2017 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Dank

10 minutes ago, DGD4L said:

@Bioenchilada You heard the 9th?! as in December 9th??? 

I hope everyones applications go well! Here's to wanting to throw up from anxiety for the next 2 months :) Cheers!

I think I've been looking at my email 10x more than usual today. It's Dec 2. I know there's going to be no communication for *at least* a week. It's going to be a long month haha. 

11 minutes ago, Neuro15 said:

I think I've been looking at my email 10x more than usual today. It's Dec 2. I know there's going to be no communication for *at least* a week. It's going to be a long month haha. 

It's the worst!!

27 minutes ago, DGD4L said:

@Bioenchilada You heard the 9th?! as in December 9th??? 

I hope everyones applications go well! Here's to wanting to throw up from anxiety for the next 2 months :) Cheers!

Yeah haha

December 9th. It was for MCB, and I was contacted by a professor.

48 minutes ago, Neuro15 said:

It will definitely be a long month. Best of luck to you @Neuro15!

32 minutes ago, Bioenchilada said:

Yeah haha

December 9th. It was for MCB, and I was contacted by a professor.

That's interesting, did they just say they thought you were good for their lab specifically or were they speaking on behalf of the department and inviting you for an interview?

45 minutes ago, DGD4L said:

It will definitely be a long month. Best of luck to you @Neuro15!

That's interesting, did they just say they thought you were good for their lab specifically or were they speaking on behalf of the department and inviting you for an interview?

They were speaking on behalf of the department for an interview.

It was also like 8pm, so you could be contacted after business hours.

Edited by Bioenchilada

According to Stanford's Bioengineering website, it says

Applications will not be accepted after the December 6, 2016 deadline. All supporting documents must be received by the application deadline at 11:59 pm. Our faculty will begin reviewing files immediately—applications without supporting materials will be considered incomplete. In order for your application to be competitive, ensure that all of your supporting materials will arrive no later than the application deadline.

does that mean they won't review if the LOR and GRE scores do not arrive by the deadline?

2 hours ago, Flux1100 said:

All supporting documents must be received by the application deadline at 11:59 pm.

2 hours ago, Flux1100 said:

does that mean they won't review if the LOR and GRE scores do not arrive by the deadline?

Yes, they will NOT review any documents if ALL supporting (LORs and GREs) documents are not received by the above stated deadline.

1 hour ago, Black Beauty said:

Yes, they will NOT review any documents if ALL supporting (LORs and GREs) documents are not received by the above stated deadline.

Thank you for your response!

I've received my official GRE scores couple of weeks ago but I did not send them until last week.

Do they want the official scores sent by ETS by the deadline or is it sufficient to just have the scores on my application?

24 minutes ago, Flux1100 said:

Thank you for your response!

I've received my official GRE scores couple of weeks ago but I did not send them until last week.

Do they want the official scores sent by ETS by the deadline or is it sufficient to just have the scores on my application?

This information should generally be stated somewhere on the application or FAQ. If they don't explicitly say that unofficial scores are okay, I'd assume that official GRE scores are due by the deadline too. I feel like the extent to which they enforce this will vary by program though.

It seems that in your case it is too late anyways.

Edited by Edotdl

If you haven't done so already, I'd recommend removing yourself from as many e-mail lists as possible. Will save you from having a few mini heart attacks a day. Also don't forget to check your spam/junk folder every couple days. I had an e-mail or two from programs fall in mine during my application season. 

I'm heading down to Atlanta this weekend to visit some family so I had emailed the Genetics and Molecular Biology Program at Emory to see if I could get a tour. They said that in the next few days they'll be contacting people to set up Skype interviews to see who to invite for the interview weekend on February 2nd-4th.

Undergrad Institution: University of California, Davis
Major(s): Environmental Toxicology
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: 3.92
Overall GPA: 3.98
Position in Class: Well within top 10%
Type of Student: domestic, female

GRE Scores:
Q: 163
V: 165
W: 5.0

Research Experience: Almost a year in a toxicology lab at my school that relates to my research interests, the developmental origins of health and disease (chronic). Now completing an honors thesis and very involved in the lab. Worked last summer full-time through a summer research program doing a mostly independent project on a topic very different from my research at UC Davis.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: 

UC Davis Regents Scholar, Provost's Award (for outstanding out-of-state students), University Honors Program, Deans Honor List 

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Calculus tutor for almost 3 years for the university -- well known and liked by my students and boss, who wrote one of my letters.

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Served on the board of a 501(c)(3) organization (700+) members for 4 years.

Special Bonus Points: One graduate level class on environmental justice. Excellent writing and public speaking skills.

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:

Applying to Where:
UNC Chapel Hill, BBSP, Toxicology Emphasis

University of Michigan, Department of Environmental Health Sciences, Toxicology

Duke University, Integrated Toxicology and Environmental Health

Michigan State University, Pharmacology and Toxicology, would like to join Institute for Integrative Toxicology 

Oregon State University, Environmental and Molecular Toxicology

I figure this will help a little in not checking my email constantly. 

Undergrad Institution:

York CUNY (BS)

Rutgers GSBS (MA)
Major(s): Chemistry (BS)

Biomedical Science, Stem Cell concentration (MA)
Minor(s): None
GPA in Major: 3.0 (BS)

3.6 (MA)
Overall GPA: 2.9 (BS)

3.6 (MA)
Position in Class: N/A
Type of Student: Domestic male

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 158
V: 157
W: 4.5
B: N/A

Research Experience: 

1 year studying peptide synthesis and protein aggregation due to pi stacking (BS)

6 months studying bioinformatics in relation to possible phosphorylation sites on HIV-2 (BS)

1 year examining the regulatory region of N-cadherin is relation to breast cancer stem cell dormancy. (MA; thesis)

Awards/Honors/Recognition: N/A

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: 

TA for a stem cell course in my graduate program.

Mentoring high school and undergrads in the lab during the summer

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:

Special Bonus Points: Two of the LOR are from professors who are either thought of in high regard or infamous, depending on who you talk to.  So, it could go 50/50/

Did very, very poorly in undergrad and was removed from one school due to grades.  Extenuating circumstances that have been explained in my PS, but it’s still something that I have to fight against.

Applying to Where:

UC Denver

Duke University

Wake Forest School of Medicine

UT Southwestern

University of Wisconsin

UCSF

Boston University School of Medicine

NYU

Cedars-Sinai

Weill Cornell

Rockefeller

Rutgers GSBS

Stony Brook

CUNY

Mount Sinai

I already got an invite for an interview from Boston about 2 weeks ago, so I have at least one school that may like me.

6 minutes ago, Browncoat5871 said:

I figure this will help a little in not checking my email constantly. 

Undergrad Institution:

York CUNY (BS)

Rutgers GSBS (MA)
Major(s): Chemistry (BS)

Biomedical Science, Stem Cell concentration (MA)
Minor(s): None
GPA in Major: 3.0 (BS)

3.6 (MA)
Overall GPA: 2.9 (BS)

3.6 (MA)
Position in Class: N/A
Type of Student: Domestic male

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 158
V: 157
W: 4.5
B: N/A

Research Experience: 

1 year studying peptide synthesis and protein aggregation due to pi stacking (BS)

6 months studying bioinformatics in relation to possible phosphorylation sites on HIV-2 (BS)

1 year examining the regulatory region of N-cadherin is relation to breast cancer stem cell dormancy. (MA; thesis)

Awards/Honors/Recognition: N/A

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: 

TA for a stem cell course in my graduate program.

Mentoring high school and undergrads in the lab during the summer

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:

Special Bonus Points: Two of the LOR are from professors who are either thought of in high regard or infamous, depending on who you talk to.  So, it could go 50/50/

Did very, very poorly in undergrad and was removed from one school due to grades.  Extenuating circumstances that have been explained in my PS, but it’s still something that I have to fight against.

Applying to Where:

UC Denver

Duke University

Wake Forest School of Medicine

UT Southwestern

University of Wisconsin

UCSF

Boston University School of Medicine

NYU

Cedars-Sinai

Weill Cornell

Rockefeller

Rutgers GSBS

Stony Brook

CUNY

Mount Sinai

I already got an invite for an interview from Boston about 2 weeks ago, so I have at least one school that may like me.

That's fantastic! Can I ask which program you applied to at BU?

1 minute ago, CanadianNomad said:

That's fantastic! Can I ask which program you applied to at BU?

Thanks!  I applied for PiBS program.  I think it's their umbrella biomed program.  Specifically, it was the Cell bio track.  (To be honest, with all of those schools I sort of lose track of which program is for which).

1 minute ago, Browncoat5871 said:

Thanks!  I applied for PiBS program.  I think it's their umbrella biomed program.  Specifically, it was the Cell bio track.  (To be honest, with all of those schools I sort of lose track of which program is for which).

That's awesome, congrats :) I applied to GPN, so I was hoping it might be them you'd already heard back from! Best of luck with the rest of your programs!