2016 Waitlist Thread

philosophe

Accepted into the LSU Philosophy MA program, but on a wait list for funding through the department. They actually recommended me to an open Gender Studies Assistantship, but I didn't end up getting that position either. Definitely a lot of waiting to the grad school application process. On a side note, I would say that Professor Shufreider has been nothing but nice to me. After letting him know about the Gender Studies Assistantship rejection, he informed me that he should have a better idea on funding through the department within the next few days. So. Fingers crossed. 

This is the first time in my life I'll be able to afford living alone, so I. Am. Doing. That. I think I remember hearing that a 2-person place that's currently being rented by two philosophers is being vacated, though, and that they're looking for replacements. You should message/friend some current students in the program and ask around for other possible opportunities.

Edited by MentalEngineer

2 minutes ago, MentalEngineer said:

This is the first time in my life I'll be able to afford living alone, so I. Am. Doing. That. I think I remember hearing that a 2-person place that's currently being rented by two philosophers is being vacated, though, and that they're looking for replacements. You should message/friend some current students in the program and ask around for other possible opportunities.

You know have no idea how much I recommend doing this. I can't even measure how much my quality of life went up once I started living alone. Grad school is very stressful! So many of my colleagues constantly complain about their living situations. You just don't need those extra distractions. Unless you're a social butterfly that needs constant interaction, I recommend living alone. It's great!

4 minutes ago, currentphilgrad said:

You know have no idea how much I recommend doing this. I can't even measure how much my quality of life went up once I started living alone. Grad school is very stressful! So many of my colleagues constantly complain about their living situations. You just don't need those extra distractions. Unless you're a social butterfly that needs constant interaction, I recommend living alone. It's great!

A number of people at UWM have roommates, but most of them live with other philosophy grad students. This seems like it works, as long as you're willing to become academic/platonic life partners with the other person. That ain't me, though.

1 hour ago, MentalEngineer said:

You should message/friend some current students in the program and ask around for other possible opportunities.

Yea that's a good idea. I'm still considering living alone myself but I haven't actually done any budget calculations yet to see what that'd be like. I like to spend a lot on food.

9 hours ago, brush said:

Yea that's a good idea. I'm still considering living alone myself but I haven't actually done any budget calculations yet to see what that'd be like. I like to spend a lot on food.

Depending on where you are now, it may be...somewhat more difficult to drop half your monthly budget on food in Tallahassee. I share your disposition, so I asked about this. :) It seems to be possible to get an apartment for $500-$700, which seems pretty manageable.

13 hours ago, MentalEngineer said:

Amen brother!

I've had a string of bad roommate situations.