Type of Student: International male

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 170 (97th percentile)
V: 169 (99th percentile)
W: 4.5 (82nd percentile)
B: 950 (99th percentile)

TOEFL Total: 117

Research Experience: 

3 months in a neuroscience lab (in a small state school in the US). Not relevant to current interests

5-6 months in a biophysics/computational biology lab at top biology research institute in India after sophomore year. Theoretical work, mostly modelling and simulations. No publications, but some cool results.

3 months in a biophysics lab at MIT after junior year. Work went really well, will be writing a first author paper from my work here (won’t be submitted in the next couple of months). Presented this work at a relevant conference in India, likely to have poster for the APS Meeting next year.

Currently at another biophysics lab for undergraduate thesis research at same institute where I worked after sophomore year. Working on microbial ecology and evolution.

Interests: Biophysics, ecology and evolution

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Two Govt. scholarships, one for undergrad study, one for summer research in the US.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: N/A

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:  Medal at an International Olympiad.

Special Bonus Points:  Several graduate level courses in systems biology and related fields (which had a significant research component, something that I’ve emphasized in my application).

Strong recommendations (esp. from PI at MIT, who is very well known in the field). Other recommendations from the two biophysics labs I worked in.

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: N/A

Applying to:

MIT: CSB, Microbiology

Harvard: Systems Biology, MCO (Engineering and Physical Biology track)

Princeton: QCB

Stanford: Bioengineering

Berkeley: Biophysics

UCSD: Biology (Quantitative Biology)

What do you think about my chances at these programs?

Your profile looks pretty strong! We have a lot overlaps in the application list. Hope to see you in interviews!

On 11/25/2016 at 11:11 AM, iamthemorning said:

Undergrad Institution: Top institute in India
Major(s): Biology
GPA in Major:  ~3.92 (Converted)
Overall GPA: ~3.9
Position in Class: Near top overall, top in major
Type of Student: International male

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 170 (97th percentile)
V: 169 (99th percentile)
W: 4.5 (82nd percentile)
B: 950 (99th percentile)

TOEFL Total: 117

Research Experience: 

3 months in a neuroscience lab (in a small state school in the US). Not relevant to current interests

5-6 months in a biophysics/computational biology lab at top biology research institute in India after sophomore year. Theoretical work, mostly modelling and simulations. No publications, but some cool results.

3 months in a biophysics lab at MIT after junior year. Work went really well, will be writing a first author paper from my work here (won’t be submitted in the next couple of months). Presented this work at a relevant conference in India, likely to have poster for the APS Meeting next year.

Currently at another biophysics lab for undergraduate thesis research at same institute where I worked after sophomore year. Working on microbial ecology and evolution.

Interests: Biophysics, ecology and evolution

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Two Govt. scholarships, one for undergrad study, one for summer research in the US.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: N/A

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:  Medal at an International Olympiad.

Special Bonus Points:  Several graduate level courses in systems biology and related fields (which had a significant research component, something that I’ve emphasized in my application).

Strong recommendations (esp. from PI at MIT, who is very well known in the field). Other recommendations from the two biophysics labs I worked in.

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: N/A

Applying to:

MIT: CSB, Microbiology

Harvard: Systems Biology, MCO (Engineering and Physical Biology track)

Princeton: QCB

Stanford: Bioengineering

Berkeley: Biophysics

UCSD: Biology (Quantitative Biology)

What do you think about my chances at these programs?

Just curious, does that MIT professor happen to be Jeff Gore? 'cause he is the only biophysics/evolutionary biologist there.

Hello All! 

I suppose this may be just to quell my anxieties, but I was wondering if anyone had any feedback on my qualifications or ideas for future programs for me to consider. Because I am ok with being an RA for a year or two before graduate school (I have a few opportunities lined up already), I am only applying to the one program I know I truly want to be a part of: Stanford's Affective Sciences program. Of course I know this sounds absurd, but I see no issue in reapplying to Stanford (along with other programs) if I don't get into the Fall 2017 student pool.

Undergrad Institution: Top liberal arts college
Major(s):  Behavioral Neuroscience and Classical Studies
Minor(s): Biology
GPA in Major: 3.8
Overall GPA: 3.7
Position in Class: Top 10%
Type of Student: Domestic white male

GRE Scores :
Q: 160
V: 163
AW: 6.0

Research Experience: 

I've been working in my current lab since the fall of my first year, and I developed a close relationship with my PI after I showed early commitment and interest. I've been developing my own projects since my Sophomore year (I am currently executing my 5th solo project), and I make that clear in my statement of purpose. These projects are also very well aligned with my POI at Stanford, which I also discuss in my application. I have also been a research fellow at 3 different institutions for 3 summers (in Cincinnati, New York, and Portland) as part of SURF/SURP programs. My most recent summer was with a very well known researcher in affective science, from whom I'm receiving a letter of recommendation. Unfortunately I haven't yet produced any publications, but have a couple of manuscripts in the works (not yet submitted though).

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: 

Honorable mentions from 3 poster symposiums, academic award for Latin Studies, Dean's List most semesters, Student Representative for my major, recipient of research grants for two summers worth of research (not any extremely notable/famous grants, however)

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: 

TA for 4 semesters of psychology courses, a student mentor abroad (Kyoto, Japan) for a psychology of mindfulness course, research assistant at 3 separate institutions, tutor in Biology, Neuroscience, and Latin

Any other info: 

I have given about 30 research talks at 4 different institutions (most of them have been at my own college) and multiple poster presentation at several conferences. I have also committed much of my time to contemplative practice by leading students and professors in meditative exercise, for which I collaborate with a committee of professors who started a contemplative studies initiative at my school. I am the founder and leader of the student group that meets to share contemplative practices (this is all reported in my CV and alluded to in my personal statement). I also founded a literary magazine and a poetry venue for students- although I'm not sure how relevant this is. Because I have not yet been published, I included in my supplementary materials along with my CV an APA writing sample of my last summer project that includes several significant variables as well as complex statistics, and that used a novel paradigm (virtual reality) in its method. I believe this shows I can produce publishable* science that's near the forefront of the field's methodology/technology.

*statistically significant across multiple variables

Applying to Where: 

Stanford Psychology PhD (Affective Science subprogram)

Any critiques, chances, or ideas for where else I should look if I don't get accepted are appreciated :) I have considered programs at ASU, Columbia, Harvard, and NYU- but I believe I'd be the happiest at my target lab in Stanford

Hello,

I'm not sure which GRE score I should send. I'm applying to Bioengineering PhD programs and aiming for schools such as Stanford, MIT, and Harvard. Will they look down more on low verbal scores than writing scores? 

V: 161 (88%) Q: 165(89%) W: 3.5 (42%)

V: 156(72%) Q: 167(93%) W: 5.0 (93%)

I'm sure I can raise my Verbal score to ~94% but wasn't sure whether they will take late scores.. Will my application considered incomplete if I retake the GRE and the score arrives late?  I noticed that there was a section in the application where I could enter in future GRE test dates.

Thank you!

1 hour ago, Flux1100 said:

Hello,

I'm not sure which GRE score I should send. I'm applying to Bioengineering PhD programs and aiming for schools such as Stanford, MIT, and Harvard. Will they look down more on low verbal scores than writing scores? 

I'm sure I can raise my Verbal score to ~94% but wasn't sure whether they will take late scores.. Will my application considered incomplete if I retake the GRE and the score arrives late?  I noticed that there was a section in the application where I could enter in future GRE test dates.

Thank you!

That's a tough call. I think the one thing about a low writing score is that you can always have an amazing SOP to make up for it. I think the SOP is probably a much better indicator of your writing ability and admissions committees will understand that. I would submit your first score and package it with a stellar essay.

2 hours ago, Flux1100 said:

Hello,

Thank you!

I'd go with the first one.

Happy Dec 1 everyone! Hope everyone has a great app season :)

16 minutes ago, cuteDr22 said:

When do we start hearing about interviews?  

Couple of my programs said mid-December, but it varies. My PI is on the adcom for the university I'm at now and they don't even meet to start looking over apps until mid December.

30 minutes ago, Bioenchilada said:

All of my schools but Stanford sent invites before Christmas. They send them the first/second week of January. 

on the more depressing side, when do you start getting rejections? do you assume to be rejected if you don't hear back around that time?

9 minutes ago, cmykrgb said:

on the more depressing side, when do you start getting rejections? do you assume to be rejected if you don't hear back around that time?

Asking the important questions haha

4 hours ago, Neuro15 said:

Happy Dec 1 everyone! Hope everyone has a great app season :)

Couple of my programs said mid-December, but it varies. My PI is on the adcom for the university I'm at now and they don't even meet to start looking over apps until mid December.

Turned in my first round of apps yesterday :). Good luck everyone! Now we get to compulsively check our e-mails for the next three months :P 

2 hours ago, cmykrgb said:

Unless your school sends invites in batches, you can assume that you got rejected if you don't get an invite when everyone else does. I knew that I got rejected from Harvard the 17th-ish because I knew that BBS had sent out invites, though they rejected me on March. 

1 hour ago, cuteDr22 said:

Good question, Neuro15!  Do most schools send formal rejections?  And I assume they notify you if you have been placed on a waiting list.

I've seen a lot of people that assumed that they were on a waitlist because they had not been contacted for an interview, but these rarely exist pre-interview. Even post-interview, formal or informal waitlists are not super common. Formal rejections are sent after everyone has interviewed, typically, even if you didn't get invited. I believe most schools send them. 

3 minutes ago, Bioenchilada said:

I've seen a lot of people that assumed that they were on a waitlist because they had not been contacted for an interview, but these rarely exist pre-interview. Even post-interview, formal or informal waitlists are not super common. Formal rejections are sent after everyone has interviewed, typically, even if you didn't get invited. I believe most schools send them. 

When did you hear back from Upenn as far as an interview invite?

I was doing so well keeping myself busy with lab and league of legends until today actually hit. The wait begins......

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!

3 minutes ago, KR Marksmen said:

I was doing so well keeping myself busy with lab and league of legends until today actually hit. The wait begins......

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!

The 15th. The earliest that I heard back from a school was the 9th, and it was Dartmouth. 

1 hour ago, KR Marksmen said:

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!

Haha, I was actually thinking of downloading LoL (haven't played in three years!) again because now that apps are done, I have no idea what to do with all this free time. Good luck!!! 

41 minutes ago, LoveMysterious said:

Haha, I was actually thinking of downloading LoL (haven't played in three years!) again because now that apps are done, I have no idea what to do with all this free time. Good luck!!! 

Haha my screen name is actually a reference to my favorite Twitch Streamer (Hi Im Gosu) and my IGN. But that's my issue too. So much free time now :(

Undergrad Institution: Top Australian University (Consistently top 100 worldwide)
Major(s): Biochemistry and Cell Pathology 
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: 3.0
Overall GPA: 3.4
Position in Class: Somewhere in the middle
Type of Student: International, South Asian, LGBT

GRE Scores (revised):
Q:162 (82%)
V: 160(85%)
W: 4.5 (82%)
B: Not taken

Research Experience: 2 years undergrad in proteomics, 1.5 years in health policy post-grad

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Summer Research Scholarship

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:

Special Bonus Points: Solid Recommendations, 2 from University Professors. Third from Employer who is a Harvard/Oxford grad and top of his field (although not in biomedical field).

Applying to Where:
UNC Chapel Hill - Biomedical

Baylor College of Medicine- Biomedical

University of Utah - Biological Chemistry

University of Virginia- Biomedical

UMass Medical School- Biomedical

I think other than UNC which is clearly my reach school I have a reasonable shot at the other 4 universities. However after a full round of rejections last year I am not too hopeful. 

16 hours ago, cuteDr22 said:

When do we start hearing about interviews?  

I got my first invite last week of Dec, most came in Jan

14 hours ago, cmykrgb said:

It's most likely safe to assume rejections if you still haven't heard back and people have stopped posting about getting invites. Not all invites go out at the same time, there may be a delay of hours to days.

13 hours ago, cuteDr22 said:

Good question, Neuro15!  Do most schools send formal rejections?  And I assume they notify you if you have been placed on a waiting list.

You will most likely not get formal rejections from most programs until fairly late (eg. until after their interviews, even if you didn't get an interview invite).