Fall 2017 Applicants

To weigh in on retaking the GREs, my MA cohort was told (by someone with considerable experience/authority in PhD admissions) that every single one of us planning to apply to PhD programs should retake both the general and the lit GRE. They emphasized that having had more time to prepare, our scores can only improve and bolster our application.

That being said—I'm not going to retake either exam. I scored highly enough (high 90s on verbal/analytical and just below 90 on the subject test) that I would rather dedicate that time/money to other aspects of my application where I feel my increased attention could have a greater impact.

Hi guys, I have a question for you. Do you think someone with an M.A. degree from a Czech university would stand a chance to get accepted into a US based Ph.D. program? My research has mostly to do with computational narratology and I've been looking at some relevant mid-tier programs, but the odds seem to be against me. Do you think sending out half a dozen applications is worth the shot?

Edited by Naffster

1 hour ago, Naffster said:

Hi guys, I have a question for you. Do you think someone with an M.A. degree from a Czech university would stand a chance to get accepted into a US based Ph.D. program? My research has mostly to do with computational narratology and I've been looking at some relevant mid-tier programs, but the odds seem to be against me. Do you think sending out half a dozen applications is worth the shot?

I don't see why not. One of the eight Ph.D. candidates in my cohort has his degree(s) (not sure if it's just B.A. or if it's B.A. and M.A.) from Greece, and he is very theory-oriented. Another has her M.A. from Japan, and she is immersed in digital humanities. Both have fairly strong accents...and both are very much loved by faculty and fellow students alike! In other words, while I can't speak for other programs, I can definitely assure you that at least some institutions have no issue whatsoever with accepting applicants with foreign degrees.

Not trying to sell you on UMD, but computational narratology sounds like a focus that would fit right in here, given the strength of our digital humanities department and the presence of MITH...

Either way, I would say sending out applications IS worth the shot.

10 minutes ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

I don't see why not. One of the eight Ph.D. candidates in my cohort has his degree(s) (not sure if it's just B.A. or if it's B.A. and M.A.) from Greece, and he is very theory-oriented. Another has her M.A. from Japan, and she is immersed in digital humanities. Both have fairly strong accents...and both are very much loved by faculty and fellow students alike! In other words, while I can't speak for other programs, I can definitely assure you that at least some institutions have no issue whatsoever with accepting applicants with foreign degrees.

Not trying to sell you on UMD, but computational narratology sounds like a focus that would fit right in here, given the strength of our digital humanities department and the presence of MITH...

Either way, I would say sending out applications IS worth the shot.

Awesome, that's really encouraging, thank you :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everybody :)

I'll be applying this coming fall as well. During my first round, I applied to about 17 schools fresh out of undergrad. I had NO idea what I was doing lol, but I am happy that I got into a fully funded MA program which I'll be graduating from next May. I plan on applying to about 15-16 PhD programs this coming fall :)

On 4/18/2016 at 11:09 PM, victoriansimpkins said:

My only problem is I cannot seem to get a high score on the verbal. Does anyone have any suggestions on strengthening this part? 

I got a 170 on the GRE Verbal. I second the Magoosh flash cards, though they are limited. Barrons has a 1,500 word list that I worked through over a period of about two months, just marking all of the words I didn't already know and testing and retesting myself. Vocabulary, I feel, is a huge part of the test, so if you can go in there knowing just about every word on the test (and you probably will if you do the Barrons with the Magoosh--I only didn't know one word, if I recall, but that didn't matter because I chose it by process of elimination knowing the other words), you should be good to go.

With that said, Barrons had BY FAR the most difficult question sets and reading comprehensions passages. I used them thinking it was going to be a really tough test. Then I picked up the ETS and Kaplan books because they were available to me for free through the university I work for--the passages from Barrons were written like theoretical physics articles authored by Judith Butler and the other books' passages were like James Patterson blurbs in comparison. The actual GRE test was more like the latter having worked through the Barrons. Get the Barrons GRE Verbal Workbook. 

Also, we're already good at reading complex and dense passages because we like to read literature and literary theory. But comma statistically, the folks who do the best on the GRE verbal are the philosophy majors-- and this makes sense because they're typically reading even more complex stuff. The more you read the quicker you'll be able to unpack things like purpose and thesis in this type of dense material.

Edited by TomJones678

On 4/24/2016 at 9:41 AM, Naffster said:

Do you think someone with an M.A. degree from a Czech university would stand a chance to get accepted into a US based Ph.D. program?

Yes. Apply to schools with the cash to fund you well as an international student (i.e., contact current international students at places you're interested in).

On 4/24/2016 at 9:41 AM, Naffster said:

My research has mostly to do with computational narratology and I've been looking at some relevant mid-tier programs, but the odds seem to be against me. Do you think sending out half a dozen applications is worth the shot?

Yes. Computational-anything is valuable, and growing. Many schools are investing in this kind of work. Look into places that are good for Digital Humanities, like Stanford and UChicago. Don't limit yourself because you're international, apply to places where people are doing the kind of work you want to do and apply to places with the money to invest in you (you're international, so you cost more to fund equally, but you do humanities computing, which is a growing field that people are willing to pour money into).

Hi everyone! I've lurked a lot and never posted but figured since I'm planning on applying this fall (still sounds weird to say this...) I'd make a post. :) I'm planning on studying science fiction and will be applying to a mix of MA/PhD programs so if anyone has any suggestions, do let me know! 

Also, I had a question about foreign language requirements and was wondering if any of you might have an answer. I haven't taken a foreign language class in undergrad but I took a French placement exam when I first started college and placed into intermediate French (basically the equivalent of two years worth of study at my school). I don't know if this would be included on my transcript when I apply to grad programs.

Do you all think that having a lack of foreign language courses on a transcript would be a weak point? I might put on my CV that I have reading knowledge of French but my French is pretty rusty at this point so I don't know how accurate that would be. But I also don't want to not put French on my CV and have programs think I don't have any foreign language experience because I think if I brushed up on my French intensively for a month or two, I could get re-gain a lot of knowledge pretty quickly. Sorry if I'm totally overthinking this haha....

5 hours ago, RydraWong said:

Also, I had a question about foreign language requirements and was wondering if any of you might have an answer. I haven't taken a foreign language class in undergrad but I took a French placement exam when I first started college and placed into intermediate French (basically the equivalent of two years worth of study at my school). I don't know if this would be included on my transcript when I apply to grad programs.

Do you all think that having a lack of foreign language courses on a transcript would be a weak point? I might put on my CV that I have reading knowledge of French but my French is pretty rusty at this point so I don't know how accurate that would be. But I also don't want to not put French on my CV and have programs think I don't have any foreign language experience because I think if I brushed up on my French intensively for a month or two, I could get re-gain a lot of knowledge pretty quickly. Sorry if I'm totally overthinking this haha....

Hello Rydra...and welcome!

I suspect the answer will vary by program (which is something you'll hear an awful lot here, unfortunately) in terms of what constitutes "knowing" a foreign language. Some programs will require transcript-based proof, while many (most) will want a translation test if there is no compelling evidence of your background in a language.

For my own part, I took a four-course sequence of Spanish in my first two years, and got A's...but I have very little grounding in Spanish. I will still claim reading knowledge (which is mostly true), and will simply hope that the coursework will be enough to satisfy one language, because proving it might be a bit problematic.

As for whether it's a "weak point," it's hard to say, and is probably dependent on your field to some extent. Since you are firmly in the 20th century, it's probably not too big of a deal. For an early modernist like myself, not having Italian and/or Latin and/or French might raise an eyebrow, but I'm still confident that it's not a toss-out-the-application concern.

Rydra Wong is a dope username.

And I think Wyatt's right. My inclination is that it won't be the focus of your application, though it can't hurt to mention it on your CV and brush up so you can take a reading exam to fulfill a language requirement once you're in. My program just emphasizes reading knowledge, and many C20 people don't enter with a foreign language here (tbh they're often the loudest complainers about the requirement, though :p).

You could consider picking up Karl Sandberg's French For Reading (ISBN: 978-0133316032) if you want to brush up on reading academic French.

Naffster, which Czech university did you study at? For anyone who knows it, Charles University will have a great reputation. In my experience, the students graduating from Charles University in English are actually (far) more knowledgeable than students graduating from US programs. If you're graduating from Charles University, I wouldn't aim strictly at mid-tier. Maybe check out which programs your professors are connected with--through visiting professorships, etc.--so that the schools likely know of the university. Also, it might be worth mentioning in your statement of purpose that it was great to study at the university that produced Wellek and Mukarovsky.

I know that Palackeho and Masarykova have good reputations as well, but they will probably not have the cachet that Charles has.

I never took a language class in college or during my MA, but I am listing the languages I am a novice or proficient at on my CV.

Edited by BlackRosePhD

Hello all. I've applied to MFAs for before and only managed to get wait-listed, then ultimately rejected. A good talk with one of the program directors actually nudged me more toward my MA or PhD in the field instead. I'm in the research phase now and am struggling to find schools that meet the elusive "fit" requirement. I'm most interested in UFL's Comics & Visual Rhetoric track. One of my mentors/recommendation letter writers went there for both his MA and PhD, so I think I have a good shot. That is the only school I am 100% definitely applying to. [edited for clarity]

Edited by QuercusV

19 hours ago, QuercusV said:

Hello all. I've applied to MFAs for before and only managed to get wait-listed, then ultimately rejected. A good talk with one of the program directors actually nudged me more toward my MA or PhD in the field instead. I'm in the research phase now and am struggling to find schools that meet the elusive "fit" requirement. I'm most interested in UFL's Comics & Visual Rhetoric track. One of my mentors/recommendation letter writers went there for both his MA and PhD, so I think I have a good shot. That is the only school I am 100% definitely applying to. [edited for clarity]

What do you want to do after grad school? I like the program at Florida, at least, as far as their production goes, but they have an awful placement rate, from what I understand.

19 hours ago, QuercusV said:

I'm only stumbling in here, but @bhr, you might check out this thread. You might find a few suggestions in it.

@Neist thank you so much! That thread looks very helpful. Honestly, looking at that thread makes me realize I should probably look at programs that are more pedagogy-minded since that is my end goal. 

@bhr I would most like to teach. Do you mean the placement rate out of the specific program is awful, or just their PhD placement rate in general? 

52 minutes ago, QuercusV said:

@Neist thank you so much! That thread looks very helpful. Honestly, looking at that thread makes me realize I should probably look at programs that are more pedagogy-minded since that is my end goal. 

I'd look into BGSU's pop culture MA then. I was either going to attend that program or the one I choose (in the sig). They have amazing pedagogical training. The first semester you serve as a TA, and the remainder three semesters you're an instructor of record. I cannot think of many programs that provide that much teaching experience at an MA level. They also fund every accepted applicant, or they did as of this year and many previous. It's not a large stipend, but Bowling Green is a pretty cheap place to live. It's sufficient if one's frugal. They also have the third largest comic collection in the United States. :) 

I visited the program last fall, and I have nothing but positive things to say about it. It was a difficult decision choosing between the two programs that I did. If I didn't have a wife and daughter, I might have chosen BGSU.

@QuercusV, if yr goal is to teach at the university level, you should consider PhD programs which have higher rankings (yada yada US News doesn't designate quality yada yada). In terms of faculty, Chicago has a lot of people working in visual culture and a major person in comics. 

Thank you all for your thoughtful responses to my foreign language question (and for complimenting my username; Rydra Wong is a pretty dope person :3). I'll add it to my CV and see if I'll have time to brush up on French this summer. 

Also @QuercusV if you're interested in studying comic books, you might check out Ramzi Fawaz at UW-Madison. He just published a book about X-Men and American comic books in general. 

• 2 weeks later...

Doing an odd combination of applications to English depts. and Comm depts. this season. Looking at MA, MA/Phd, Phd programs, only have a BA (well technically 2). Background in Rhetoric and Literature. Been out of school for a year (2 total when starting programs) working as a corporate trainer. Excited to see how the process goes and have some folks to talk about it with.

English Depts: UCDavis, Ohio State, Michigan, Miami (OH), U of South Carolina

Comm Depts: Georgia, U of Texas, Northwestern, Michigan State (WRAC), U of North Carolina, Wake Forest

5 hours ago, kirbs005 said:

Doing an odd combination of applications to English depts. and Comm depts. this season. Looking at MA, MA/Phd, Phd programs, only have a BA (well technically 2). Background in Rhetoric and Literature. Been out of school for a year (2 total when starting programs) working as a corporate trainer. Excited to see how the process goes and have some folks to talk about it with.

English Depts: UCDavis, Ohio State, Michigan, Miami (OH), U of South Carolina

Comm Depts: Georgia, U of Texas, Northwestern, Michigan State (WRAC), U of North Carolina, Wake Forest

Let's be very clear here. When you say COMM, what do you mean? I ask, because WRAC is most definitely not a Communications department (and isn't even located in the Comm Arts College). What are you actually trying to accomplish with this degree? OSU/UNC/UT have r/c programs located inside English departments, for example, while Davis and UM both have great English/Ed style programs.

16 hours ago, bhr said:

Let's be very clear here. When you say COMM, what do you mean? I ask, because WRAC is most definitely not a Communications department (and isn't even located in the Comm Arts College). What are you actually trying to accomplish with this degree? OSU/UNC/UT have r/c programs located inside English departments, for example, while Davis and UM both have great English/Ed style programs.

Rhetoric specifically, more focused on the comm side than the composition side, however I still find that interesting. I've spoken many times with my thesis professor about different programs and what she recommended as good fits. I guess I'm also just used to referring to it as comm since many folks look at me funny when I say rhetoric or immediately ask me what that is.

As to MSU I'm looking more at WRAC because their comm arts department is more social science/psych based, or health based. I have a friend there who advised WRAC or their English department for Rhetoric.

Edited by kirbs005

21 hours ago, kirbs005 said:

Rhetoric specifically, more focused on the comm side than the composition side, however I still find that interesting. I've spoken many times with my thesis professor about different programs and what she recommended as good fits. I guess I'm also just used to referring to it as comm since many folks look at me funny when I say rhetoric or immediately ask me what that is.

As to MSU I'm looking more at WRAC because their comm arts department is more social science/psych based, or health based. I have a friend there who advised WRAC or their English department for Rhetoric.

gotcha. It's good to be clear on this stuff. DM me if you have questions about WRAC

Thanks for the reminder, Wyatt! I've made a spreadsheet to keep track of app due dates, the differing writing sample lengths for each program, GRE test dates, etc and everything is starting to feel so overwhelming. :o I have a feeling dealing with school this fall quarter + finishing up apps is going to be very, very hectic and now I'm wondering why I didn't just take everyone's advice and do a gap year instead...

Also, I'm wondering how you all are going about emailing professors and different programs? I'm putting the finishing touches on my list of schools and there are a few that /might/ be a fit and I'm thinking of emailing some professors and asking them how they think the program would align with my interests. Has anyone here done that yet or can anyone speak to the usefulness of doing that?