Got an offer, but no mention of funding...

litzzie

Hi, people who are in the know, please help!! I got an offer from UVic yesterday and for the formal acceptance letter today. On the info list of my offer the funding info was listed as 'unknown'. What does it mean? Does it mean 'none'? Or does it mean the department/faculty didn't offer such info so I should contact them directly? Or does it mean I will know later?

I heard that most offers from Canadian unis come with a funding package. If I don't get it at this point does it mean it's likely to be an unfunded offer? 

When I put together my application my potential supervisor mentioned making me his RA if his own funding came through. Does graduate studies admission handle this sort of funding as well? Or it requires me to find out on my own?

Thanks for you input! We have to make up our mind pretty soon as I would either have to go with the PhD or with my husband's job offer, and the job offer won't be around forever. Would really appreciate your thoughts on this! Thanks again!!!

19 hours ago, litzzie said:

Hi, people who are in the know, please help!! I got an offer from UVic yesterday and for the formal acceptance letter today. On the info list of my offer the funding info was listed as 'unknown'. What does it mean? Does it mean 'none'? Or does it mean the department/faculty didn't offer such info so I should contact them directly? Or does it mean I will know later?

I heard that most offers from Canadian unis come with a funding package. If I don't get it at this point does it mean it's likely to be an unfunded offer? 

When I put together my application my potential supervisor mentioned making me his RA if his own funding came through. Does graduate studies admission handle this sort of funding as well? Or it requires me to find out on my own?

Thanks for you input! We have to make up our mind pretty soon as I would either have to go with the PhD or with my husband's job offer, and the job offer won't be around forever. Would really appreciate your thoughts on this! Thanks again!!!

I am currently in a similar situation. I got the offer, but the POI says she is working on getting me funding. Since, I have not received an official admission letter, I am hopeful that the funding comes through. 

7 hours ago, Nirvik said:

I am currently in a similar situation. I got the offer, but the POI says she is working on getting me funding. Since, I have not received an official admission letter, I am hopeful that the funding comes through. 

Good luck to you, Nirvik. My POI confirmed his funding application didn't come through. But he said he would continue to apply for fundings in summer and fall. It's just that RA-ship is probably out of question at this point. I wonder if there's still possibility of funding coming my way between now and September....

16 hours ago, MathCat said:

You should just ask them. This is especially important if you have time constraints with your husband's job offer.

I did, MathCat. They replied really quickly. Funding isn't available at the moment but the secretary gave me a bunch of deadlines between now and September. I know it isn't a lot of info for you to work on but do you think I should give it a go and try to get funding along the way? Would appreciate your input. Thanks.

16 hours ago, litzzie said:

Good luck to you, Nirvik. My POI confirmed his funding application didn't come through. But he said he would continue to apply for fundings in summer and fall. It's just that RA-ship is probably out of question at this point. I wonder if there's still possibility of funding coming my way between now and September....

My POI said that the funding evaluation results would be declared by mid-September. Classes usually start by September 21. So, being hopeful that it comes through. Although, I do have to get working on possible self funding. 

I think it's a choice you and your husband have to make. There is a real risk that if he passes up the job offer, you could still end up with no funding. Is that a risk the two of you are willing to take? I can't answer that.

On 18 March 2016 at 4:04 PM, MathCat said:

I think it's a choice you and your husband have to make. There is a real risk that if he passes up the job offer, you could still end up with no funding. Is that a risk the two of you are willing to take? I can't answer that.

Yes, you are right. It's a huge risk to take. I think the choice is pretty obvious...thanks!!!!

18 hours ago, rising_star said:

I would be incredibly nervous about that decision and, in your situation, would probably go with the job offer. A bird in hand is better than two in the bush, as they say.

Yes, rising_star! The husband is offered an attractive enough package, and he isn't willing to pass that up. Fair enough...I guess I will discuss with the prof and look into deferment. Thanks for your input!

I'm not sure if you have found out if you are actually funded or not yet. Too bad, the letter is suppose to clear everything up, not confuse everyone! It seems like grad schools like to use convoluted language instead of being very straightforward.  Tbh I would go with your husband's offer if it is unfunded. Btw long distance is pretty awful, so be prepared! My boyfriend and I only did it for around 6 months and we decided we won't do that again.

On 19 March 2016 at 8:59 PM, Need Coffee in an IV said:

I'm not sure if you have found out if you are actually funded or not yet. Too bad, the letter is suppose to clear everything up, not confuse everyone! It seems like grad schools like to use convoluted language instead of being very straightforward.  Tbh I would go with your husband's offer if it is unfunded. Btw long distance is pretty awful, so be prepared! My boyfriend and I only did it for around 6 months and we decided we won't do that again.

I agree, Need Coffee in an IV! If it was just the two of us I guess we could handle, but with a child in tow it is a lot more complicated...certainly don't want her to see her Daddy only over the holidays... :(

4 hours ago, litzzie said:

I agree, Need Coffee in an IV! If it was just the two of us I guess we could handle, but with a child in tow it is a lot more complicated...certainly don't want her to see her Daddy only over the holidays... :(

Everyone's family is different but I can tell you about my family. I'm now 22 and out of my whole life my parents have lived together (in the same house) for 2 years. Even now that my dad is retired, he lives in Florida while my mom is working in DC. Everyone assumes my parents are divorced but they are happily married! I turned out ok! But just know if being long distance is whats best, that doesnt make you a bad parent.