Are publications needed for admittance to top PhD programs?

lkjpoi

How common is it for PhD applicants to have publications on their CV already? Are publications important to get into a top-ten program? Does it vary by field? Is age or experience relevant? I mean, would a committee be more likely to expect someone older or someone who has a master's degree already to have publications? 

I'd be grateful for any personal experiences, anecdotes, or insights! Thanks.

I know a bunch of people who got into top programs without publications and a bunch who did with publications. I will say this, most of those who did without publications had other experience (teaching, editing, research, etc) and some had at least presented at conferences.

1 minute ago, ashiepoo72 said:

I know a bunch of people who got into top programs without publications and a bunch who did with publications. I will say this, most of those who did without publications had other experience (teaching, editing, research, etc) and some had at least presented at conferences.

I agree.

I can only speak anecdotally, but I definitely think you could with teaching experience. I've met several applicants in various programs that have done really well and have had little else but substantial teaching experience (e.g., formal tutoring or mentoring for years).

1 hour ago, ashiepoo72 said:

I second this, as it is my experience as well.

Short answer: No.   Because you *need* that PhD training to produce excellent publications. 

Long answer: Professors can assess the quality and potential of your scholarship by reading the writing sample.  Polish that until it's so shiny that you need sunglasses.

I'm pleased with how I've done this cycle—three exciting acceptances, one waitlist, and still waiting for a decision from the most competitive program I applied to, as well as those rejections at Princeton and UNC—but I'm starting to get nervous about starting. I don't have a master's degree, and I just noticed that one of the departments I'm considering has a really, really high average percentage of each incoming class enter with an independent MA. And besides, I haven't ever published, or even presented at a conference beyond my old department's undergrad thesis talk day. Yikes! But I've found this thread very reassuring, actually, because my resume has a ton of the "other experience" type things on there. Yay!

@knp I wouldn't worry! I'm someone who started my program with an MA and still haven't published. I definitely had tons of other experience teaching and such, but the work you do in the PhD should prep you and give you the opportunities to publish and present at conferences. Also, I haven't noticed much difference between the people who came in with an MA and those with just a BA, other than most of the MA people having a clearer idea of what they want to write for their dissertation. I'm actually super impressed with my cohort members who only came in with a BA--I wasn't even close to their level when I finished mine, and they're just as smart and committed as the rest of us.

Programs accepted you because you've got what it takes to succeed.

If it makes you feel better I have a publication and everyone is still rejecting me...<_< Jokes aside, though, I think other relevant experiences (research, teaching, conference presentations, etc.) are very helpful. I don't think it's nearly as common for undergrads in history to have publications, as compared to the sciences, for example, and many schools are happy to take students into their PhD programs straight from undergrad. I don't think this would be an option if programs didn't think you had the skills in order to eventually produce good publications, which I think is the important thing. I don't know as much about Master's students, but I know a lot of the TAs (MA and PhD students) that taught me during my undergrad did not yet have publications themselves.

Edited by Danger_Zone