California SLPA (Question)

Hello everyone!

As a recent graduate (from California) with a Bachelor's in Speech-Language Pathology, I have decided to take a year or two off to gather some experience and build up my confidence in the field before applying to graduate school. :)

My goal is to become a certified SLP-A but I'm a bit confused about how to meet the minimum qualifications.

I have a B.S., however, I do not have all of the 100 supervised hours required.

What are my options in order to complete the 100 supervised hours? Do I have to enroll in a program? Or where/who should I turn to?

Thanks so much! Feel free to correct me if I put out any wrong information. I may have misunderstood the ASHA requirements.

Unfortunately, as silly as it is, from my own research you do need to enroll in a program.  My intention was to find my own preceptor (which I did) and log my hours and have them signed off and apply.  According to the SLPA advisor in my current program, you need to have someone from a university (or SLPA program) sign off for you as well.  I asked if they would be willing to sign me off if I completed my hours (and BTW the preceptor MUST have their CCCs).  They said no, they wouldn't.  So you either have to go through an SLP program at a 4 yr school which is shorter but more expensive - or go through a two-year longer but cheaper community college program.

I even emailed the community colleges, to find out if they would waive classes as I was a major.  No deal. 

For the record, it sounds as though in my area (SoCal) Loma Linda is the least expensive and is pretty quick, as far as the 4 yr universities go.  But please re-post if you find anything that contradicts my own findings.

At the community college where I'm doing the SLPA program, only the 3 clinical courses are required for those who already have the bachelor's in CSD. I won't complete my 2nd bachelor's until the final semester of the SLPA program so I am required to take 1 pre-req and 1 co-req. But still way fewer courses than are required for the associate's degree.

1 hour ago, Crimson Wife said:

At the community college where I'm doing the SLPA program, only the 3 clinical courses are required for those who already have the bachelor's in CSD. I won't complete my 2nd bachelor's until the final semester of the SLPA program so I am required to take 1 pre-req and 1 co-req. But still way fewer courses than are required for the associate's degree.

That is truly amazing!!!  So glad you posted as a Northern Californian.  :) 

3 hours ago, Jolie717 said:

Unfortunately, as silly as it is, from my own research you do need to enroll in a program.  My intention was to find my own preceptor (which I did) and log my hours and have them signed off and apply.  According to the SLPA advisor in my current program, you need to have someone from a university (or SLPA program) sign off for you as well.  I asked if they would be willing to sign me off if I completed my hours (and BTW the preceptor MUST have their CCCs).  They said no, they wouldn't.  So you either have to go through an SLP program at a 4 yr school which is shorter but more expensive - or go through a two-year longer but cheaper community college program.

I even emailed the community colleges, to find out if they would waive classes as I was a major.  No deal. 

For the record, it sounds as though in my area (SoCal) Loma Linda is the least expensive and is pretty quick, as far as the 4 yr universities go.  But please re-post if you find anything that contradicts my own findings.

Thanks so much for all of the information! That's what I thought as well.

During my undergrad, I DID have some hours signed off by a university CCC-SLP. I just need to complete more hours in order to complete the 100 hours minimum.

Would you happen to know if that's permissible then?

2 minutes ago, seekingSLPAdvice said:

Thanks so much for all of the information! That's what I thought as well.

During my undergrad, I DID have some hours signed off by a university CCC-SLP. I just need to complete more hours in order to complete the 100 hours minimum.

Would you happen to know if that's permissible then?

Sorry - but I'm guessing not, at least here in SoCal.  Keep in mind, I did my research a year ago, so things may have changed.  Plus I was amazed by what Crimson Wife said - the criteria in Northern Cali (where I'm from lol) is apparently different from where I am now (Southern Cali). 

The general impression I received was that there needed to be an "umbrella" type college signing off on your hours as well - either a 4 yr university or a 2 yr community college program.  Hope this helps!

The option for just the 3 clinical courses for those with a bachelor's in CSD is called "Advanced Placement standing". https://www.deltacollege.edu/div/hs/slpa.html

I corresponded with the head of the SLPA program about my options for doing the full Associate's plus a few upper division leveling courses vs. just the SLPA certificate plus the full 2nd bachelor's in CSD. She advised doing the latter if I wanted to pursue my master's. It's more expensive but opens up more choices for grad school plus it makes me a stronger candidate for SLPA positions.