2016 Waitlist Thread

philosophe

23 hours ago, frege-bombs said:

Waitlisted at the University of Miami. Waitlisted at assloads of humidity. 

I also got wait listed. Been trying to figure out how expansive the list is. Did they put your letter in terms of "funding"? 

On 2/18/2016 at 1:04 PM, currentphilgrad said:

Waitlisted at WashU! That's 3 waitlists for me! Now if only I could turn some of those into acceptances...

Same. Did you apply to PNP? Weird their waitlist isn't ranked... trying to figure out how extensive the list is. 

2 hours ago, blondeambition said:

Same. Did you apply to PNP? Weird their waitlist isn't ranked... trying to figure out how extensive the list is. 

I am guessing 30ish based on emails with the DGS, but they wait list by area (ethics, cogsci, etc.).  If some ethics guy they accepted drops out, then someone on the ethics waiting list gets in.  Someone doing cogsci who they accepted declines the offer, someone on the cogsci list gets in.  So you might be on a shorter area of interest waiting list, 5-7 people or something.  But then, there might only be 1 ethics "slot".  They have 4-6 slots to fill overall and they thought that almost 40/170 applicants were qualified.  They accepted more than 4-6 people, assuming someone would drop out, I guess.  I think that means that even if people turn down their offer, there is no guarantee that you'll be bumped up on the wait list.  But who knows?  Maybe we'll get lucky.  I am wait-listed at WUSTL too, and at Indiana.  

Edited by phiapplicant16

On 2/22/2016 at 0:57 PM, TheJabberwock said:

Congrats? I was just waitlisted at Rice! I'm taking this as good news since my other contact with a department was not.

Did Gwen offer for you to visit Rice?

She said I'm at the top of the wait list and invited me.  But I will most likely turn down an acceptance even if I get it.  If it means the next person on the wait list can have my invitation, I'll let her know immediately.

5 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Did Gwen offer for you to visit Rice?

She said I'm at the top of the wait list and invited me.  But I will most likely turn down an acceptance even if I get it.  If it means the next person on the wait list can have my invitation, I'll let her know immediately.

Thank you, that is very kind of you. She did not invite me to visit, but I asked her roughly the likelihood of an offer being made to me and she said that people have received offers in recent years in the spot I am located. So I am guessing middle of the waitlist maybe higher based on some of the positive feedback. She was being prudent not to give me false hope though, you never know if this year will be like recent ones or not.

Do you know for sure yet if you are going to turn down an offer from Rice? I would say wait until you are fairly certain you are not going to attend. As much as I would appreciate moving up the list, I would also like for you to make the best decision. I will gladly wait. : )

1 minute ago, philstudent1992 said:

At least one admission has gone out today. (Not me)

Was it posted? I can't find it.

Edit: Just checked -- nothing posted from Harvard besides the WL

Edited by oldhatnewtricks

Hi! This is my first time posting (I've been lurking for ages--you are all great!), but I can claim the Harvard waitlist! I got an email to check the website just a few moments ago, and a link to a (bizarrely poorly typeset) letter about the waitlist was available. Maybe that means they're sending out offers over the course of today?

1 minute ago, limitsofourlanguage said:

Hi! This is my first time posting (I've been lurking for ages--you are all great!), but I can claim the Harvard waitlist! I got an email to check the website just a few moments ago, and a link to a (bizarrely poorly typeset) letter about the waitlist was available. Maybe that means they're sending out offers over the course of today?

:o:o Congrats!! I shan't be more than a foot from my phone until I go to bed now.... :o

52 minutes ago, AgentScully said:

Also a Harvard wait list and it is my top choice.

The solution is obviously to kill everyone who got in. :P 

Congratulations! That's like, HARVARD. A big fucking deal. 

10 minutes ago, MVSCZAR said:

The solution is obviously to kill everyone who got in. :P 

Congratulations! That's like, HARVARD. A big fucking deal. 

Also known as HFU

(Harvard Fucking University)