Question

Based on your experience, or what you have heard from colleagues please share your input on my chances of getting into Teachers College, Columbia University with a 3.1 GPA. My GPA decreased tremendously during my last year of college due to a death in my family. Nevertheless, I have a pretty good resume because I have worked throughout college in areas of student development, and I was pretty involved on campus. I also currently work full-time. 

I was was wondering if anyone with a 3.3 or less GPA have been admitted to Columbia. If so, can you share a few pointers? Thanks! 

1 answer to this question

On February 16, 2016 at 10:01 PM, marim said:

Based on your experience, or what you have heard from colleagues please share your input on my chances of getting into Teachers College, Columbia University with a 3.1 GPA. My GPA decreased tremendously during my last year of college due to a death in my family. Nevertheless, I have a pretty good resume because I have worked throughout college in areas of student development, and I was pretty involved on campus. I also currently work full-time. 

I was was wondering if anyone with a 3.3 or less GPA have been admitted to Columbia. If so, can you share a few pointers? Thanks! 

Hey! I think it all depends on the program and the "whole package."  TC has over 100 programs and some are more competitive than others--also, some years the applicant pool is more competitve pool than others.  

The good news is that I know TC looks at the entire application and even though you're weak in one area, you can lift up your application with the other factors--GRE scores, work experience, LOR and overall research "fit" with faculty.  I think that if the other factors are strong then you still have a shot! 

I applied to TC (still waiting to hear back) with a less than stellar undergrad GPA, but my grad school GPA is nearly a 4.0 and I have good work experience, LOR, GRE scores and fit with two of the faculty members.  I've been invited in for an interview, so I hope that's a good sign! Before I applied I went to an open house and spoke to an admissions rep.  I gave him all my qualifications and asked him the same thing you're asking now--do I have a shot? and he said to apply. 

No way to know until you try it :) Good Luck!