Contacting Admissions

Nat_Foot

54 minutes ago, Nat_Foot said:

Sorry all, the past few days have been busier than expected. 

Tomorrow's list:

1. Stanford
  2. UCLA
  3. Notre Dame 

It's early enough PST that I might be able to get in touch with Stanford & UCLA tonight. I'll let you all know. 

EDIT: Couldn't get in touch with Stanford via phone. Will try email now. Talked to someone at UCLA and was told to email the grad advisor, which I did. Will get back to you as soon as I hear something.

Uninformative update from McGill: Offers of admission start going out in mid to late March. Graduate students are selected for admission by the graduate committee based off of the strength of their application file.

(The second sentence was presumably in response to my question as to whether they admit internationals.)

If there are other schools you want me to contact tomorrow, let me know. (And hopefully, MIT contacts us tomorrow!)

Out of upvotes. Thanks Nat! 

1 hour ago, Nat_Foot said:

Tomorrow's list:

1. Stanford
  2. UCLA
  3. Notre Dame 

It's early enough PST that I might be able to get in touch with Stanford & UCLA tonight. I'll let you all know. 

EDIT: Couldn't get in touch with Stanford via phone. Will try email now. Talked to someone at UCLA and was told to email the grad advisor, which I did. Will get back to you as soon as I hear something.

Uninformative update from McGill: Offers of admission start going out in mid to late March. Graduate students are selected for admission by the graduate committee based off of the strength of their application file.

(The second sentence was presumably in response to my question as to whether they admit internationals.)

If there are other schools you want me to contact tomorrow, let me know. (And hopefully, MIT contacts us tomorrow!)

Thanks so much for this, Nat!! Been hoping anxiously for news from all three of these, so I'll be very interested! 

1 hour ago, Nat_Foot said:

Hey Nat, thanks so much for checking! 

Ugh, the waiting is killing me..

2 hours ago, Nat_Foot said:

Tomorrow's list:

1. Stanford
  2. UCLA
  3. Notre Dame 

Thanks for doing this! Anxious to hear about Notre Dame.

4 hours ago, Abendstern said:

Yeah, I went for it to, but don't expect anything to come of it. If you don't mind my asking, why didn't you apply to some of the top PhD programs here stateside? You clearly have competitive stats.

Honestly, two reasons: 1. I was led to believe the GRE was a bigger deal than it apparently is, and I did not do well on the quant side. 2. I honestly just aimed a bit lower, relatively, because I didn't actually get an undergraduate degree in philosophy. I ended up trying to "catch up" on a grad level, and now have 36 phil hours on my transcript. I'm married and we're expecting a baby within the next two weeks(!), so with it all going on, I don't know that I was able to put my best foot forward in all of my apps. I hope you get in to some programs that you want; I myself would be happy with one, but absolutely thrilled to have a choice! :)

1 minute ago, oldmanPhDStudent said:

Honestly, two reasons: 1. I was led to believe the GRE was a bigger deal than it apparently is, and I did not do well on the quant side. 2. I honestly just aimed a bit lower, relatively, because I didn't actually get an undergraduate degree in philosophy. I ended up trying to "catch up" on a grad level, and now have 36 phil hours on my transcript. I'm married and we're expecting a baby within the next two weeks(!), so with it all going on, I don't know that I was able to put my best foot forward in all of my apps. I hope you get in to some programs that you want; I myself would be happy with one, but absolutely thrilled to have a choice! :)

woahhh, congrats on the baby! :D 

1 minute ago, philosophe said:

woahhh, congrats on the baby! :D 

Thanks so much! I found a onesie that I'm going to put on him that says "World's Greatest Philosopher*" with small print reading "*Depending on your definition of 'world,' 'greatest,' and 'philosopher.'" I can't wait! :)

Stanford: "We don't have a set date when we plan to have decisions, it will happen when it happens. I expect (hope) we will have decisions in the next few weeks or so."

Ughhh these are becoming increasingly less informative. I'm sorry, all! 

18 hours ago, Nat_Foot said:

Stanford: "We don't have a set date when we plan to have decisions, it will happen when it happens. I expect (hope) we will have decisions in the next few weeks or so."

Ughhh these are becoming increasingly less informative. I'm sorry, all! 

Thank you so much for doing this.

Best of luck to all of you !

Hey @Nat_Foot, I thought it was kind of weird that all of the accepts on the results pg for brown are international students. Any chance you could investigate further to see if they for some reason released acceptances for international students but haven't yet for domestic students? ... Or if I'm just reading into this too much and they just happened to accept a ton of international students this year?

Oh wow, you're right. That'd odd. I'll try to find more about it tomorrow. The secretary did say last week that they'd be mailed out. I said, "Oh, they're being mailed?" And she said, "yes." If they really are mailing out the rest of the acceptances, that would explains why students studying in the US haven't heard anything yet. But I'll try to find out more tomorrow 

1 hour ago, oldhatnewtricks said:

What about UNC? It's been 8 days since anything went out, and I haven't heard a peep.

yeah, I"m surprised, they're normally very quick with their rejections. there's another poster on here currently at UNC who said all of their offers have gone out. 

6 minutes ago, oldhatnewtricks said:

Are you serious? That's just like an actual attempt at torturing applicants :P 

6 minutes ago, philosophe said:

jesus christ, now THAT is torture. 

More like a week or two, but yeah. They seem to really spread out 

Just emailed BC to try and get some clarity on where they are with repsonses... So far it looks like the only people who have heard have been the fellowship recipient and @MVSCZAR (incidentally, by email??)... I'll let you guys know what I hear!