2017 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Dank

23 hours ago, bkim346 said:

Unfortunately, not. The closest person I have is the veterinarian who also conducts her own research and publishes, but is still technically not a PI.

I realized a little too late that I should try and work with more than one lab. But I was able to get the publications out for working long in one lab at least. 

I don't think that's the issue.  I think a DVM-PhD might be an interesting LoR, especially if you've worked closely with her for a long-term project.  If this is not the case, then maybe you need to take 2 years to be a lab assistant and get another strong letter.  If you really are set on applying to the schools you've listed, I think you may be in for some disappointment this time around.  Maybe be a bit more realistic about the programs you've chosen based on the fact that you have a quite low GPA and have one sustained research experience.  Your publishing will be a huge plus, but not enough to counteract the other deficiencies at the schools you've chosen.

On 10/5/2016 at 3:17 AM, jasss_ said:

Hello! Feedback appreciated. Thanks.

Undergrad Institution: Top public school
Major(s):  Biochemistry
Minor(s):  Math
GPA in Major:  3.86
Overall GPA:  3.89
Position in Class: High
Type of Student: Domestic female

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 170
V:  169
W:  4.0
B:  

Research Experience:

2years in a biochemistry lab at school, focus on NMR and then modeling of biochem pathways. Small lab, no publications produced. PI will write rec

Summer work in a biophysics lab at BU medical school. NMR focus. PI will write rec

leader of iGEM (genetic engineering competition) research group at my school this past summer. Will culminate in a synthetic biology conference in october. again, advisor will write rec.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: 

Dean's list, intermediate honors (top 20%), phi eta sigma honor society 

Pertinent Activities or Jobs

iGEM project leader, peer advisor to freshmen, TA for general chemistry lab for a semester.

Special Bonus Points: 

My recommenders all are enthusiastic about writing letters. One of them has told me that i could 'get in anywhere i wanted' although I am hesitant to believe that - would like to get an outside opinion!

I know I have strong GPA+GRE, but my question is whether or not my research experiences are strong enough?

Applying to Where: 

Here comes my very long preliminary list.. Definitely have a lot of top/"big name" programs here, my issue is finding more targets. One criteria i am dedicated to is location: East coast or west coast. Other criteria i am slightly more flexible on. 

• Harvard bbs
  • MIT biology
  • UCLA biochem
  • Scripps
  • Cornell Weill
  • UCSF BMS
  • Stanford biochem
  • UC Berkeley biochem
  • UC Davis BMCD
  • UCSD biological sciences
  • Tufts BMCD
  • Others i'm considering: rockefeller, mt. sinai, upenn, columbia, uc irvine, yale, johns hopkins

I know this is too many schools so I would appreciate advice on how to narrow it down! 

I would suggest doing a masters in neuroscience. First it would almost certainly increase your GPA and doing a masters project should allow you to get some very good LoR and show dedication to the field. My GPA and GRE was better than yours, but think 3.3/3.5 and I had a lot of let downs. I did a masters and because of the connections I made, and the research I did I was actually approached by one of the top PIs in my field to join his lab for a PhD. 

56 minutes ago, VirologyPhDinTraining said:

I would suggest doing a masters in neuroscience. First it would almost certainly increase your GPA and doing a masters project should allow you to get some very good LoR and show dedication to the field. My GPA and GRE was better than yours, but think 3.3/3.5 and I had a lot of let downs. I did a masters and because of the connections I made, and the research I did I was actually approached by one of the top PIs in my field to join his lab for a PhD. 

I think you quoted the wrong person lol 

Where will you be doing your PhD now? I thought you were applying this cycle

Edited by Bioenchilada

8 hours ago, Bioenchilada said:

I think you quoted the wrong person lol 

Where will you be doing your PhD now? I thought you were applying this cycle

Yes, quoted the wrong person. My laptop, unlike my PC, lags even using chrome browser. Apparently I miss clicked. Right now I won't say in public, though, in my area of virology I am with the top person in my field at the university he just moved to. If you really want to know I am more than willing to share in PM.

30 minutes ago, VirologyPhDinTraining said:

Yes, quoted the wrong person. My laptop, unlike my PC, lags even using chrome browser. Apparently I miss clicked. Right now I won't say in public, though, in my area of virology I am with the top person in my field at the university he just moved to. If you really want to know I am more than willing to share in PM.

Just curious, why won't you say your institution in "public"?

14 hours ago, biochemgirl67 said:

I don't think that's the issue.  I think a DVM-PhD might be an interesting LoR, especially if you've worked closely with her for a long-term project.  If this is not the case, then maybe you need to take 2 years to be a lab assistant and get another strong letter.  If you really are set on applying to the schools you've listed, I think you may be in for some disappointment this time around.  Maybe be a bit more realistic about the programs you've chosen based on the fact that you have a quite low GPA and have one sustained research experience.  Your publishing will be a huge plus, but not enough to counteract the other deficiencies at the schools you've chosen.

Thank you for your thoughts! And I've worked with her for a long time, so I expect a very strong letter.

This is, of course, a long shot, but what do you suggest I do at this point to strengthen my app? Even if it meant I apply again the next admission cycle?

I've seen admission stats where people with GPAs of 2.67 - 3.9 being admitted to top schools and I was thinking maybe the publications will be able to show that I am able to conduct research and follow through well and help me get through. 

6 hours ago, bkim346 said:

Thank you for your thoughts! And I've worked with her for a long time, so I expect a very strong letter.

This is, of course, a long shot, but what do you suggest I do at this point to strengthen my app? Even if it meant I apply again the next admission cycle?

I've seen admission stats where people with GPAs of 2.67 - 3.9 being admitted to top schools and I was thinking maybe the publications will be able to show that I am able to conduct research and follow through well and help me get through. 

Did you see those stats here? The thing about GPA is that it tells you nothing about your ability to do research, or the amount of connections someone has. So, that person with a 2.67 could be a Stanford legacy with 4 years of experience, or just someone that had letters from 3 Nobel laureates, you'll never know. I'm not by any means discouraging you from applying, but I've seen people with 4.0s and high GREs literally get rejected across the board because their SOP was weakened due to a lack of diverse experience, which also has an impact on LOR "quality". 

I think you have nothing to lose by applying, so might as well do so to see how it goes. At the same time, I suggest NOT lowering your standards when it comes to picking schools, unless you truly want to go to that particular places. "Safeties" are more of an undergrad thing, and applying to a low tier school you have no interest in could definitely lead to a rejection. 

I also suggest applying to postbac programs or maybe even lab tech jobs later in the game to increase your chances for next year, if you don't get in. I'm confident that you can, at the very least , land a 1/2-year tech position at a top 5 school. :) 

Edited by Bioenchilada

8 hours ago, bkim346 said:

I would ask a faculty member that knows you well that is not connected to the vet for their input before going forward, but I think it's an interesting letter.

If you're looking to strengthen your app, go to a post-bacc program.  @Bioenchilada and I never disagree so this comes as no surprise.  But in order to get a really strong letter and overcome the deficiencies in your profile currently, you might need to do it for 2 years (if that's eve possible with that type of program).  Because if you apply next cycle, you will only have ~3-5 months in that person's lab.

The stats thing is... difficult.  Unless you went to a top-tier undergrad AND published in high impact journals (Science/Nature/Neuron/Cell), publications won't make up for everything.  This is what Bioenchilada was saying.  Those people who overcame their 2.8 - 3.3 GPAs have a lot of diverse experience, maybe worked in industry for a bit, got a master's, worked in high powered labs as a lab assistant to work their way into publishing on a project, and/or also got published.  GPA is a component and a consideration in this process because grad school is academic AND scientific, so adcoms are trying to make sure that the people they choose have a high probability of lasting through the entire program.

So if you want to go to grad school at those specific schools, then you're going to have to wait at least a year.  But you could look into some other programs that have really good research going on and are not in the tippy top tier of schools.  I'm not suggesting you lower your standards, but take a good hard look at you and your profile and choose schools that fit you right now, not the person you wish you were.  Grad school is not easy and top programs come with extremely high expectations.  I'm just saying that given your profile and your high level of success in science as opposed to academic courses, you might be super successful in a program that has less difficult classes.  Because as a spoiler, balancing between the high expectations in coursework (which later this year determine training grants at least here) and also in lab is incredibly difficult.  But you know you best, and if you feel that you weren't trying your best in the coursework in undergrad or you had other circumstances, then take a couple years and apply to those schools.  You could also apply this year and see what happens.  Just also consider looking at other schools who routinely do important and interesting research in your field but also maybe aren't the top schools in the country.

Edited by biochemgirl67

10 hours ago, VirologyPhDinTraining said:

I'd like to point out to all the impressionable applying students, especially those coming straight out of undergrad, that "top person" is so subjective.  It's in flux and it's not a real thing.  Don't choose schools/programs based on a PI (not saying VirologyPhDinTraining did, just that someone with a master's is more focused/mature in their training and therefore more successful in making those kinds of decisions) because there are so many things that they don't tell you in undergrad.  How do you like to be mentored as a growing scientist?  90% of you don't know (and you shouldn't!) and will find out during rotations.  What do you want to study?  So many of you think you know (I did and now I'm kinda falling in love with viruses) and end up in something else.  Do you want to work in an established lab or a new one or something in between?  Do you want your PI to foster a sense of community by trips to bars and parties or do you want someone who is more hands-off?  Do you want your PI to jump in and train you or do you feel more comfortable doing that with a senior lab member?

For someone who has not been in grad school before, fame of the PI should be last on your mind.  If you already have a graduate degree, chances are you have your life a little more figured out and can make a decision like that and not regret it, just because you're more informed.  But younglings, keep in mind that fame does not equal grad student success.  It doesn't negate it, but there are a lot of ways to be successful in grad school, and it's not always by going to the top school/program and working with the "top" PI in the field.  Choose a school/program where you fit in and a PI that will be a good mentor.  Don't make decisions on fame and prestige if you barely have any experience in the field.  And I know, it feels like you have a lot when you've worked in a lab for 2+ years, but do yourself a favor and give yourself as many options as possible because you might just want them in about a year from now.

Edited by biochemgirl67

@bkim346 I would apply broadly this year and maybe include a few post-bacc applications. 

The real question: are you willing to settle? You have your eyes set on top tier schools, but will you be happy at a second tier school? It gets difficult at this point. 

Example: Let's say you apply to five schools and a post-bacc. The five schools are two top tiers, two second tiers, and a smaller school that might be considered a safety. You are offered a position at one of the second tier schools, the smaller school, and a post-bacc. Will you choose the second tier school or even the smaller school over the post-bacc? If you choose the second tier school or the smaller school, you are in a PhD program and on your way to a career. If you choose a post-bacc, your time might put you in the running for a top tier position, or nothing will change and you will be two years behind in a PhD program. 

A post-bacc should either be an opportunity to decide if a PhD is what you want to do or a holding pattern after an unsuccessful application cycle. I would not use a post-bacc as a way to get into a "better" program. 

If you are certain you want to do a PhD, apply broadly to only schools at which you can see yourself spending five or so years. Then matriculate wherever you are admitted. Don't waste time under the assumption that a post-bacc automatically guarantees a position at a top program. 

31 minutes ago, blc073 said:

@bkim346 I would apply broadly this year and maybe include a few post-bacc applications. 

The real question: are you willing to settle? You have your eyes set on top tier schools, but will you be happy at a second tier school? It gets difficult at this point. 

Example: Let's say you apply to five schools and a post-bacc. The five schools are two top tiers, two second tiers, and a smaller school that might be considered a safety. You are offered a position at one of the second tier schools, the smaller school, and a post-bacc. Will you choose the second tier school or even the smaller school over the post-bacc? If you choose the second tier school or the smaller school, you are in a PhD program and on your way to a career. If you choose a post-bacc, your time might put you in the running for a top tier position, or nothing will change and you will be two years behind in a PhD program. 

A post-bacc should either be an opportunity to decide if a PhD is what you want to do or a holding pattern after an unsuccessful application cycle. I would not use a post-bacc as a way to get into a "better" program. 

If you are certain you want to do a PhD, apply broadly to only schools at which you can see yourself spending five or so years. Then matriculate wherever you are admitted. Don't waste time under the assumption that a post-bacc automatically guarantees a position at a top program. 

@bkim346 If you view anything under the top schools you've chosen as "settling" for your PhD, go get your master's or spend some time in industry.  Those are your 2 best ways to try and catapult yourself into a top tier school with limited diversity of experience and lower academic qualifications.  If, however, you could see yourself being happy at different types of schools, you will be well-positioned to apply broadly and attend the best fitting program, regardless of prestige.  Basically all we are saying is only you know your priorities.  Personally, I would apply broadly and have a back-up plan if I didn't like any of the schools (probably a post-bacc or actually apply to a few master's programs) and try to be really flexible.  But I know people who wanted to top named programs, and so that's where they focused.  My friends got in because they had amazing stats and amazing experiences, but on here some people fail to get in to one or all of the schools they've applied to because they shot to high for themselves with their profile at the time.

Edited by biochemgirl67

16 minutes ago, biochemgirl67 said:

If you view anything under the top schools you've chosen as "settling" for your PhD, go get your master's or spend some time in industry.  

I fundamentally disagree with this, and this quote is completely antithetical to the rest of your comment. 

The advice here is to realistically evaluate oneself, then apply to a variety of schools within a realistic framework, i.e., if an individual has a below average GPA and less than average experience, that individual should not apply to eight top tier programs and one second tier. Settling here is simply appreciating a situation and pursuing a path that will lead to the best graduate school experience without wasting time. 

On 5/16/2016 at 3:37 PM, somino42 said:

Undergrad Institution: Big 10 Public School - great reputation in research and bio
Major(s): Biology - Emphasis in Neuroscience
Minor(s): -
GPA in Major: 
Overall GPA:3.21
Position in Class: -
Type of Student: Domestic White Female

Q: 165
V: 168
W: 5
B: Above 85th percentile, should be fine?

Research Experience:

2 years in undergrad working in an epigenetics lab.  Lab wasn't very productive, but learned a lot of wet lab skills.  

(Main lab)1.5 years in undergrad + 3 years post-bacc working in a lab doing electrophysiology (tons of optogenetics) in mice.  3 papers, 2 second author (one at a very high impact journal), 1 first author, 2 posters at conferences

1.5 years in undergrad + 2 years post-bacc working part time in another lab doing TMS/EEG on human subjects.  1 paper, middle author

In sum, around 6 years of consistent research (3 years undergrad, 3 years post-grad)

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Made Dean's List final two semesters, although this probably doesn't amount to much

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Neuroscience outreach through graduate program on campus

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Huge turnover after a year being an RA in my big lab of all postdocs.  Ended up training most of the new postdocs in mouse surgeries and experimental procedures.  Basically functioned as a graduate student for my three years of being in the lab after graduating.  I won't mention this on my app, but I think it will give me an edge of confidence (without being cocky of course!) 

Special Bonus Points: Took grad level neuroscience courses through undergrad, and took two semesters of grad level intro neuroscience courses after graduating (got an A in both).  3 very strong LORs with extremely well connected PIs, one is an absolute top dog in the field I am in currently.  Very strong connections with 2/3 letter writers at UCSD especially, and at Harvard, and one LOR has a connection at UPenn. We have met/discussed a potential role for me in his lab.  

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: GPA is a hurdle that I attempted to get over by performing good research and getting some publications under my belt.  My GPA my first three years was terribly average (3.0 consistently every semester, yikes) but my senior year I achieved a 4.0 both semesters, and got As in my graduate level classes post-bacc that were relevant to my field.  I did so-so on my intro neuroscience courses in undergrad, so I thought that this would bolster my app.  I also did poorly in my intro bio classes, so I took the bio GRE to show that I am capable of mastering intro bio material.  I know this is the biggest knife in my application, but hopefully by achieving higher scores once I got my act together, I can show adcoms that I am a capable scientist who will have no problems balancing coursework and research.  If anyone has any suggestions of things I could work on before applying, they would be appreciated!

Applying to Where:
Still considering waiting another year.  My boyfriend is finishing up medical school and I'd like to wait to see where he matches next year.

List goes from HUGE REACH to potentially attainable.  I have a large amount of reaches on my list, but let's assume I have enough free time to apply and money to spend on each application.  Any suggestions on places *not* in the Midwest are greatly appreciated, as I am still doing research on places to apply:  

(All neuro programs)
Harvard
Stanford
UCSD
UPenn
UC Berkeley 
Duke
UNC-CH
UC Davis
UMass - Amherst
UC Boulder

So I have decided not to apply this year, but instead wait another year. I am so nervous about my GPA preventing me from getting interviews anywhere. Is there anything else I should work on for this year that could help me out besides continuing to work in my lab? 

I am am also considering adding NYU to my list, as there is a PI I am very interested in who had great contacts with my current lab. 

5 hours ago, biochemgirl67 said:

I'd like to point out to all the impressionable applying students, especially those coming straight out of undergrad, that "top person" is so subjective.  It's in flux and it's not a real thing.  Don't choose schools/programs based on a PI (not saying VirologyPhDinTraining did, just that someone with a master's is more focused/mature in their training and therefore more successful in making those kinds of decisions) because there are so many things that they don't tell you in undergrad.  How do you like to be mentored as a growing scientist?  90% of you don't know (and you shouldn't!) and will find out during rotations.  What do you want to study?  So many of you think you know (I did and now I'm kinda falling in love with viruses) and end up in something else.  Do you want to work in an established lab or a new one or something in between?  Do you want your PI to foster a sense of community by trips to bars and parties or do you want someone who is more hands-off?  Do you want your PI to jump in and train you or do you feel more comfortable doing that with a senior lab member?

For someone who has not been in grad school before, fame of the PI should be last on your mind.  If you already have a graduate degree, chances are you have your life a little more figured out and can make a decision like that and not regret it, just because you're more informed.  But younglings, keep in mind that fame does not equal grad student success.  It doesn't negate it, but there are a lot of ways to be successful in grad school, and it's not always by going to the top school/program and working with the "top" PI in the field.  Choose a school/program where you fit in and a PI that will be a good mentor.  Don't make decisions on fame and prestige if you barely have any experience in the field.  And I know, it feels like you have a lot when you've worked in a lab for 2+ years, but do yourself a favor and give yourself as many options as possible because you might just want them in about a year from now.

I would whole-heartedly agree with you. As I said in my first post though, I think if this person wants to get into a top program/work with the top people, it is best for them to think about getting a masters in the field they are interested it. If they do well in an MS program it will show that they have the drive and ability to succeed in a graduate program, and should show that they are a productive research, which can override any concerns about a weak GPA from undergrad. I used myself as an example, just because it was what I did, and quite a few people I know, and it helped all of us continue on to bigger and better things, so to speak. For me, it allowed me to overcome a middle of the road GPA and research experience and find a lab that I am happy and excited to be in. But, it is just my opinion and they should of course consider all options, such as post-bacc, industry, or applying to "lower quality" schools, along with considering the pros and cons of an MS.

And to add to what you said: The only reason why I chose to work with this professor is because I have already had the chance to meet them, get to know them a bit, and because I know their former students and colleagues. This has allowed me to make an informed decision about if I believed their lab would be a right decision for me. I, along with many others here, think that rotations are almost always the best bet. And would encourage anyone who applies to a program to apply to one that isn't dominated by one person, but one that has a diverse faculty that broadly fit their research interests. 

Edited by VirologyPhDinTraining

16 minutes ago, somino42 said:

So I have decided not to apply this year, but instead wait another year. I am so nervous about my GPA preventing me from getting interviews anywhere. Is there anything else I should work on for this year that could help me out besides continuing to work in my lab? 

I am am also considering adding NYU to my list, as there is a PI I am very interested in who had great contacts with my current lab. 

I think that you should apply this year, honestly your application cant get any better unless you were to somehow boost your GPA. I don't think it's worth it to keep waiting, after rejection is the worst possible scenario and I think you should get interviews with your credentials. Just write a good SOP that encompasses why you love science and maybe address your GPA :) 

23 hours ago, somino42 said:

Wait, why aren't you applying this year? 

On 10/7/2016 at 1:54 PM, somino42 said:

You might want to apply this year, just make a list of schools that fits your profile plus a couple of reach schools.  Also mix some master's programs in there.  Then make the best decision after you have more information.  There isn't really much you can do in a year to improve your profile.  You might get some really great opportunities out of this cycle or you might get some rejections.  Just make sure you have multiple types of options.

On 10/7/2016 at 11:36 AM, blc073 said:

I fundamentally disagree with this, and this quote is completely antithetical to the rest of your comment. 

The advice here is to realistically evaluate oneself, then apply to a variety of schools within a realistic framework, i.e., if an individual has a below average GPA and less than average experience, that individual should not apply to eight top tier programs and one second tier. Settling here is simply appreciating a situation and pursuing a path that will lead to the best graduate school experience without wasting time. 

Maybe I didn't provide enough context.  If the person is someone who thinks the only acceptable PhD program is a top tier program but they lack some important application points in combination, they might be in for a disappointment.  I mean "settling" in this negative context.  If an applicant considers going to a school "settling" and really wishes to be a top tier school (which may not be attainable), that seems like setting up for a bad situation.  If this same person ONLY wants to go these top schools, then the best way to do that (if this cycle doesn't hold any acceptances) would be to fundamentally change your profile through a master's or industry.  Just my opinion though.

On 10/7/2016 at 6:18 AM, Bioenchilada said:

Did you see those stats here? The thing about GPA is that it tells you nothing about your ability to do research, or the amount of connections someone has. So, that person with a 2.67 could be a Stanford legacy with 4 years of experience, or just someone that had letters from 3 Nobel laureates, you'll never know. I'm not by any means discouraging you from applying, but I've seen people with 4.0s and high GREs literally get rejected across the board because their SOP was weakened due to a lack of diverse experience, which also has an impact on LOR "quality". 

I think you have nothing to lose by applying, so might as well do so to see how it goes. At the same time, I suggest NOT lowering your standards when it comes to picking schools, unless you truly want to go to that particular places. "Safeties" are more of an undergrad thing, and applying to a low tier school you have no interest in could definitely lead to a rejection. 

I also suggest applying to postbac programs or maybe even lab tech jobs later in the game to increase your chances for next year, if you don't get in. I'm confident that you can, at the very least , land a 1/2-year tech position at a top 5 school. :) 

@biochemgirl67

Thank you so much, everyone. The other options are definitely something I will follow through on. I appreciate the different thoughts about the different options I could take, and I wholeheartedly agree that I could improve my app with more diverse research and post-bac to show that I can do well with courses.

What @blc073 said, also raises a critical question that I will definitely have to think more about. I am very set on an  academic career path, and I know I will enjoy being in a Ph.D. program, but like you said am I willing to settle?

I will keep my options open and keep the forum updated. Thanks again!

This thread has been very helpful, thanks everyone who gives feedback!  I am mostly wondering if I need to diversify my schools?  Also I have a few questions about how/when to list publications that aren't yet accepted (below)

Undergrad Institution: Top liberal arts college
Major(s):  Biology
Minor(s): Environmental Studies
GPA in Major: 3.8
Overall GPA: 3.6
Position in Class: No idea
Type of Student: Domestic white female

GRE Scores :
Q: 163 (85%)
V: 164 (94%)
W: 4.0 (59%)
B: not taking

Research Experience: 

Will have complete a 2 year post-bac at NIH in a virology/cancer bio lab: one mid-author publication in top journal, one second author pub in review at Cell (hopefully will be accepted - if not, is it taboo to list the journal where it is under review before it is accepted?), also a first author paper that may or may not be done (should I list papers "in preparation"? I've seen conflicting advice, but perhaps because we're very early in our careers?) [PI will write letter]

One summer and then a senior thesis in a virology/immunology lab [PI will write letter, another prof I took several classes with will write the other]

One summer doing field work/GIS mapping related to climate change/flooding

High Honors in my department

A few poster presentations/awards, but all local 

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: 

TA in intro bio lab, currently do some relevant volunteer work (tutoring through an non-profit, STEM in high schools), Varsity athlete (not sure how to work this in, or if I should bring this up)

Any other info: Not sure how relevant it will be, but my GPA has trended up.  Freshman GPA was ~3.3, and I ended up with a 3.9+ my senior year 
Applying to Where: my current list, but still updating

Harvard: BBS and Virology

Stanford

Rockefeller

Penn

UWashington: Micro and Mol/Cell Bio

UCSF

Yale: BBS

WashU: DBBS

Columbia

Any suggestions for schools I might look into, especially ones I can feel more confident about being accepted into?  Thanks in advance!

Your application looks good. I'd still list publications in preparation, it might not help but I don't think it'd hurt. You can just put, "in preparation" after it. I think your list looks ok.

I would greatly appreciate any feedback on my overall application strength, I am getting anxious about applying! Thanks! 

Undergrad Institution: Large State School, great biology reputation. 
Major(s): Physiology 
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: 3.5 
Overall GPA: 3.5
Position in Class: Above average 
Type of Student: Domestic Female 

Q:156
V: 158
W:4.0
B: (taking the subject for the heck of it. Scored above 90th percentile on practice) 

Graduate Institution: Small Private Medical College, relatively unknown 

Major: Biomedical Sciences 

Overall GPA: 3.0 (1yr program, had a very difficult personal experiences during that year) will address this briefly in my SOP

Graduate Institution (Masters): Small Private University, excellent reputation in biology 

Major: Cell, Molecular and Developmental Biology 

Overall GPA: 3.5

Research Experience: ~2 years of research experience in Develpomental genetics. Will have completed and defended a Masters thesis by this coming summer. Have gained experience in basic genetics techniques, molecular cloning protocols, cell/tissue culture and CRISPR. 

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Several undergraduate scholarships and awards in biology, competitive graduate assistanship and summer graduate fellowship 

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Spent 3 years working as an adjunct professor. Taught general biology, anatomy and physiology as well as general chemistry. Have also been a graduate teaching assistant for 5 semesters at current institution.  

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:

Special Bonus Points: My current PI has connections at my top choice school, as she attended there for her Ph.D and is still in touch with faculty in the department I am interested in. I will also have three strong LORs, all from my current Institution. One from my PI, one from the Biology department chair and one from the graduate program director (also on my thesis committee). 

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:

Applying to Where:

Cornell - Genetics and Developmental Biology 

Brown - Molecular and Cell Biology and Biochemistry 

Pennsylvania State University - Molecular and Integrative Biosciences 

University of Pennsylvania - Cell and Molecular Biology 

10 minutes ago, BioCat02 said:

I would greatly appreciate any feedback on my overall application strength, I am getting anxious about applying! Thanks! 

Undergrad Institution: Large State School, great biology reputation. 
Major(s): Physiology 
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: 3.5 
Overall GPA: 3.5
Position in Class: Above average 
Type of Student: Domestic Female 

Q:156
V: 158
W:4.0
B: (taking the subject for the heck of it. Scored above 90th percentile on practice) 

Graduate Institution: Small Private Medical College, relatively unknown 

Major: Biomedical Sciences 

Overall GPA: 3.0 (1yr program, had a very difficult personal experiences during that year) will address this briefly in my SOP

Graduate Institution (Masters): Small Private University, excellent reputation in biology 

Major: Cell, Molecular and Developmental Biology 

Overall GPA: 3.5

Research Experience: ~2 years of research experience in Develpomental genetics. Will have completed and defended a Masters thesis by this coming summer. Have gained experience in basic genetics techniques, molecular cloning protocols, cell/tissue culture and CRISPR. 

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Several undergraduate scholarships and awards in biology, competitive graduate assistanship and summer graduate fellowship 

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Spent 3 years working as an adjunct professor. Taught general biology, anatomy and physiology as well as general chemistry. Have also been a graduate teaching assistant for 5 semesters at current institution.  

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:

Special Bonus Points: My current PI has connections at my top choice school, as she attended there for her Ph.D and is still in touch with faculty in the department I am interested in. I will also have three strong LORs, all from my current Institution. One from my PI, one from the Biology department chair and one from the graduate program director (also on my thesis committee). 

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:

Applying to Where:

Cornell - Genetics and Developmental Biology 

Brown - Molecular and Cell Biology and Biochemistry 

Pennsylvania State University - Molecular and Integrative Biosciences 

University of Pennsylvania - Cell and Molecular Biology 

Are you only applying to those four schools? Also, you have two Master's? 

I don't think your stats are bad, but they're also not stellar. Your GRE could be a bit better, but I don't think that'll really matter in the grander scheme. Do you only have two years of research experience though? As in, did you get that from your Master's? Like, if you've spent a significant amount of time in school and academia and only have two years of experience, it might raise some eyebrows. Do you only have one letter that is coming from a PI? I feel like having someone that knows you but hasn't really supervised your research can't really provide much accurate information about YOUR skills as a scientist. 

The fact that you did Master's level research might help you, especially if it was full time, since it obviously shows your commitment to science, which is excellent. However, if you've only been in one lab, that might come back to bite you when writing your SOP and with your LORs. I don't think it's impossible for you to get into the schools you're applying to, but those are very little options and very competitive programs. 

20 minutes ago, Bioenchilada said:

Are you only applying to those four schools? Also, you have two Master's? 

I don't think your stats are bad, but they're also not stellar. Your GRE could be a bit better, but I don't think that'll really matter in the grander scheme. Do you only have two years of research experience though? As in, did you get that from your Master's? Like, if you've spent a significant amount of time in school and academia and only have two years of experience, it might raise some eyebrows. Do you only have one letter that is coming from a PI? I feel like having someone that knows you but hasn't really supervised your research can't really provide much accurate information about YOUR skills as a scientist. 

The fact that you did Master's level research might help you, especially if it was full time, since it obviously shows your commitment to science, which is excellent. However, if you've only been in one lab, that might come back to bite you when writing your SOP and with your LORs. I don't think it's impossible for you to get into the schools you're applying to, but those are very little options and very competitive programs. 

Yeah, these stats raise so many questions! 

@BioCat02 Why are you applying to those schools in particular? 

Edited by blc073

19 hours ago, lmb123 said:

This thread has been very helpful, thanks everyone who gives feedback!  I am mostly wondering if I need to diversify my schools?  Also I have a few questions about how/when to list publications that aren't yet accepted (below)

Undergrad Institution: Top liberal arts college
Major(s):  Biology
Minor(s): Environmental Studies
GPA in Major: 3.8
Overall GPA: 3.6
Position in Class: No idea
Type of Student: Domestic white female

GRE Scores :
Q: 163 (85%)
V: 164 (94%)
W: 4.0 (59%)
B: not taking

Research Experience: 

Will have complete a 2 year post-bac at NIH in a virology/cancer bio lab: one mid-author publication in top journal, one second author pub in review at Cell (hopefully will be accepted - if not, is it taboo to list the journal where it is under review before it is accepted?), also a first author paper that may or may not be done (should I list papers "in preparation"? I've seen conflicting advice, but perhaps because we're very early in our careers?) [PI will write letter]

One summer and then a senior thesis in a virology/immunology lab [PI will write letter, another prof I took several classes with will write the other]

One summer doing field work/GIS mapping related to climate change/flooding

High Honors in my department

A few poster presentations/awards, but all local 

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: 

TA in intro bio lab, currently do some relevant volunteer work (tutoring through an non-profit, STEM in high schools), Varsity athlete (not sure how to work this in, or if I should bring this up)

Any other info: Not sure how relevant it will be, but my GPA has trended up.  Freshman GPA was ~3.3, and I ended up with a 3.9+ my senior year 
Applying to Where: my current list, but still updating

Harvard: BBS and Virology

Stanford

Rockefeller

Penn

U Washington: Micro and Mol/Cell Bio

UCSF

Yale: BBS

Wash U: DBBS

Columbia

Any suggestions for schools I might look into, especially ones I can feel more confident about being accepted into?  Thanks in advance!

I wouldn't list in preparation, but if they have been submitted, list them.  Or at least, I did and no one said anything bad about it lol.  Other than that, I think you have a good list.  Because I'm a worrier, I would include 1 backup school (I know, I know.  Everybody says there should be no safeties.  But I like to have one to make myself feel better.)  But if you feel confident without it, it won't matter anyway.  You'll likely get interviews at some of the schools at the very least.

Also, if you're interested in virology, Emory has a pretty great emphasis on it.  Just in case you want to add one more to your list. :P