2016 Waitlist Thread

philosophe

5 minutes ago, dgswaim said:

Also known as HFU

(Harvard Fucking University)

Seriously. Everyone and their mother knows Harvard. I'd be so happy right now if I had been waitlisted there. Totes ded. 

15 hours ago, TheJabberwock said:

Thank you, that is very kind of you. She did not invite me to visit, but I asked her roughly the likelihood of an offer being made to me and she said that people have received offers in recent years in the spot I am located. So I am guessing middle of the waitlist maybe higher based on some of the positive feedback. She was being prudent not to give me false hope though, you never know if this year will be like recent ones or not.

Do you know for sure yet if you are going to turn down an offer from Rice? I would say wait until you are fairly certain you are not going to attend. As much as I would appreciate moving up the list, I would also like for you to make the best decision. I will gladly wait. : )

She emailed me last night to say I've made it off the list and offer me an acceptance.  So you've definitely moved one spot up the wait list.

I am fairly certain that I'll accept one of my other offers, but I'm a bit reluctant to turn down the Rice acceptance at least until I've visited the two schools I'm interested in.  So I'm sorry to make the you and the others wait, but I may hold off on turning it down for now.

Also, she told me that the top two people on the wait list receive invitations.  So that gives you an indication of where you are on the list.

50 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

She emailed me last night to say I've made it off the list and offer me an acceptance.  So you've definitely moved one spot up the wait list.

I am fairly certain that I'll accept one of my other offers, but I'm a bit reluctant to turn down the Rice acceptance at least until I've visited the two schools I'm interested in.  So I'm sorry to make the you and the others wait, but I may hold off on turning it down for now.

Also, she told me that the top two people on the wait list receive invitations.  So that gives you an indication of where you are on the list.

Okay cool. If I were in your place I would wait until I had visited the other schools as well. Thank you for the information!

5 hours ago, limitsofourlanguage said:

Hi! This is my first time posting (I've been lurking for ages--you are all great!), but I can claim the Harvard waitlist! I got an email to check the website just a few moments ago, and a link to a (bizarrely poorly typeset) letter about the waitlist was available. Maybe that means they're sending out offers over the course of today?

Congratulations!

5 hours ago, limitsofourlanguage said:

Hi! This is my first time posting (I've been lurking for ages--you are all great!), but I can claim the Harvard waitlist! I got an email to check the website just a few moments ago, and a link to a (bizarrely poorly typeset) letter about the waitlist was available. Maybe that means they're sending out offers over the course of today?

4 hours ago, AgentScully said:

Also a Harvard wait list and it is my top choice.

Congratulations!

Does the conditional probability of getting admitted from a wait list increase with each wait list result, or is each instance of a wait list result discrete such that the total probability of being admitted is just the sum of each probabilistic value describing the likelihood of being admitted from each individual wait list?

2 minutes ago, dgswaim said:

Does the conditional probability of getting admitted from a wait list increase with each wait list result, or is each instance of a wait list result discrete such that the total probability of being admitted is just the sum of each probabilistic value describing the likelihood of being admitted from each individual wait list?

yes.

Edit: wait a sec, I remember this joke going over poorly last time...

Edited by philosophe

35 minutes ago, philosophe said:

yes.

Edit: wait a sec, I remember this joke going over poorly last time...

Well, and a posed the question poorly. What I meant to get at was something like whether the probability of the event of getting in off of a waiting list is distinct from the sum of each of the cases in the disjunct. I think the answer is no, so the conditional probability of getting admitted from the wait list is just equal to the additive probability of getting admitted from the places one's been wait listed at.

EDIT: Whatever the case, we be rockin' dem wait lists!

Edited by dgswaim

9 hours ago, AgentScully said:

Also a Harvard wait list and it is my top choice.

Claiming a Harvard wait list as well. 

The letter isn't the most hopeful - but I'm not letting that keep my expectations down!

Here's to hoping we both get in through the back door!

Got waitlisted at Cornell !!

I know a lot of people meet being waitlisted with disappointment ...but I'm ABSOLUTELY thrilled.  In fact, I was trembling as I read the email because it started off with "mixed news" so I started skim-reading to get to the "bad" part quickly, but once I got to the end, I was like: "That's it?  I've been waitlisted?  That's ... freaking FANTASTIC!"  

Apologies if I sound hyperbolic, but I knew that applying to PhD programs in philosophy would be a long shot for me since I do not have a formal qualification in philosophy.  I initially only aimed for MA programs, but my professors strongly urged me to also try for some PhD programs given the caliber of my grades and, more importantly, their own belief in me (for which I am grateful.  I really do have fantastic teachers).  

So I am deeply humbled that a school would be willing to take a chance with me.  The resultant feeling's indescribable ... but my best attempt is this: it fills me with conviction. Gratitude and conviction. 

Of course as much as I would like to get admitted to Cornell, I wish the admittees all the best and I hope they have a great experience and philosophical journey at Cornell, even if I turn out to be unable to join them there. 

36 minutes ago, Poetic Justice said:

Got waitlisted at Cornell !!

I know a lot of people meet being waitlisted with disappointment ...but I'm ABSOLUTELY thrilled.  In fact, I was trembling as I read the email because it started off with "mixed news" so I started skim-reading to get to the "bad" part quickly, but once I got to the end, I was like: "That's it?  I've been waitlisted?  That's ... freaking FANTASTIC!"  

Apologies if I sound hyperbolic, but I knew that applying to PhD programs in philosophy would be a long shot for me since I do not have a formal qualification in philosophy.  I initially only aimed for MA programs, but my professors strongly urged me to also try for some PhD programs given the caliber of my grades and, more importantly, their own belief in me (for which I am grateful.  I really do have fantastic teachers).  

So I am deeply humbled that a school would be willing to take a chance with me.  The resultant feeling's indescribable ... but my best attempt is this: it fills me with conviction. Gratitude and conviction. 

Of course as much as I would like to get admitted to Cornell, I wish the admittees all the best and I hope they have a great experience and philosophical journey at Cornell, even if I turn out to be unable to join them there. 

Congrats!!  If I'm accepted at Columbia (which I hope there's a chance of? maybe?) there's a good chance I'll turn down my Cornell offer.  So you definitely have a shot!  Really hope you get an offer regardless :)

7 hours ago, dgswaim said:

Anyone claiming the UBC wait list???

7 minutes ago, dgswaim said:

I don't know how to feel about this. 

Congrats though!

Thanks! I would suggest feeling either uninterested or hopeful.It didn't seem like an automated message, so these will probably go out over the course of a few days, and it seems to have gone out before full-blown acceptances. 

6 hours ago, doxazein918 said:

Congrats!!  If I'm accepted at Columbia (which I hope there's a chance of? maybe?) there's a good chance I'll turn down my Cornell offer.  So you definitely have a shot!  Really hope you get an offer regardless :)

Many thanks for your kind words @doxazein918 !  Fingers crossed for you too :) !

Edit: and thank you to everyone else with updates on Cornell !  I appreciate your consideration and I hope above all you that you guys make the decision that's best for you.  

Edited by Poetic Justice

7 hours ago, kantbook said:

Just declined offers to Toronto, Cornell, and UCSD. Hope this makes a few people's lives over the next month a little easier! 

You perfect person... I could kiss you. 

Edited by MVSCZAR