Biology applicants Fall 2010

takshila

Feb. 11-12 and Feb. 25-26

Have anyone heard from Carnegie Mellon Biology, Columbia Biology, Duke Biochemistry, Harvard Chemical Biology, Jonhs Hopkins Chemical Biology, University of Florida IDP, UPenn Biology, UT-Austin Cell and Molecular Biology, UT-Southwestern Biosciences, Yale BBS?

I heard from UChicago's evolutionary biology for an interview. Don't know if the time table would be the same for other departments... On the website for the life sciences application it says they'll contact you on Jan 6th- Don't listen to this! I didn't hear from them for 3 weeks after that. I'd almost given up hope!

Good to know. I applied to the Human Genetics program and haven't heard anything yet. I tried to contact them through email about my status and have not heard back at all.. I just had a wonderful interview day at Tufts...but I can always use a couple more interviews...

Have anyone heard from Carnegie Mellon Biology, Columbia Biology, Duke Biochemistry, Harvard Chemical Biology, Jonhs Hopkins Chemical Biology, University of Florida IDP, UPenn Biology, UT-Austin Cell and Molecular Biology, UT-Southwestern Biosciences, Yale BBS?

Almost all of those schools have sent out some interview invitations by now, if not finished sending them out altogether.

this thing is driving me crazy - almost all schools have of course invited people from US to interviews but the status is so unclear for international applicants. I have definitely not heard from yale bbs or stanford biosciences, but I have also not been rejected.. I have no idea where I stand or if they have already started to do phone interviews with internationals. Information on websites usually is only about US applicants :(

it makes you already want to give upsad.gif

but then again for michigan PIBS I had to wait for my interview invitation around a month longer than the domestic applicants but it all worked out great in the end...

anyone else out there feeling my pain....

this thing is driving me crazy - almost all schools have of course invited people from US to interviews but the status is so unclear for international applicants. I have definitely not heard from yale bbs or stanford biosciences, but I have also not been rejected.. I have no idea where I stand or if they have already started to do phone interviews with internationals. Information on websites usually is only about US applicants :(

it makes you already want to give upsad.gif

but then again for michigan PIBS I had to wait for my interview invitation around a month longer than the domestic applicants but it all worked out great in the end...

anyone else out there feeling my pain....

Not an international student, but I feel your pain.

Waiting is tough.

Almost all of those schools have sent out some interview invitations by now, if not finished sending them out altogether.

I'd better try my best to get a job now. No more time wasted on this application.

I know most of these schools have sent out some invites already, but do you guys think that they still are sending them, or are they done. (for the molecular/immunology program)

University of Alabama Birmingham

Johns Hopkins School of Public Health

UT Southwestern

UT Medical Branch Galveston

WUSTL

Good luck to all you folks out there still waiting to here back. I didn't here back until May from my institution so don't lose hope people. In fact we are just cranking up our interviews as I have to take some candidates out to wine and dine them tomorrow night.

Best of luck

Sincerely your drunkard and resident asshole.

The Genomic Repairman

Has anyone that interviewed for Colorado MCDB heard back from admissions? I was expecting to hear back quickly and I'm a little anxious now.

I was there last weekend and haven't heard anything from them. One of the girl's said that Gia told her we would hear back "in a week or two". I'm also a little anxious, but I thought my interviews went well. What did you think of the program?

Thought I'd update on who I have heard from just in case people want to know where people are interviewing.

Applied: Harvard, BU, Tufts, MIT, Columbia, NYU, Albert Einstein, Umass, Dartmouth, Umiami

Interviews: Tufts, Albert Einstein, Dartmouth, Umiami (first one this week)

Accepted:???

Reject (BOOO): Harvard, Columbia, Umass, MIT

No Reply: BU, NYU

I was there last weekend and haven't heard anything from them. One of the girl's said that Gia told her we would hear back "in a week or two". I'm also a little anxious, but I thought my interviews went well. What did you think of the program?

Got my acceptance e-mail last weekend. Anyone have any opinion as to whether or not it's appropriate to e-mail back a "thanks" or whatever? I'm pretty sure I won't be joining the program, but I don't want to piss them off either. It was easier when someone just called me.

would you be so kind to share your experience at yale :) what you liked what not etc..

I also went to the visit on 2/4 for the MB&B track. The campus is gorgeous. It's like the Hogwarts in Harry Porter. The campus also has a huge gym and its membership is free for students. There are also many theaters nearby. Some of them are free and others are discounted for Yale students.

The BBS program is a very good program. You can rotate in any lab within the BBS program so even if you apply to one track, you can still rotate in labs in other tracks.

Everyone (faculty and students) is very friendly and nice. I had a dinner with two old faculty members who told me a lot of stories in the science. Also, I could feel that the students at Yale are very happy, that the relationship between students and faculty is very close and that the faculty members are very caring and supportive for students.

The only bad (or maybe good) thing is that New Haven is a small city and is nothing compared to Boston or New York. With that said, however, the housing cost of New Haven is relatively low compared to the two big cities. New Haven is also quite close to New York (~2 hours by train, and it only costs you $17 one-way). New Haven is quite safe, as long as you don't venture too far away from the campus area. Yale also has a shuttle service circulating around the campus during the daytime (~5-10 minutes frequency) and at night, you can call (literally, no kidding) the shuttle bus anywhere near the campus and the shuttle driver will take you to anywhere closeby (yes, ANYWHERE, not just the campus. You can literally take the shuttle back home from a bar in downtown). You can use this shuttle service as long as you have a Yale ID.

In general, I think Yale is a good place for science and a good enough place for me to live in. I really hope that I will get in to the program

Edited by MarA

did anyone get accepted to UCSF?

Which program? Tetrad or BMS?

I applied to Tetrad but they have not finished their interview process yet (my interview is scheduled on 2/26)

I also went to the visit on 2/4 for the MB&B track. The campus is gorgeous. It's like the Hogwarts in Harry Porter. The campus also has a huge gym and its membership is free for students. There are also many theaters nearby. Some of them are free and others are discounted for Yale students.

The BBS program is a very good program. You can rotate in any lab within the BBS program so even if you apply to one track, you can still rotate in labs in other tracks.

Everyone (faculty and students) is very friendly and nice. I had a dinner with two old faculty members who told me a lot of stories in the science. Also, I could feel that the students at Yale are very happy, that the relationship between students and faculty is very close and that the faculty members are very caring and supportive for students.

The only bad (or maybe good) thing is that New Haven is a small city and is nothing compared to Boston or New York. With that said, however, the housing cost of New Haven is relatively low compared to the two big cities. New Haven is also quite close to New York (~2 hours by train, and it only costs you $17 one-way). New Haven is quite safe, as long as you don't venture too far away from the campus area. Yale also has a shuttle service circulating around the campus during the daytime (~5-10 minutes frequency) and at night, you can call (literally, no kidding) the shuttle bus anywhere near the campus and the shuttle driver will take you to anywhere closeby (yes, ANYWHERE, not just the campus. You can literally take the shuttle back home from a bar in downtown). You can use this shuttle service as long as you have a Yale ID.

In general, I think Yale is a good place for science and a good enough place for me to live in. I really hope that I will get in to the program

Thanks! It sound great. Yale is my first choice and although chances are slim, I'm also hoping to hear from them. Internationals should have phone interviews with them throughout february and march...

Thanks! It sound great. Yale is my first choice and although chances are slim, I'm also hoping to hear from them. Internationals should have phone interviews with them throughout february and march...

For what it's worth, I've visited every university you applied to, and CWRU and Yale have the worst locations by a long shot. I haven't spent a lot of time in New Haven, but it's definitely not as nice or as interesting as SF, Boston, or Ann Arbor. I certainly wouldn't let that color your impression too much though, and if cost-of-living is important, SF and Boston will be way more expensive.