Contacting Admissions

Nat_Foot

Indiana: Not all acceptances have come out; they're still processing them. 

Berkeley: Berkeley still has not been informative. The answer is "the first week of March." I asked about the fact that a lot of acceptances and waitlists have already come out, and I was wondering whether only rejections are left. She claimed they weren't done and reiterated: "the first week of March." So, it sounds like no progress will be made on the Berkeley front. I'm not sure if I believe her, but if you want to hold on to some hope... 

USC: I asked when acceptances are coming out. The secretary had a (somewhat lengthy) discussion with a philosophy professor (I overheard some of it), and eventually the answer became "within the coming week," though initially it was "within 2 weeks." I'm not sure if that means by the end of this week or by next Tuesday, but hopefully, it's the former. 

Are we confident that all rejections have been released? It seems to me that's plausible, but another was just posted today. I could try to find out about that, but I'd probably need to contact the DGS directly for that one. 

Alright, that's 1 through 4 off the list for today (recall the Brown edit).

1. Indiana (2/16)
  2. Berkeley (2/16) 
  3. USC (2/16)
  4. Brown (2/19)

That leaves:
7. Riverside
10. U Chicago Committee on Social Thought
12. Arizona
13. Boston College
14. Duke

Edited by Nat_Foot

6 minutes ago, Nat_Foot said:

Berkeley: Berkeley still has not been informative. The answer is "the first week of March." I asked about the fact that a lot of acceptances and waitlists have already come out, and I was wondering whether only rejections are left. She claimed they weren't done and reiterated: "the first week of March." So, it sounds like no progress will be made on the Berkeley front. I'm not sure if I believe her, but if you want to hold on to some hope... 

USC: I asked when acceptances are coming out. The secretary had a (somewhat lengthy) discussion with a philosophy professor (I overheard some of it), and eventually the answer became "within the coming week," though initially it was "within 2 weeks." I'm not sure if that means by the end of this week or by next Tuesday, but hopefully, it's the former. 

Are we confident that all rejections have been released? It seems to me that's plausible, but another was just posted today. I could try to find out about that, but I'm probably need to contact the DGS directly for that one. 

1. Indiana (2/16)
  2. Berkeley (2/16) 
  3. USC (2/16)
  4. Brown (2/19)

That leaves:
7. Riverside
12. Arizona
13. Boston College
14. Duke

thanks so much for doing this!

3 minutes ago, Nat_Foot said:

Are we confident that all rejections have been released? It seems to me that's plausible, but another was just posted today. I could try to find out about that, but I'm probably need to contact the DGS directly for that one. 

1. Indiana (2/16)
  2. Berkeley (2/16) 
  3. USC (2/16)
  4. Brown (2/19)

That leaves:
7. Riverside
12. Arizona
13. Boston
14. Duke

Thanks so much for doing this, Nat. :)

As for USC rejections: I don't think this latest one is cause to think they haven't all gone out yet. The website had my rejection up Sunday morning, but I only just now got the email telling me to check the website. So I think the latest post is probably someone already rejected who didn't check until they got the email.

1 minute ago, philstudent1992 said:

Thanks so much for doing this, Nat. :)

As for USC rejections: I don't think this latest one is cause to think they haven't all gone out yet. The website had my rejection up Sunday morning, but I only just now got the email telling me to check the website. So I think the latest post is probably someone already rejected who didn't check until they got the email.

No problem :) And that's just what I was thinking.

56 minutes ago, Nat_Foot said:

Are we confident that all rejections have been released? It seems to me that's plausible, but another was just posted today. I could try to find out about that, but I'd probably need to contact the DGS directly for that one. 

1. Indiana (2/16)
  2. Berkeley (2/16) 
  3. USC (2/16)
  4. Brown (2/19)

That leaves:
7. Riverside
12. Arizona
13. Boston College
14. Duke

Thank you so much. Do you know if Vanderbilt has sent all their offers?

Riverside: no information when I called. I emailed the graduate administrator. Will get back to you if he has any info. 

Quick question about U Arizona. It seems like, based on previous patterns, after acceptances and wait lists have gone out, then you can assume you've been rejected. Is there any reason to believe otherwise? I have no problem calling Arizona in particular, but I think that the general policy for schools in cases like this should be not calling because (1) it seems safe to assume rejection, and (2) even if someone calls, it's extremely unlikely that they'll tell you that all acceptances went out or that you can assume rejection. At least one reason has already been offered for this: they want to leave some students in a "no-status" pile in case accepted students decline their offers. 

Edited by Nat_Foot

@oldhatnewtricks I just looked up more info on Duke before calling them. Yes, they are just that slow at rejecting (so are Berkeley and Arizona), according to the results page. They sent out acceptances on Jan 27 but rejections on Feb 18. Sorry to be a downer :/. 

Committee on Social Thought: Couldn't get in touch with them over phone. Emailed them. 

Boston College: Not all acceptances have been sent out.

@Abendstern OK, yeah I see that from 2014 now. I'll give them a call. 

Just now, Nat_Foot said:

@oldhatnewtricks I just looked up more info on Duke before calling them. Yes, they are just that slow at rejecting (so are Berkeley and Arizona), according to the results page. They sent out acceptances on Jan 27 but rejections on Feb 18. Sorry to be a downer :/. 

Committee on Social Thought: Couldn't get in touch with them over phone. Emailed them. 

Boston College: THANK GOD. no more info on when/how? snail mail...

Just now, brekekexkoax said:

Boston College: THANK GOD. no more info on when/how? snail mail...

Judging from past years, snail mail. No, no more info: secretaries are not generally in the loop as to what is going on with the admissions decisions. I'd have to email the DGS for that info. 

1 minute ago, Nat_Foot said:

Judging from past years, snail mail. No, no more info: secretaries are not generally in the loop as to what is going on with the admissions decisions. I'd have to email the DGS for that info. 

no need for that-- thank you SO much for doing this at all :) just brightened my day a bit. stupid snail mail though.

1 minute ago, Nat_Foot said:

Arizona: "Acceptances aren't done. Usually we send out offers to our first choices and then go from there. We're just waiting to hear back from them first." 

Do you think a similar thing could be happening for Carnegie Mellon? 3 acceptances posted last week but nothing else.

Just now, brekekexkoax said:

no need for that-- thank you SO much for doing this at all :) just brightened my day a bit. stupid snail mail though.

No problem! I know -- who does that nowadays? 

I think I'm done with calls/emails for the day. If you have places you'd like me to call tomorrow or later this week, let me know.  

Note that I called U Pitt earlier to find out if they'll be going to a waitlist soon. The secretary had no information for me and said that she knows nothing about the process. 

18 minutes ago, Nat_Foot said:

Arizona: "Acceptances aren't done. Usually we send out offers to our first choices and then go from there. We're just waiting to hear back from them first." 

Time to go yell at the classmate who got in but considers it his lowest choice to fucking withdraw already, then!

17 minutes ago, bravesball said:

Do you think a similar thing could be happening for Carnegie Mellon? 3 acceptances posted last week but nothing else.

Not sure, but it's possible. It seems like a few other schools are doing this. 

2 minutes ago, Abendstern said:

Thanks so much for calling. This is exactly what I was hoping to hear. I feel like the rational course of action would be to leave this forum until around mid-March. Whether this second-order desire will prevail is doubtful.

No problem. Yes, I'd love to take a break for about two weeks and come back to an inbox full of decision letters, hopefully with some bearing good news. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem like it's going to happen right now. 

25 minutes ago, brekekexkoax said:

Ditto! @Nat_Foot, you are my personal hero. This is thankless, tedious work, and I can't tell you how much we all appreciate it.

44 minutes ago, Nat_Foot said:

No biggie! Thanks a bunch! :) 

45 minutes ago, AnotherKantFan said:

Brown?:)

So, I was going to hold off on Brown until the end of the week (someone claimed the first acceptance), but it has been a few days since the predicted date. 

Acceptances will be MAILED OUT by the end of the week. Sigh -- snail mail again?