Deadline to accept is closing in, but not all University have responded yet.

Kingace

Hi, I have applied to quite a few Masters and PhD in Economics, and so far I have only received two responses, both which were somewhat positive, an admission offer from SFU with a $21,000 scholarship and an admission offer from Bocconi. Now, my problem is that Bocconi expect an answer before March 11th and SFU by then end of the month. I am still waiting for Cornell, UBC, and the University of Zurich (I sent that one very late, like 2-3 weeks ago). I honestly don't know what to do. Should I email them and let them know of my other deadlines (and offers?), and see if they can give me an idea of where my application is at?

What about those two offers, how do these two universities compare? I heard bad things about Milan, how does the quality of life of those two places compare? I should add that I plan on pursuing a Ph.D after I am done with my Masters.

I heard this was unethical and could hurt my chances in future applications (considering I want to apply for a Ph.D later down the road), and Bocconi asks for an initial payment of 2000 euros in order to confirm that I accept their offer. Do you think there would be any way I could request an extension or is that not a thing?

5 minutes ago, rising_star said:

Would you rather attend Bocconi or SFU? If the answer is SFU, then you should decline the offer to go to Bocconi. You don't have to accept SFU yet, you can keep waiting.

I honestly don't know. My end goal would be something along the line of the IMF's economist program, which would be better suited to help me achieve this goal? I would also love to hear feedback from people who have studied in either city.

Instead of emailing the ones that haven't replied yet, would it be better to email the ones that have and request an extension? Is that even a thing? If so, should I email the admission office or the department itself?

You could ask for extensions from the places which have already accepted you. Again, I urge you to consider whether or not you'd accept the offer at all before doing so. If you already know that a school is out of the running, you should decline their offer, rather than dragging it out.

3 minutes ago, rising_star said:

You could ask for extensions from the places which have already accepted you. Again, I urge you to consider whether or not you'd accept the offer at all before doing so. If you already know that a school is out of the running, you should decline their offer, rather than dragging it out.

I obviously wouldn't be asking if I knew the school was out of the running. I just don't want to let me 2nd choice go and end up with my 4-5th choice because I waited for my first choice to reply.

Hi,

I have the same situation here. What I did is to send emails to schools that haven't reply to push a result, which is almost pointless. 5 emails, only Northwestern replied to say results will be there around mid March. I think it may be better to evaluate the possible result yourself and decide whether to keep on waiting or accept an offer first.