NSF GRFP 2009-2010

Viva

So is the consensus that results will be posted before e-mails are sent out?

There was about a 20 minute delay for me personally between when I found outon the site, and received an e-mail. The e-mail came later.

So let's say that the emails were sent/received at ~1:20 AM (Eastern) last year, and the results were posted at ~1:00* AM...does anyone remember if the website went down at 11:00pm or midnight last year? ;)

Edited by fifthneville

Be thankful that you didn't watch the end of the NCAA hoops final. Butler was SO CLOSE to beating Duke. Yet another bad omen. With Duke winning the championship, I'm not expecting to hear about the GRFP till Friday.

Haha, for real, I already experienced one heart attack and serious, serious disappointment when watching the game. I actually might not be upset if the second round of that got put off.

So I asked if I'd get the NSF...and it said yes. Further empirical testing to begin shortly. It's a nice diversion from clicking refesh.

I got "definitely" for the awards being announced tonight and "definitely" for me receiving one! I think this thing is totally legit.

The combination of the end of that basketball game, studying for a very difficult (for me) stats exam, and anticipating the announcement is getting to be too much! I really envy my cat about now: all he worries about is when he's getting fed.

The combination of the end of that basketball game, studying for a very difficult (for me) stats exam, and anticipating the announcement is getting to be too much! I really envy my cat about now: all he worries about is when he's getting fed.

Haha, I always get jealous of my cat when I'm stressed. He's sleeping in my lap, now :)

Q: Will the NSF announcement come before midnight?

A: My sources say no.

Q: Will the NSF announcement come before 1AM?

A: Ask again later.

Q: Will the NSF annoucement come before 2AM?

A: My sources say no.

This is starting to sound eerily like the call center...

But speculating is so much fun:-)

Wouldn't that just be cruel if they changed the URL so that those of us who use a bookmark or the autocomplete in our address bar to go to the ratings sheets won't see the awards appear? Even crueller would be if somehow the redirect to "page not found" gets cached on our machines so we go to the evil Page of Taunting in perpetuity... glad I'm not their SysAdmin... might be tempting :rolleyes:

Does anyone have a link to the facebook page(group? fanpage) where the seeemingly-reliable stuff about 2009-2010 NSF GRFP was posted? I can't find it in Search for some reason.

Does anyone have a link to the facebook page(group? fanpage) where the seeemingly-reliable stuff about 2009-2010 NSF GRFP was posted? I can't find it in Search for some reason.

Facebook:

spell it out- no abbreviations

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Washington-DC/National-Science-Foundation-Graduate-Research-Fellowship-Program/71182286186?ref=ts

So let's say that the emails were sent/received at ~1:20 AM (Eastern) last year, and the results were posted at ~1:00* AM...does anyone remember if the website went down at 11:00pm or midnight last year? ;)

FYI: THE website notification from last year, taken from the 2009 thread

"FastLane will be unavailable Thursday, April 9 from 11:00PM ET until 1:00AM ET on Friday, April 10 for scheduled maintenance. We apologize for any inconvenience."

FYI: THE website notification from last year, taken from the 2009 thread

"FastLane will be unavailable Thursday, April 9 from 11:00PM ET until 1:00AM ET on Friday, April 10 for scheduled maintenance. We apologize for any inconvenience."

Thanks for the info! In that case, I'm going to bed, since I can expect an email around...5AM?

/sigh

Thanks for the info! In that case, I'm going to bed, since I can expect an email around...5AM?

/sigh

I don't know... I'm thinking their strategy will be to take the site down, send out all the e-mails, then bring it back up after e-mails have been sent. That way, everybody will see their official e-mail first.

Last year they only shut down Fastlane for 2 hours, which resulted in a number of problems. NSF's whole deal this year has to do with (1) getting emails out before people can just look up the list online and find out about other people before those people can check their emails; and (2) not having everyone inundate Fastlane at the same time to use it as their primary source of notification, resulting in the same problem as in (1)

What if..

The uploading of results to The List takes around 2 hours. We will start to get emails at the end of those 2 hours, with all emails completed by 5am. Last year people received emails between 1am and 4-5am. At 5am, after everyone theoretically has had a chance to view personal results via email, The List will be posted.

.. thoughts?

[edit] SORRY bioturbonick, totally just said what you said already. I seem to be doing this a lot today.

Edited by julip