Fall 2017 Applicants

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what the deal is at Columbia with the English/Comparative lit division? From previous posts people have indicated applications are considered separately, depending on if you put comparative lit as your subfield, but I listed a Prof who has had her career in comparative as my POI whereas my subfield is the nineteenth century Anglophone novel. I mean, I don't personally see why this would be a problem intellectual, but now I'm worried my app may fall between the cracks...

I'm overcoming irrational social (/online?) anxiety to make my first forum post!!  

Coming to seek advice about calling UCSB -- people have heard rejections & acceptances yet I've heard nothing! Stalking the forums I see that previous people who've heard nothing called to find they were waitlisted...do y'all reckon I should I do this?  Notifications only went out yesterday.  It's one of my top choices and I feel like the fit is great so I'm dying over here! (Also...what is the protocol for making such calls? I'm so out of my element...O

1 minute ago, eliza_winter said:

I'm overcoming irrational social (/online?) anxiety to make my first forum post!!  

Coming to seek advice about calling UCSB -- people have heard rejections & acceptances yet I've heard nothing! Stalking the forums I see that previous people who've heard nothing called to find they were waitlisted...do y'all reckon I should I do this?  Notifications only went out yesterday.  It's one of my top choices and I feel like the fit is great so I'm dying over here! (Also...what is the protocol for making such calls? I'm so out of my element...O

I'd advise against contacting them. Admissions committees are extremely busy with other tasks and it can be seen as a huge turnoff from programs to be contacted inquiring about status updates.

12 hours ago, Caien said:

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what the deal is at Columbia with the English/Comparative lit division? From previous posts people have indicated applications are considered separately, depending on if you put comparative lit as your subfield, but I listed a Prof who has had her career in comparative as my POI whereas my subfield is the nineteenth century Anglophone novel. I mean, I don't personally see why this would be a problem intellectual, but now I'm worried my app may fall between the cracks...

Hi, I have no idea how the ad com itself works here (or anywhere else -__-), but from my experience doing an MA at Columbia, I would say that English and Comp. Lit is very much one department. I'm pretty sure that the extent of being a comp. lit student here is fulfilling ICLS requirements and getting a certificate, so I think what happens if you mark Comp. as one of your subfields is they make sure to send your application to a professor who is part of ICLS. But many professors and students who aren't part of ICLS still do comparative work, and I can't imagine that there would be a problem with naming a professor whose main interests lie in comp. lit as a POI even if you're not taking that approach. Please feel free to PM me for details if you'd like. Given what you said, I think I have an idea of which professor you may have named, and if it's who I'm thinking, you have nothing to worry about.

From what I gathered from email exchanges between the dpt of Columbia's English and Comparative Literature, when I thought I'd apply to their program, they consider that all English programs today are tending towards being interdisciplinary. I may have over-interpreted but that's at least what they're aiming at!

46 minutes ago, Warelin said:

On the bright side, by this time next year; you'll be enrolled in a PHD program while you watch me struggle with waiting for decisions. This year off of applications hasn't kept me away from TGC. 

If I stick around GradCafe for the next cycle, I'll be your absolute biggest cheerleader -- count on it!

(Oh, and I already have a new user name and avatar pic in mind for when this cycle is over ;))

5 minutes ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

(Oh, and I already have a new user name and avatar pic in mind for when this cycle is over ;))

Can't wait to see that and to follow all of your posts as a Ph.D. student! 

28 minutes ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

If I stick around GradCafe for the next cycle, I'll be your absolute biggest cheerleader -- count on it!

Aww. Thanks =)

I have your avatar pic so associated with you that I forgot it's a tribute to Testudo. It will be interesting to see you sport a new avatar and name.

3 minutes ago, Warelin said:

Aww. Thanks =)

I have your avatar pic so associated with you that I forgot it's a tribute to Testudo. It will be interesting to see you sport a new avatar and name.

Indeed! I last changed my user name and profile pic when I decided on UMD (so a little under two years ago), and since I'll no longer be a "Terp," a change seems welcome. I'll likely leave an "FKA" in my sig line. For archival reasons, of course. :P

I know this is a silly, anxious question but I just checked my JHU portal and my application has said "application submitted" since I submitted in December and now in addition it says "Applicant Complete" in bright green. Do you think this means they've rejected me and will email the decision shortly?

46 minutes ago, waitinwishin said:

I know this is a silly, anxious question but I just checked my JHU portal and my application has said "application submitted" since I submitted in December and now in addition it says "Applicant Complete" in bright green. Do you think this means they've rejected me and will email the decision shortly?

Or could it be that they just reviewed your application and checked the "all documents here" box while they make a decision?

Ha! Just received my no-no from Cornell. It really is good to know. A little surprised they notified before NYU, though!

Edited by Yanaka

2 hours ago, Yanaka said:

Ha! Just received my no-no from Cornell. It really is good to know. A little surprised they notified before NYU, though!

:( I'm glad you feel well tho. I'm waiting impatiently for news from them.