Where are you going and how much funding did you get?

SidraTariq

Hey I applied to Arizona State University, NYU and Columbia for Masters in Journalism and have been accepted to ASU. No word on funding yet they said they'll get back to me in a few days. Where have you guys applied and received funding from (if any). What external options are there for funding especially for international students (I am one)? Oh and if you got an acceptance letter from any of the three I mentioned, please tell me about it.

I was accepted to an M.S. program in the geography department at Clark University in Worcester. It's 40% funded, at a very expensive school. Still, it's a nice program, and I can see myself really becoming passionate about the work.

I got the notification from Clark about two weeks ago. Then, last Thursday, I got a surprise email from the computer science department at Tufts, inviting me to their accepted students open house. The official offer came the next day: full tuition remission, and an assistantship of about $25,000 paid over nine months. Amazing!

As gratifying as the offer is, that sum is a pittance to live on in the Boston area. I think I can make it work, though -- and I think I'll be quite comfortable if I can do a summer-term programming contract in Boston every year. Just in case I need a loan, though, I think I'm going to submit a FAFSA. (Not an option for international students, I know!)

I haven't accepted the Tufts offer yet. Technically, no program has rejected me yet, but it is getting awfully late for my first choice, Brown, and for the others I applied to. So, I think the Tufts offer will be it.

I'm an international student myself so take what I say with a grain of salt, but I'm fairly sure there are not that many options for funding (internal or external) for MA students, especially in the humanities/social sciences. I would love to be proven wrong on this matter, of course. As for myself, I chose to apply only to those schools which offered internal funding and even then as of now I probably have only one real option (out of 4 acceptances) with regards to financial considerations.

And, well, I wouldn't want to make you worry too much; but Arizona is leading the US on cutting funding for public education so I do think you should be prepared. I was accepted into an MA program in the humanities at the University of Arizona, and they offered me a stipend that is less than half the living wage according to the link of the poster above me. Hopefully the situation at ASU is different, though!

I'm an international student and was accepted to GWU English MA. They gave me a fellowship for 15k USD but the Cost of Attendance is over 50k so... but since this probably is the only school that is going to accept me (I've been rejected from 5 programs thus far with no emails from other schools), I'm pretty sure I'll be attending. 

Too bad there isn't a website for masters. I've been accepted into one school and they don't provide funding the first year. They also can't guarantee funding for the second year. I've asked about certain fellowships being available and I haven't received a response yet. But the department that accepted me has been wonderful and I can see myself doing well there. If only it wasn't so pricey.

21 hours ago, Ambrant said:

I'm an international student myself so take what I say with a grain of salt, but I'm fairly sure there are not that many options for funding (internal or external) for MA students, especially in the humanities/social sciences. I would love to be proven wrong on this matter, of course. As for myself, I chose to apply only to those schools which offered internal funding and even then as of now I probably have only one real option (out of 4 acceptances) with regards to financial considerations.

And, well, I wouldn't want to make you worry too much; but Arizona is leading the US on cutting funding for public education so I do think you should be prepared. I was accepted into an MA program in the humanities at the University of Arizona, and they offered me a stipend that is less than half the living wage according to the link of the poster above me. Hopefully the situation at ASU is different, though!

Hi. Thanks for the info, I am waiting for word from them on funding but this is really helpful to know.

I accepted a joint European doctorate program called ArchSci 2020.  It is split between the Denmark Museum of National History in Copenhagen in the department of GeoGenetics and the University of York in the UK.  I am getting €50,500 per year, plus between €600-1,100 a month in travel benefits.  I also have a full tuition waiver at the schools in where I am attending (double, possible triple PhD when I am done) plus conferences, workshops, and training are all covered by the program.  I also get a free Asus Chromebook and free data storage by Google.  I don't feel bad or nervous about divulging the details of my funding package since they are readily available to anybody who stumbles across the website.

It's a pretty gangster program and I am ecstatic to be a part of it.  Info here: http://www.archsci2020.eu/about

Edited by ChrisTOEFert