2016 Waitlist Thread

philosophe

6 minutes ago, MentalEngineer said:

Party! Is there any bourbon left in Jonny's office?

HAH! I'm scared to start partying, since its still probably a long shot at admission, but it does feel good to finally have some sort of positive notification.

2 minutes ago, MVSCZAR said:

Who the fuck is Jonny and are we all invited? Party!! 

But, yes, I everyone is invited. Come to the 6th floor of curtain hall

...and bring bourbon in case Jonny is out

4 hours ago, completeurprofile said:

Columbia waitlist here. I really hope I can get in! 

Claiming another Columbia waitlist.

Did Akeel give you an indication of where you are on the list?  He didn't for me.

Also, did he say anything about reimbursing your flight to the prospective students event?  I ask because usually people at the top of the list are reimbursed, so it's an indication of where you are on the list.  For me he just said he hopes I attend and more details about the event will come soon.

46 minutes ago, SamStone said:

Does Stanford do a waitlist? I didn't see any wait lists posted from last year. If so, think they'll be sending them out today? 

I just came here to ask that. Someone on the other thread said the only people contacted yesterday were the ones who had AOI in ancient. I just searched and it looks like in the last 3 years there's only ever been 1 WL post... so either their WL is very short (and people didn't post on TGC) or they don't do a WL. TBD!

9 minutes ago, philosophe said:

I just came here to ask that. Someone on the other thread said the only people contacted yesterday were the ones who had AOI in ancient. I just searched and it looks like in the last 3 years there's only ever been 1 WL post... so either their WL is very short (and people didn't post on TGC) or they don't do a WL. TBD!

I know definitely that Stanford has done a waitlist in the past. I don't know how long it was or whether they'll do one this year, though.

21 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Did Akeel give you an indication of where you are on the list?  He didn't for me.

Also, did he say anything about reimbursing your flight to the prospective students event?  I ask because usually people at the top of the list are reimbursed, so it's an indication of where you are on the list.  For me he just said he hopes I attend and more details about the event will come soon.

I asked, and he said the waitlist is not ranked. I think it depends on what your AOI is. 

11 minutes ago, completeurprofile said:

I asked, and he said the waitlist is not ranked. I think it depends on what your AOI is. 

Yeah, I ended up asking him and he told me the same.  So I guess each of us on the list has a distinct AOI?  

What is yours?  Mine is mind / cognitive science.

5 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Yeah, I ended up asking him and he told me the same.  So I guess each of us on the list has a distinct AOI?  

What is yours?  Mine is mind / cognitive science.

A few hours ago I got an email from Maia Bernstein at Columbia, regarding the open house. I was offered $300 in travel for the event. 

I also asked Akeel about the wait list ranking and decision deadlines. Was simlarly told it is AOI dependent and  that they expect mid-April to be the point at which the final list is settled. 

1 minute ago, jorou said:

A few hours ago I got an email from Maia Bernstein at Columbia, regarding the open house. I was offered $300 in travel for the event. 

I also asked Akeel about the wait list ranking and decision deadlines. Was simlarly told it is AOI dependent and  that they expect mid-April to be the point at which the final list is settled. 

Are you attending the open house?  I've already begun looking at flights.

It's really unfortunate that the event is so close to the April 15 deadline.  It kind of forces people to decide in one week.  I imagine a lot of people won't make a decision until they've visited.

10 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Are you attending the open house?  I've already begun looking at flights.

Would like to, but I live in London so it's going to cost me a fair amount. 

I have an offer from LSE with funding that I'm really happy with, but the possibility of working with a really stellar adviser at Columbia (Philip Kitcher) is giving me pause. Grrr...why does this have to be so complicated? 

2 minutes ago, jorou said:

Would like to, but I live in London so it's going to cost me a fair amount. 

I have an offer from LSE with funding that I'm really happy with, but the possibility of working with a really stellar adviser at Columbia (Philip Kitcher) is giving me pause. Grrr...why does this have to be so complicated? 

Yeah, that is tough.  If it were an offer, I would definitely visit in your position.  But that is expensive for a wait list visit.

I was set on accepting Indiana, but this Columbia wait list just changed everything (i.e., made everything more complicated) for me..

9 minutes ago, hot.glass said:

Also waitlisted at UMass with a "good chance" for funding. I really did not expect this at all........

Nice!

3 hours ago, philosophe said:

WL (for funding) at U Mass! 

Do you think we could pool our wait lists together and trade them in for a couple of offers?

Just got off the phone with Martin Lin from Rutgers. He said, among other (very helpful and nice) things, that the waitlist is "unordered and short", but that "there's a chance" they may not get into it this season. The last comment was made in conjunction with the statement "I don't want to mislead you about your chances." If anyone else is on the waitlist, that's the information I have. Bit vague, since presumably there's always a chance a department won't reach into the waitlist. I'm gonna keep hope since Rutgers is one of two departments (the other being NYU) for which I'd seriously consider saying no to Harvard.