2017 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Dank

10 minutes ago, Pinot Meow said:

I just got a phone call and interview invite from Duke Genetics and Genomics!

OMG I applied to the same program! have not heard anything though

15 minutes ago, Maze said:

OMG I applied to the same program! have not heard anything though

I'm sure it'll come soon! My phone call came from the PI I'm specifically interested in so maybe it was a little quicker that way.

2 minutes ago, Pinot Meow said:

I'm sure it'll come soon! My phone call came from the PI I'm specifically interested in so maybe it was a little quicker that way.

That sounds great! Congratulations to you:D

5 minutes ago, Pinot Meow said:

Congrats!! Just curious what was the content of the call? Did you talk research at all?

Edited by Neuro15

3 minutes ago, Maze said:

That sounds great! Congratulations to you:D

Thank you!! Best of luck to you!

1 minute ago, Neuro15 said:

Congrats!! Just curious what was the content of the call? Did you talk research at all?

We'd emailed back and forth about research earlier this year so didn't talk much in the call. I'm not a great auditory learner so I don't remember exactly, but she mentioned seeing my application and being the one to call, the interview dates, and that I'd be contacted by email as well.

Question for those of you who went through this last year: did most schools give you a few dates to choose from for interviews or did they just tell you which weekend you would be attending?  Just got my first invite (!) and I'm not sure if I should choose a weekend or ask if I can let them know next week...

Edited by lmb123

33 minutes ago, lmb123 said:

Question for those of you who went through this last year: did most schools give you a few dates to choose from for interviews or did they just tell you which weekend you would be attending?  Just got my first invite (!) and I'm not sure if I should choose a weekend or ask if I can let them know next week...

Some schools gave me freedom to choose (Dartmouth), others chose for me (Penn).

hi, new question. The paper my lab has been working on finally was submitted today, and I'm a co-author on it. I had the paper listed as in prep on my CV, do I need to submit a new CV or send an email just updating it to submitted, or is that not necessary?

4 minutes ago, britt2017 said:

hi, new question. The paper my lab has been working on finally was submitted today, and I'm a co-author on it. I had the paper listed as in prep on my CV, do I need to submit a new CV or send an email just updating it to submitted, or is that not necessary?

I wouldn't do anything about it, it's not going to be a game changer.

3 hours ago, lmb123 said:

Some let me choose and some only gave one interview date. Scheduling was one of the big issues for me last year and I ultimately turned down a few interviews as there were only so many weekends available during interview season. If you can get your hands on potential interview dates for each school, I would recommend pulling up a calendar and trying to see if you can fit all the interview dates of the schools you really want to attend. This will end up helping a lot if you have a bunch of schools that offer two interview dates.

Edited by Ferroportin
spelling

11 hours ago, lmb123 said:

I'm going through the process now, but all of the post-docs and PhD students I know say that it depends both on the school and when they invite you.  When I got the invite from BU, they had two weekend options.  I was told for Rutgers they only have one, though.