Early acceptance received with deadline to respond, waiting for other schools to respond

Hi everyone,

I received early acceptance to 1 of the 5 schools I applied to for a Masters program. The school that accepted me gave a deadline of Mid-March to accept or decline the offer. 

The problem is that the other schools advertise on their website that they give offers Mid or Early April.  I talked to a few friends, some who study in the programs I am waiting to hear from. Most said that it couldn't hurt to call the schools and explain the situation to prompt a response from the schools I am waiting to hear from.

Does anyone have any insight on this situation or if calling the schools I am waiting to hear from is advisable? Should I try to set up a strategy so that I can make a decision based on more offers/declines. 

Thanks

Edited by ScotchHudgins

Thanks for the clear response. I wasn't sure if it could hurt the process...maybe have one director talk to another school's director and it somehow look negative. I also just wanted to know if other people do this while waiting to prompt a response. 

There's no way they're going to talk to other people about you (well there is a way, but it's unlikely). Doing that might even violate some FERPA thing. You have an acceptance. You're in the driver's seat.

16 minutes ago, missgord said:

i dont think they can require you to reply before april 15

I think that's only if the acceptance is attached to a funding offer. http://cgsnet.org/april-15-resolution

To the OP, you might also consider requesting an extension from the school that accepted you. They may be willing to give you more time. 

Edited by Villain Elle

37 minutes ago, Villain Elle said:

I think that's only if the acceptance is attached to a funding offer. http://cgsnet.org/april-15-resolution

To the OP, you might also consider requesting an extension from the school that accepted you. They may be willing to give you more time. 

agreed on both accounts. i've had people give me extra time. also, you can accept contingent on funding; aka if you get a funding offer from another school, you can back out