Decisions 2016

gughok

47 minutes ago, Schwarzwald said:

FSU is an amazing place, I will forever be kicking myself for declining their generous offer. Just decided on Brandeis, however, it'll take some days before I'm emotionally prepared to celebrate.

See ya in two years, then :P

One thing I noticed is a lot of MA programs (e.g. VTech) offer lots of graduate level survey courses, whereas others offer mostly seminars on particular topics (e.g. FSU). I'm wondering which type of class will put me in a better position to make a good writing sample? I've never taken a graduate seminar before. Survey courses are nice in that they get you thinking about a lot of things and give you good background knowledge, but I'm afraid they don't go in depth enough on any topic to be able to write a novel paper on that topic.

1 hour ago, brush said:

One thing I noticed is a lot of MA programs (e.g. VTech) offer lots of graduate level survey courses, whereas others offer mostly seminars on particular topics (e.g. FSU). I'm wondering which type of class will put me in a better position to make a good writing sample? I've never taken a graduate seminar before. Survey courses are nice in that they get you thinking about a lot of things and give you good background knowledge, but I'm afraid they don't go in depth enough on any topic to be able to write a novel paper on that topic.

Two things for you. First, my understanding is that FSU (shameless plug) will always offer at least one survey course per semester; in Fall '16 it's Early Modern. So you can get that there. Second, having taken plenty of both at this point, I think your intuition is right. I think survey courses are great for background, they often show you all sorts of connections between your pet interests and other issues, they help prep you to teach undergrad-level stuff, and they're often lots of fun. But for starting to develop my own work, I've found it much more helpful to start digging into a specific area or problem in a seminar. Even if it turns out that I hate the area or think it's a non-problem, I learn a lot getting to that point.

Edited by MentalEngineer

2 hours ago, brush said:

From what I can tell, Virginia Tech usually offers a mixture of both. http://www.phil.vt.edu/courses/fall_2016_coursedescriptions_GRAD.pdf

For example, this fall they'll be offering advanced introductions to the philosophy of mind and the philosophy of language. However, they'll also be offering a seminar on David Hume's political philosophy and how it was influenced by Adam Smith.

I suppose we can compare survey courses and seminars on particular topics to swimming in a pool. I prefer to start at the shallow end, dip my big toe in the water and make sure it isn't too cold (i.e., survey courses), then gradually swim to the deep end (seminars on particular topics). However, it's perfectly reasonable to prefer jumping in the deep end of the pool and splashing about a bit. There are virtues to both methods, I suppose.

Survey courses do literally nothing for me. I'd prefer an incredibly deep and focused course on something I'm totally opposed to and know nothing about than a survey of something I'm totally interested in and know nothing about.

That's in general too. If I have a particular desire to produce a good piece of writing at the end, a survey course is not going to help towards that end.

Just accepted an offer from Michigan Ann-Arbor. Declined Cornell wait list and UC-Boulder (fellowship). Really happy (and still a little shocked) to be in at Michigan, but declining Boulder was kind of crushing: everyone there has been so kind and helpful and it seemed like a great program, too.