UT Austin English 2016

I was happy to see that UT Austin has begun notifying people about admissions decisions. If any of y'all have questions about the program, feel free to ask away. I'm a first year in the program and am absolutely loving it here in the English department. 

As I mentioned in another thread, I'm just finishing undergrad there myself and have strong relationships with a number of professors. While I don't know the ins and outs of the grad school experience (of course), I'm also willing to answer general questions about the department if need be (in addition to whatever info silenus can provide). 

5 hours ago, ‘Cat'erburyTales said:

I was curious whether either of you know what the stipend amount is for the TA ships at UT Austin? I can’t find it anywhere on their website for the life of me!

I'm a third year in the program, so no longer a TA, but I doubt that the number of around 15k has changed much in the last year. If you get summer funding your first year that varies. And I'm also willing to answer any questions you might have!  I'm deep in hermit mode due to my field exam, so I mostly live online these days. :)

9 hours ago, ‘Cat'erburyTales said:

I was curious whether either of you know what the stipend amount is for the TA ships at UT Austin? I can’t find it anywhere on their website for the life of me!

If you come in with a BA, the TAship will be about 13.5k (excluding summer funding, which you usually don't get for your first summer, though there are pursuable options); if you have an MA, it bumps up to about 14.5k. When you teach your own class starting year three, it bumps up to 16.5, I believe. 

Getting by in Austin on those stipends isn't easy, but it is doable, particularly if you choose not to live in Hyde Park (the neighborhood directly north of UT's campus, where many grad students live). It's commonly acknowledged around the department that our stipends are far too low -- a sentiment that many professors acknowledged at the visitation weekend last year -- and all of us are hoping that there's some movement towards getting them raised, as both of the above figures are well below the living wage in Austin of 27k/year.

38 minutes ago, cloudofunknowing said:

Coleman Hutchison is the Graduate Advisor as of the Spring semester; previously, Wayne Lesser served as the GA. 

I'm also a student currently reading for my field exam & happy to field questions. Cheers!

Thanks. It doesn't really make a difference at this point - just curious!

• 2 years later...

@silenus_thescribe @cloudofunknowing @dazedandbemused

Hope it's okay to revive this thread. I got into UT Austin's English PhD, and it's a great fit. I'm interested in early modern/Renaissance, with a focus on Milton Studies. John Rumrich is a perfect scholar to work with for my interests. The funding is good enough, and my fiancee likes the location. Also, re: my fiancee, she wants to continue to teach as an adjunct and it seems very likely that at UT she can do that. Also, Austin has been aggressive in its recruiting, with all the Renaissance profs reaching out, having conversations, and being exceedingly kind and welcoming. Feeling welcome and wanted has gone a long way for me in putting UT above the other two programs I got into.

The only hitch is, I got waitlisted at University of Virginia. It's not nearly as good of a fit (good Renaissance people but no one with a sharp Milton focus, certainly not like Rumrich), not as good of a location (though probably cheaper), and my fiancee isn't as into it. But--it's ranked higher. So, for you UT students, what would your advice be if I should get into UVA? I feel like I should go to Austin, but I don't want to sabotage my chances at a future as a professor. 

Edited by RK092089

5 minutes ago, RK092089 said:

I feel like I should go to Austin, but I don't want to sabotage my chances at a future as a professor. 

I didn't apply to UT-Austin, but as a fellow early modernist, I hear great things about it all the time. Rankings, from my understanding, are somewhat arbitrary, but even still, UT is within the top 20 for English grad programs. I hardly think you'd be sabotaging your career by going there! 

30 minutes ago, JustPoesieAlong said:

Rankings, from my understanding, are somewhat arbitrary,

Though I have nothing to contribute regarding the specific schools mentioned above, I would love a thread on the importance of actual rankings, and perceived rankings, and how much they should play into making decisions because I find myself in a somewhat similar predicament. Perhaps this already exists, but I will echo @JustPoesieAlong in saying that it is a really good question!  

1 hour ago, RK092089 said:

But--it's ranked higher.

Rankings probably don't matter much, but I think placement rates do. Have you looked closer into how each school compares in terms of placement rates (especially tenure track post-2011)? I personally think location should be a major factor, too--you should be happy wherever you spend the next 5-6 years of your life.

11 minutes ago, punctilious said:

Rankings probably don't matter much, but I think placement rates do. Have you looked closer into how each school compares in terms of placement rates (especially tenure track post-2011)? I personally think location should be a major factor, too--you should be happy wherever you spend the next 5-6 years of your life.

Great point. I have looked into this for Austin, which has the data on their site. They seem fairly strong in placement and job preparation. I’ve requested the data on UVA from the DGS, but it isn’t posted on their site. 

19 hours ago, RK092089 said:

@silenus_thescribe @cloudofunknowing @dazedandbemused

Hope it's okay to revive this thread. I got into UT Austin's English PhD, and it's a great fit. I'm interested in early modern/Renaissance, with a focus on Milton Studies. John Rumrich is a perfect scholar to work with for my interests. The funding is good enough, and my fiancee likes the location. Also, re: my fiancee, she wants to continue to teach as an adjunct and it seems very likely that at UT she can do that. Also, Austin has been aggressive in its recruiting, with all the Renaissance profs reaching out, having conversations, and being exceedingly kind and welcoming. Feeling welcome and wanted has gone a long way for me in putting UT above the other two programs I got into.

The only hitch is, I got waitlisted at University of Virginia. It's not nearly as good of a fit (good Renaissance people but no one with a sharp Milton focus, certainly not like Rumrich), not as good of a location (though probably cheaper), and my fiancee isn't as into it. But--it's ranked higher. So, for you UT students, what would your advice be if I should get into UVA? I feel like I should go to Austin, but I don't want to sabotage my chances at a future as a professor. 

Congrats to you and to all who got in to UT! Feel free to ask any questions, either in this thread or via DM. 

Couple of things to say here, although take all of the below lightly at this point, since I think your decision will be heavily informed by seeing whatever campuses you get invited to for recruitment weekends. Many of the comparisons you list do have an element of truth to them, but there's also that ineffable quality that comes from actually experiencing a university and the city that houses it.

With that said:

(1) It's interesting that you lead with "the funding is good enough," because the single most common complaint with our program is the funding, which while guaranteed has not caught up with the cost of living in Austin. By and large, most things aren't expensive -- lots to do on the cheap, drinks are cheap -- but the rent has really taken a hike. That said, since you have a partner, that should help offset the costs some. But do know that Austin may seem cheap by many metrics (no state income tax!), but on big ones like rent it has gotten more expensive. And for what it's worth, us grad students complain about funding all the time, but we have an extremely collegial department and we get along in spite of the financial hurdles you'd expect from being a grad student.

One other thing with funding and employment: I'm not sure what line of work your fiancee is in, but if she's in English or the humanities it is unlikely if not outright impossible to adjunct at UT. I know lots of people doing the adjunct life in town, and they're all doing it either at St. Edward's University or Austin Community College. UT is big enough and well-financed enough that tenured faculty cover most of the courseload, with renewable lecturerships filling up the rest, and those aren't available that often. 

(2) I cannot recommend the Renaissance faculty highly enough. Rumrich is indeed your guy if you're working on Milton; one of my good friends in the program is a Miltonist and works with him a lot. Doug Bruster and Eric Mallin are brilliant and unique Shakespearians in their own right. J.K. Barrett recently got a prestigious Huntington fellowship. You'd definitely be in great hands at UT, especially with a Milton focus. Another major Milton scholar, Stephen Dobranski, got his PhD at UT.

(3) To add to your observation about our placement record, which has been faring quite well in recent years given the state of the job market: our department has gotten a lot better about not treating "alt-ac" (not a great term, I know) with disdain. The job placement officers and departmental climate generally have not only been accepting of but encouraging of those individuals who realize that a tenure-track professor job isn't for them.

(4) With respect to UVa: I'm conflicted, because I love UT's program and recommend it highly to anyone who would benefit from the kind of research our department does. But your point about not finding any Miltonists of Rumrich's caliber at UVa: while that is a relevant consideration, you shouldn't tell yourself that you need one professor who does *exactly* what you do (or close enough for what you do) to have good space to do your own research. It might be that UVa has a faculty that you gel better with for whatever reason, and it could be that they're supportive of your Milton project that you'd find good space for it. For instance, when I was looking at departments during my application season, I found some faculty where there was one person who was PERFECT for me, and then no one else. In that circumstance, I'd rather have a broad sub-specialty faculty even if no one professor was working on stuff related to my project. Now, fortunately, UT does have more than one professor that would be useful to your research as you describe it, so based on your description alone UT is indeed the better fit. (And you should come here, of course, because it rules.) But I say this to keep in mind in case you get acceptances to other programs where there isn't a Rumrich but there is a strong Renaissance faculty.

(5) On rankings: UVa currently sits in the top 10 of the US News and World Report rankings, with UT on the lower end of the top 20. Both are excellent programs that have good reputations. Does the discrepancy matter? Ultimately, with top 20 programs, not that much. Not just because US News' ranking methodology is highly dubious at best, but also because once you're on the job market, what matters is your dissertation project and who's recommending you. Institutional rep does matter, but job committees aren't trolling the US News rankings when going through applicants. A former professor of mine who has worked at three R1s has said that the first thing they look at in job packets are the recommenders and then the writing sample. Additionally, the rankings reflect departments as a whole, but when you're going up for jobs people care about who you work with within your sub-specialty. I applied to top 20 programs ranked ahead of UT that had little or no faculty in my field, which would have handicapped me even if I had a marginal boost in institutional prestige (and, probably, funding).

Now, if you were choosing between a top 20 school and one ranked, like, 70, this would be an easier decision. But here, the operative question is this: where do you think you will get the most significant research done, the kind that will make a splash in your field and most allow you to speak to the subject you're most passionate about? From the sound of it, UT is that for you. Rank and prestige look nice on a CV, but they can't rescue a relatively unflashy dissertation if that's what you'd feel like you'd write absent a Rumrich. (FWIW, my closest friend in the program here went to UVa undergrad and said that if Milton is your subject, UT is the better faculty match.)

Frankly, what I would expect to weigh heavily on the UT/UVa decision, if it came to that, is the funding. While some costs are higher in Charlottesville than in Austin (including taxes), rent there is cheaper, and grad students there start at 26k/year, according to UVa's website, which is noticeably higher than UT's stipends. While I don't think money should be enough to sway a perfect/great research fit in the abstract, I also know how much it sucks living on grad student wages, and no one should be faulted for choosing better financial security.

I hope that answers your questions; if not, let me know and I'd be happy to elaborate. Being in UT's program is one of the best things to ever happen in my life, and I'm always happy to spread the word about it. 

Hi @silenus_thescribe! Thanks for this wonderful information. I also received an offer from UT Austin. I'm really excited, but I have a BUNCH of questions. 

1) Can you talk a little bit about your TA experience? Is it 1/1 or 2/2 your first and second year? If you are in British lit, will you be assigned to British lit? How are you assigned?

2) What is the dress code for the recruitment days? I'm terrified I'm going to show up underdressed. 

3) Can you talk about class selection? I've been looking through the course catalogue a bit. Have you always felt like there were engaging classes to take? 

4) Does everyone get approximately the same financial offer? I keep hearing about how expensive Austin is. 

5) Are the faculty open-minded to highly experimental research? 

6) Are the cohorts usually engaged and social outside of the classroom?

I have other offers, but I plan to accept this one. Thanks for talking me through my pre-recruitment jitters. I hope I'm what they expect when I show up. I really hate Lacan... so I'm not going to wow anyone with that.

@silenus_thescribe

Thank you for your thorough response. I agree that, aside from funding, UT is the clear choice. Your points are well-taken, though, and I'll continue to mull it over.

One point about funding: I've been living on pretty low income in Brooklyn, which is expensive, for a while, so that's one reason why I say the funding is good enough.

Edited by RK092089

2 hours ago, UTQT said:

Hi @silenus_thescribe! Thanks for this wonderful information. I also received an offer from UT Austin. I'm really excited, but I have a BUNCH of questions. 

1) Can you talk a little bit about your TA experience? Is it 1/1 or 2/2 your first and second year? If you are in British lit, will you be assigned to British lit? How are you assigned?

2) What is the dress code for the recruitment days? I'm terrified I'm going to show up underdressed. 

3) Can you talk about class selection? I've been looking through the course catalogue a bit. Have you always felt like there were engaging classes to take? 

4) Does everyone get approximately the same financial offer? I keep hearing about how expensive Austin is. 

5) Are the faculty open-minded to highly experimental research? 

6) Are the cohorts usually engaged and social outside of the classroom?

I have other offers, but I plan to accept this one. Thanks for talking me through my pre-recruitment jitters. I hope I'm what they expect when I show up. I really hate Lacan... so I'm not going to wow anyone with that.

1. If you're coming in with an MA, you might TA for one year, but if your MA came with teaching experience you might start teaching intro-level rhetoric and composition. If you're coming in with a BA, you TA for a large lecture class in either American, Brit, or World lit. You get two groups of 25 students once a week each for a discussion section lasting 50 minutes, so I suppose you might call it a "2/2" but it feels more like a 1/1 since in terms of hours in the classroom you're only spending an hour and forty minutes per week. You get a chance to rank your preferences before each semester that you TA, and typically I've got to TA for one of the top three options I rank. Those assignments are made based more on time (i.e. when your seminars are) and availability rather than what your own field is. Typically, you TA at least one Brit and American class each, in my experience (I did a full year of both). World Lit has pronouncedly lower enrollment than American or Brit, so if there's lots of demand for that class it's less likely you'll get it.

2. No dress code, but from what I remember from my own year and the years succeeding, it ranged from business casual to standard business dress. Basically, don't dress *too* down, but don't feel like you need to bust out a suit or anything like that.

3. I might be the wrong person to ask about this, because for some reason I arrived at a time where I had plenty of coursework in my field (modern/contemporary drama). For my two coursework years I had at least one drama class per semester, usually two (though half of those were Renaissance/Shakespeare classes). I know some of my friends who study 18th century lit have a harder time finding classes and will go out of department on occasion. Generally speaking, though, UT recruits based on the strengths of its professoriate, so my general feeling is that you won't have a hard time finding interesting classes. I didn't have a dud in my whole coursework period.

4. As I said in my response to @RK092089: if rents were lower in Austin, I would say it's a completely affordable city. Not much else is expensive when compared to other cities like it, and if you're able to get on a good bus corridor to campus (or live in a neighborhood with a UT shuttle), you ride the bus for free as a UT student, so it's easy to spend little on transport. As for the funding, yes, it is quite egalitarian; even inter-departmental jobs that are competitive and sometimes come with teaching relief pay the same as the stipend you make when you're teaching as an instructor of record. 

5. Depends on what you mean by "highly experimental," I suppose, but my general statement here is that everyone I am friends with in the program doesn't have issue with their advisors pushing back on their research agendas. When I have heard cases of advisors and their advisees butting heads, which is few and far between, it's not usually because of the "experimental" nature of the advisee's work. 

6. I could write a whole tome on this, but the answer is YES, and it's one of the biggest reasons why I'm happy I chose UT. Everyone was super collegial at the recruitment weekend, and that atmosphere remained in place when I arrived at UT to start my PhD. You'll hear people talk about "collegiality" in our department, and it's not just a buzzword.

@silenus_thescribe Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions! You have no idea now grateful I am. Your comments are so helpful. 

I'm so excited to hear that the cohorts are social and that there is a strong sense of community. This is so important to me. I'm also happy to hear that the faculty are receptive to different research agendas. Thank you for the wardrobe advice. I'll happily skip the suit!

My pre-visit jitters have been cured. 

I can't add much to silenus' great advice, other than to reinforce how expensive rent can be. I'm a 5th year and when I first moved here my apartment was 575; that same apartment is now renting for 925. There are still some great gems left, but it's definitely an extra stressor.

It's also totally true that collegiality is important in the department. My cohort and the cohort ahead of us (affectionately-ish called the brohort) have spent tons of time together over the years and I think most people have ease finding a good group of friends to bitch and moan with. There have also been a number of programmatic changes in the last two years that IMO will only improve the grad experience.

Good luck choosing! I came here specifically for my diss advisor and she has been everything I hoped and more.

@silenus_thescribe @dazedandbemused Sounds like the program is great, but the rent is high. Noted. Do people find lower rents somewhat further away from campus, particularly if they have a car? I'm aware of the UT shuttle and its range, but what about other forms of public transportation? If you live a bit out of the shuttle's range, are you able to get to campus without a car with relative ease? 

Other, random questions: How's the health insurance? It looks pretty good, aside from a not inexpensive deductible. Also, I noticed UT is a campus carry school. How does that play out, if at all, in your experience on campus? 

Also, how are the working conditions for TAs? I've been an adjunct at my MFA school for the past two years, and the work is great but the conditions are awful. We have extremely limited access to printing/copying. The department office and administrators are rude and unhelpful. Over a hundred adjuncts share one, medium-sized office. 

Finally, how do you find the experience of navigating the UT bureaucracy? My MFA is at a large, multi-campus university system, sort of like UT, and the bureaucracy is a nightmare. Our online interface for grades, financial aid, etc., sucks, and, when dealing with actual offices, it is very frustrating to try to do simple things like get a paycheck or make a key.