Fall 2017 Applicants

4 minutes ago, Yanaka said:

Yes I know, @Warelin :) The question is: since I'm not majoring in English, do you think my present scores can help my application?

My personal rule of thumb is that if you don't have great scores, don't send them if they're optional. Four or five of the programs I applied to said the GRE subject test was recommended / optional, but not required. Since I had a decent, but not good or great score, I didn't send it to any of those programs. I figure there's no sense giving them a substandard metric to judge me by when they don't actually require it...

Your scores are a bit below those of the average applicant, so I would hold off on sending them. They may not hurt you, but by the same token, they won't help you.

5 minutes ago, Yanaka said:

Yes I know, @Warelin :) The question is: since I'm not majoring in English, do you think my present scores can help my application?

UMB tends to pride itself on the diversity of its students coming from a variety of backgrounds including foreign universities. As a result, I don't think submitting scores will help your application.

2 minutes ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

Your scores are a bit below those of the average applicant, so I would hold off on sending them. They may not hurt you, but by the same token, they won't help you.

Thanks! That's the kind of answer I was looking for. I'll keep them to myself then, and probably edit them out once I've applied in case there are spies on the forum :P 

2 minutes ago, Warelin said:

UMB tends to pride itself on the diversity of its students coming from a variety of backgrounds including foreign universities. As a result, I don't think submitting scores will help your application.

Cool! Ah, thank goodness for this forum :) It will also save me the $$!

7 hours ago, Yanaka said:

Me again!

I didn't know where to post this, but I need as many honest answers possible. I am going to apply to a few MA programs whose deadlines have not passed yet and submitting my GRE scores is not mandatory for some of them. Would you consider that a ~155V ~140Q and 4.5 AWA can hurt my application? Since I'm doing my BA in a French university and will not have an English major, I am debating whether my GRE can help show that I'll be comfortable with studying English or if, on the contrary, they're not good enough to be submitted and might tank my file. What do you (very candidly) think?

Hi there,

First, it might not matter at all. Some departments have caught onto the whole ETS racket and don't subscribe to the idea that future English major success can be measured by multiple choice. A surprising amount of admittance committee members that I spoke to suggested that they did not even look at the GRE when an applicant's Writing Sample, SoP, and Letters paint a much clearer picture.

Second, your Verbal is slightly below average and your Written is average (depending on the program of course). If your goal is to show that you are a competitive applicant for an English program, these scores don't do that. I don't think that they will hurt you overmuch, but I wouldn't offer them up if it's optional. Focus on your Writing Sample and Statement of Purpose to show the admissions boards that, even though your BA is in another subject, you are a fantastic candidate for their English program.

Good luck with the next round of deadlines! You'll find the right place.

Edit: Basically what wyatt's_terps said

Edited by fuzzylogician
Edited quoted post for privacy

7 hours ago, Yanaka said:

Me again!

I didn't know where to post this, but I need as many honest answers possible. I am going to apply to a few MA programs whose deadlines have not passed yet and submitting my GRE scores is not mandatory for some of them. Would you consider that a ~155V ~140Q and 4.5 AWA can hurt my application? Since I'm doing my BA in a French university and will not have an English major, I am debating whether my GRE can help show that I'll be comfortable with studying English or if, on the contrary, they're not good enough to be submitted and might tank my file. What do you (very candidly) think?

Sending good vibes your way! I agree with everyone else. I avoided submitting any scores if they weren't required, though I do think that more schools (as @positivitize mentioned) are understanding of standardized testing B.S. So, even for those schools that require them, don't feel as though it will eliminate your chances either for an MA.

Edited by fuzzylogician
Edited quoted post for privacy

8 hours ago, Yanaka said:

Me again!

Hey, just offering a different perspective here: I know at this point you may not be able to retake the GRE, but I know certain MA programs use those scores to determine funding. That may only be true for those schools which require GRE scores, but it may be something to consider.

Bonne chance! ?

10 minutes ago, anxiousgrad said:

Hey, just offering a different perspective here: I know at this point you may not be able to retake the GRE, but I know certain MA programs use those scores to determine funding. That may only be true for those schools which require GRE scores, but it may be something to consider.

Bonne chance! ?

I'll bear that info in mind! I think it's smarter for me not to divulge them unless it's mandatory, and I highly doubt my current scores give me access to any special financial consideration.

Edited by Yanaka

@Silabus Hey there. I just got confirmation through back channels that initial offers have been made. I was also told that since I haven't heard anything (and haven't been rejected yet) it means that I am on the waiting list. It sounds like you might be too! I know you and I were talking about that in the UW-Madison thread, but it seemed more appropriate to continue the Indiana talk here. 

fc2fca5cc8833d35c92822a6af386914480a4e7c2411a6329d9742eb6bc89110.jpg

Edited by positivitize

Does anyone have any insider info on UC Davis and whether they're still sending out notifications? I've only seen four acceptances on the board and no wait-lists. Do they even have a wait-list? At what point do I start emailing and begging them to put me out of my misery? ;)

44 minutes ago, orphic_mel528 said:

Does anyone have any insider info on UC Davis and whether they're still sending out notifications? I've only seen four acceptances on the board and no wait-lists. Do they even have a wait-list? At what point do I start emailing and begging them to put me out of my misery? ;)

omg please let us know if you do contact them! I'm dying to know the same thing. I'm assuming rejection at this point, but having a final answer would be such a relief!

3 minutes ago, urbanfarmer said:

omg please let us know if you do contact them! I'm dying to know the same thing. I'm assuming rejection at this point, but having a final answer would be such a relief!

That's how I feel, and I'm okay with the rejection. I've been harping about this for a week, although I guess that's what this place is for. I'd just like some closure so I can move on. I'm afraid to email them though; I don't want to be that person...

34 minutes ago, orphic_mel528 said:

I'm afraid to email them though; I don't want to be that person...

Probably wise.

I've said it around these parts a few times lately, but despite the temptation to contact departments about application statuses, it's probably one of the most annoying things you can do right now. It is hard to be patient, but if there's one thing you can be assured of it's that programs will let you know if you've been accepted (and usually, albeit more tardily, if you've been rejected...)

10 minutes ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

Probably wise.

I've said it around these parts a few times lately, but despite the temptation to contact departments about application statuses, it's probably one of the most annoying things you can do right now. It is hard to be patient, but if there's one thing you can be assured of it's that programs will let you know if you've been accepted (and usually, albeit more tardily, if you've been rejected...)

Thank you, Jiminy Cricket. As usual, you're correct :)

3 hours ago, orphic_mel528 said:

I have no idea what this means, but I finally got info on their visiting day and there were 21 email addresses (including mine) attached to the email. That leads me to assume that they've finished sending out notifications by now, unless they have a waitlist going and are just waiting to see if anyone turns down an offer ?

I applied there last year.  I saw acceptances go out fairly early, and I remember emailing them for info on my application after it had been a few weeks.  I went back to check, and it looks like I emailed their program on March 1 and exchanged very nice emails with the DGS, who said I was rejected. Their official rejection ended up being sent around suuuuper late, so I was kind of glad I emailed.  But also, it was already a likely rejection so I could have just waited.  But I wanted to also make sure there was no shot at getting in to higher ranked programs before accepting any of my offers, so I think weighing what the information would mean in the context of your own application season and decision-making process would be helpful before emailing anyone.   

19 minutes ago, imogenshakes said:

I have no idea what this means, but I finally got info on their visiting day and there were 21 email addresses (including mine) attached to the email. That leads me to assume that they've finished sending out notifications by now, unless they have a waitlist going and are just waiting to see if anyone turns down an offer ?

Thanks for the info, I'm actually really glad to have more of an indication, actually. 

4 minutes ago, HumanCylinder said:

I applied there last year.  I saw acceptances go out fairly early, and I remember emailing them for info on my application after it had been a few weeks.  I went back to check, and it looks like I emailed their program on March 1 and exchanged very nice emails with the DGS, who said I was rejected. Their official rejection ended up being sent around suuuuper late, so I was kind of glad I emailed.  But also, it was already a likely rejection so I could have just waited.  But I wanted to also make sure there was no shot at getting in to higher ranked programs before accepting any of my offers, so I think weighing what the information would mean in the context of your own application season and decision-making process would be helpful before emailing anyone.   

Sorry, should've multi-quoted this: Thank you HumanCylinder, that's very good advice. 

In my email from the DGS, they did say to let them know if we come to a firm decision before April 15 because they do keep a waitlist so maybe they just haven't sent out waitlist notifications yet? Like Imogenshakes said, they did send out an email today with all the visiting information so I think they may have finished sending out acceptances. 

5 hours ago, RydraWong said:

In my email from the DGS, they did say to let them know if we come to a firm decision before April 15 because they do keep a waitlist so maybe they just haven't sent out waitlist notifications yet? Like Imogenshakes said, they did send out an email today with all the visiting information so I think they may have finished sending out acceptances. 

Oh yeah, I forgot about that part of the email. I've been barely skimming, just for the most pertinent information. haha At any rate, I only heard about a week ago, so with the whole trickling-effect thing going on at a lot of schools, it seems possible that they just haven't notified people on the waitlist yet (also, you'd think you'd see at least one on the results page if they had...though who knows?).

I tried to post this yesterday but I think the site was down. Happy late Valentine's Day to all ye GC dreamers and romantics! I hope your day was full of things you love, whether a person or a pizza or a poem that fills up your tired, anxious heart. In times like this, it's so important to take care of yourself and pause to recognize all the wonderful things in your life. Yesterday I thought a lot about the ways poetry and literature engender empathy and love. That everyone on this forum wants to dedicate their life to the study of it speaks volumes about your character and I'm proud to know you all. 

In recognition of love day, a favorite Poe quote of mine:

"I was never really insane except upon occasions when my heart was touched."

Edited by LouisePlease

9 minutes ago, LouisePlease said:

I tried to post this yesterday but I think the site was down. Happy late Valentine's Day to all ye GC dreamers and romantics! I hope your day was filled with things you love, whether a person or a pizza or a poem that fills up your tired, anxious heart. In times like this, it's so important to take care of yourself and pause to recognize all the wonderful things in your life. Yesterday I thought a lot about the ways poetry and literature engender empathy and love. That everyone on this forum wants to dedicate their life to the study of it speaks volumes about your character and I'm proud to know you all. 

I wish I could give this a million upvotes. 

18 minutes ago, LouisePlease said:

I tried to post this yesterday but I think the site was down. Happy late Valentine's Day to all ye GC dreamers and romantics! I hope your day was filled with things you love, whether a person or a pizza or a poem that fills up your tired, anxious heart. In times like this, it's so important to take care of yourself and pause to recognize all the wonderful things in your life. Yesterday I thought a lot about the ways poetry and literature engender empathy and love. That everyone on this forum wants to dedicate their life to the study of it speaks volumes about your character and I'm proud to know you all. 

Louise, you treasure. 

37 minutes ago, LouisePlease said:

Whether you're male or female, I would have wanted you as my Valentine's

i wish i could just tag you and hug you for this amazing heartfelt and warmly posivite post!!

you deserve the best!! <3 <3