Admitted Students Open Houses/Invitation Weekends

hbnj

So I'm going to a recruitment weekend this upcoming weekend.

They gave us names and brief bios of others attending, and I couldn't help myself but Googling everyone. Creepy? I feel a little creepy, but I also feel like its justified because it's research. :D 

1 hour ago, Neist said:

They gave us names and brief bios of others attending, and I couldn't help myself but Googling everyone. Creepy? I feel a little creepy, but I also feel like its justified because it's research. :D 

It's practically the norm.  People have turned to Google to answer their life questions.  Like, is this person going to suck or be awesome as my dissertation-writing partner?  Just do these things-- try not to compare yourself (you ALL got in and each have something to contribute!) and use the information wisely as a way of coming up with appropriate ice-breaker questions (i.e. "so what did you do before coming here?"  "where did you go to college?")

19 hours ago, Neist said:

I'm attending a recruitment event this weekend too...get there Sunday and leave Monday. It's going to be a whirlwind trip. I've not even been sent an agenda or transportation details yet (bought my ticket...but beyond showing up to the airport, no idea what will happen). So, hopefully I get that info soon. I don't like to be without details...waiting through February was hard enough. :)

19 hours ago, TMP said:

It's practically the norm.  People have turned to Google to answer their life questions.  Like, is this person going to suck or be awesome as my dissertation-writing partner?  Just do these things-- try not to compare yourself (you ALL got in and each have something to contribute!) and use the information wisely as a way of coming up with appropriate ice-breaker questions (i.e. "so what did you do before coming here?"  "where did you go to college?")

Good advice! I've never compared myself to others (probably because I'm exceptionally eccentric), but I'll definitely pre-think of some ice breaker questions. I might be spending a fair amount of time with these people, after all.

25 minutes ago, nevermind said:

I'm attending a recruitment event this weekend too...get there Sunday and leave Monday. It's going to be a whirlwind trip. I've not even been sent an agenda or transportation details yet (bought my ticket...but beyond showing up to the airport, no idea what will happen). So, hopefully I get that info soon. I don't like to be without details...waiting through February was hard enough. :)

Well, at least it'll be an adventure. :) I assume this is for USCD? 

28 minutes ago, Neist said:

Good advice! I've never compared myself to others (probably because I'm exceptionally eccentric), but I'll definitely pre-think of some ice breaker questions. I might be spending a fair amount of time with these people, after all.

Well, at least it'll be an adventure. :) I assume this is for USCD? 

YES. I really can't wait, partially because I've basically already committed (in my mind) to going there and this trip is just to make sure it has the right "vibe"...and partially because it'll be 70 degrees. I feel like I might get more information today, as they gave my my acceptance letter on a Tuesday, funding information last Tuesday...and today's another Tuesday. Who knows. :)