Is it worth getting a dual degree in Social Work and Marriage and Family Therapy?

Marleyyy_S

I'm currently trying to decide between two different programs. I have the option of either going to the University at Buffalo for Social Work or Syracuse University for a dual degree in Marriage and Family Therapy and Social work. Syracuse is practically double the cost of going to UB because it is a 3 year program. I really want to work with couples and practice therapy and I am afraid that Social Work is too broad of a focus. Can anyone give me any insight into whether a dual degree is considered when entering the workforce? And comments on Syracuse University? I went to UB for undergrad so I already know the campus and the area. Syracuse would be a new world for me.

I was also admitted to the dual program at Syracuse. My end goal is also therapy practice. I obviously can't give any insight regarding how the program is received when entering the workforce, but after researching both MFT and MSW programs, the allure of the dual program for me is having the ability to find related work while earning supervised hours and building a practice. The cost is really the only reason I am leaning towards attending a more affordable program that I was admitted to. I spoke with the director of the Syracuse MFT program and came away thinking the chances of receiving any more than a few credits worth of scholarship is pretty slim. I am not hearing back from the MSW program as quickly as I would like, but I am guessing the funding offered will be similar. Have you heard anything regarding assistance? 

The director also mentioned that some students find that the program is too expensive/too much work halfway through and decide to only get one of the degrees. That might also be a possibility for you if you start with the MFT and decide the MSW is too much/unnecessary. 

I would love some input on this as well. I'm looking into the dual as well but have the option of going to a much more affordable school for an MHC. 

Are there any current students of the MSW/MFT dual on here?

• 9 months later...

Hi,

I recently applied to the MSW/MFT program at Syracuse University. I was wondering when you heard back from the program because the suspense is killing me!

Thank you,

OP

• 1 month later...

I got an MS in Clinical Psych and then discovered than many jobs, such as those that work with child welfare in any form, require an MS.  My employers sometimes had to get an exception from the state (not always easy to get) for me do what was technically a social work position with an MS/MFTI (MFT Intern.)  Social workers can work in all 50 states and many jobs require an MSW.  I would DEFINITELY do the double degree.

On 2/4/2017 at 4:53 PM, Icecream said:

I got an MS in Clinical Psych and then discovered than many jobs, such as those that work with child welfare in any form, require an MS.  My employers sometimes had to get an exception from the state (not always easy to get) for me do what was technically a social work position with an MS/MFTI (MFT Intern.)  Social workers can work in all 50 states and many jobs require an MSW.  I would DEFINITELY do the double degree.

Thank you for the advice, I really appreciate it!