said:

... During this time,
my work is neglected before me,
the very thing I wish to study
for the next five to six years ... 

... A tear falls

landing in my wine

sobbing ensues while

images of Camus on the beach play before my eyes... 

7 hours ago, FoxAndChicken said:

7 hours ago, designer peirce said:

Wait which school did you get an email from? 

12 hours ago, MVSCZAR said:

Ditto. Although I live pretty close in NYC. But there was snow today... :unsure:

I solicited an email from Boston college about when people might hear back and I got this reply: 

"All admissions letters will be sent out before April 15, 2016. The committee is in the process of reviewing the files at the present time." 

So april is is obviously for rejected and Waitlisted people but it sounds like they're still deciding? Otherwise I think in my case at least, if I'd already been rejected, she might have told me. Or she didn't look it up and just told me the boilerplate response. Hope this helps

Got an email from Loyola this morning. Waitlisted. 

I NEED ADVICE. I'm not terribly concerned about anonymity. I doubt that admissions committees spend their time perusing TGC sizing up the applicants. And if they do, nothing I have posted would give them any reason to doubt my abilities as a philosopher. However, I had a moment of paranoia this morning. There are still a lot of school that have not yet made final decisions, do you think that if someone on the admissions committee happens to wander into this thread and see that I have multiple acceptances they will reconsider offering me a spot because they think it is likely I'll turn them down and go with a different school? Or does that seem super far-fetched? 

3 minutes ago, lisamadura said:

Got an email from Loyola this morning. Waitlisted. 

I NEED ADVICE. I'm not terribly concerned about anonymity. I doubt that admissions committees spend their time perusing TGC sizing up the applicants. And if they do, nothing I have posted would give them any reason to doubt my abilities as a philosopher. However, I had a moment of paranoia this morning. There are still a lot of school that have not yet made final decisions, do you think that if someone on the admissions committee happens to wander into this thread and see that I have multiple acceptances they will reconsider offering me a spot because they think it is likely I'll turn them down and go with a different school? Or does that seem super far-fetched? 

i think no professor is going on gradcafe, and if some admins are they aren't digging this deeply into it. If anybody is still deliberating, they're doing it based on your application/writing sample. I don't think you have anything to worry about! Be happy for your acceptances and relax :)

17 hours ago, Ofterdingen said:

Here to claim the BC posting. I got the letter through old-fashioned snail mail this afternoon (it was signed on the Feb 4), went online afterwards, and noticed that nothing was updated there yet.

Best of luck to everyone out there!

Did they letter say anything about special extra fellowships, funding, or how many others might be accepted?

has ANYBODY else heard anything from Stony Brook? only three known acceptances so far, and those were all Jan 23rd. They usually take more than that. Is somebody holding out? If you haven't heard yet, historically that seems to be bad news...

10 minutes ago, brekekexkoax said:

Did they letter say anything about special extra fellowships, funding, or how many others might be accepted?

I did receive an additional fellowship -- so there is a fair chance BC has not sent all their offers out! Not much else is said on the letter, unfortunately.

Just now, Ofterdingen said:

I did receive an additional fellowship -- so there is a fair chance BC has not sent all their offers out! Not much else is said on the letter, unfortunately.

No that's really useful actually, thanks! It's been my observation that unis send acceptances out early for extra fellowships and it's likely more on are their way for regular acceptances. 

congratulations, as well!

11 hours ago, designer peirce said:

Thanks for the information! Congratualtions!

11 hours ago, FoxAndChicken said:

I wouldn't give up hope quite yet, even though CMU's a tiny department. Or at least that's what I'm telling myself...