Fall 2017 Applicants

14 hours ago, Sunsy said:

Congrats @Caien and @loganondorf! And thanks, Wyatt! I'll be there on the 10th as well, so feel free to PM me as well Caien. Judging from your signature, we have somewhat similar interests, even though I'm by no means applying for the same things you are.  

Thanks Sunsy! You mean similar theoretical interests? Or are you an Irish medievalist?

Though I compulsively study the results board like John Forbes Nash Jr, I'm having trouble coming to a definitive timeline for waitlist results. Some schools seem to send them out with acceptances, some much later, and still others don't have any (at least on gradcafe). 

Anyone have that inside info on this? Do most schools have wait lists? Does a pending status always spell d-i-s-a-s-t-e-r??

Thoughts appreciated,

Dramatic in Los Angeles

30 minutes ago, LouisePlease said:

Anyone have that inside info on this? Do most schools have wait lists? Does a pending status always spell d-i-s-a-s-t-e-r??

I would also love to hear any inside info anyone may have!

22 hours ago, Caien said:

I'm actually earlier - they've asked for this week or next week. I might drop you a PM after the visit weekend to get your impressions?

By all means, please do. And good luck with your Skype interview this week!

22 hours ago, Sunsy said:

Congrats @Caien and @loganondorf! And thanks, Wyatt! I'll be there on the 10th as well, so feel free to PM me as well Caien. Judging from your signature, we have somewhat similar interests, even though I'm by no means applying for the same things you are.  

Thanks, @Sunsy -- best of luck to you on the 10th!

Really sorry for all of the OSU rejections. That's the inevitable crappy backswing of elation over acceptances -- watching some great people (and yes, even through an Internet forum I can tell you're great people) get edged out. Here's hoping there's good news on the non-Ohio horizon!

Major congrats to all the acceptances, interviews, and waitlists that have been posted this week!

And solidarity to others who are still hoping for some good news... I still technically have several programs to hear from, but after two discouraging rejections (and silence from another three programs that have had some activity on the boards), it can be a struggle not to feel like I'm already shut out.

4 hours ago, anxiousgrad said:

My OSU rejection is official. 

Candidate with an MA, if that info helps anyone.

I'm sorry for your bad news. My rejection is official too and my pride is crushed. I have a 4.0 MA, pretty sure my professors didn't write anything but the nicest things about me, and my contemporary poetry teacher told me my writing sample was top notch. I'm now anxious and wondering what's wrong with my application package? All the schools I applied to are OSU caliber or higher, and I'm starting to fear I'll be shut out completely. 

16 minutes ago, erosanddust said:

Major congrats to all the acceptances, interviews, and waitlists that have been posted this week!

And solidarity to others who are still hoping for some good news... I still technically have several programs to hear from, but after two discouraging rejections (and silence from another three programs that have had some activity on the boards), it can be a struggle not to feel like I'm already shut out.

I'm definitely feeling the same way. Anxiety abounds.

3 minutes ago, becca11773 said:

I'm sorry for your bad news. My rejection is official too and my pride is crushed. I have a 4.0 MA, pretty sure my professors didn't write anything but the nicest things about me, and my contemporary poetry teacher told me my writing sample was top notch. I'm now anxious and wondering what's wrong with my application package? All the schools I applied to are OSU caliber or higher, and I'm starting to fear I'll be shut out completely. 

FWIW: A few years ago, there was a candidate that got rejected from all schools (including those outside the top 50). They were accepted into one program: Berkeley.

2 minutes ago, Warelin said:

FWIW: A few years ago, there was a candidate that got rejected from all schools (including those outside the top 50). They were accepted into one program: Berkeley.

Thank you so much for "saying" that. Exactly what I needed to hear. I jumped into the PhD application game on a whim in late October; I didn't realize how cutthroat it is. Need to ignore my bruised ego and soldier on :-)

4 minutes ago, becca11773 said:

I'm not going to say "don't worry!", because that's ridiculous advice when it comes to this process...but just remember that so much of an application is about the interplay between your SOP / WS and the adcom. You could have a positively perfect application on its own merits, but if it doesn't mesh with what particular adcom members in your field are looking for, then you might get passed over. Very few candidates get a clean sweep of acceptances to all of their programs (I remember the amazing Hypervodka went 7/7 a couple of years ago, but that was a true exception), but not many GCers get shut out either. That's the great thing about applying to a number of programs: all things being equal (they're not, but stick with me here), the odds eventually work out. Mediocre applications are rarely going to get in anywhere, and good applications may not get in anywhere, but great applications will usually get in somewhere. And hey, it's just January. Keep your chin up for a few more weeks at least. :)

5 minutes ago, becca11773 said:

Thank you so much for "saying" that. Exactly what I needed to hear. I jumped into the PhD application game on a whim in late October; I didn't realize how cutthroat it is. Need to ignore my bruised ego and soldier on :-)

Jumping into the game of submitting apps is half the battle. There are a lot of applicants which would like to apply but something holds them back. I think part of the reason why people apply to a multitude of schools (besides fit) is that it increases the likelihood that the pool you compete with is different even if both schools get a similar amount of applications. People have a wide range of determining fit. Last year, I found a school in California that might've accepted me but I'd be miserable in California so I elected not to apply. I ended up getting shut out but got a tuition waiver for an MA Program which I ended up accepting. I know that I am not looking forward to starting the application process next semester. (Or rather this semester, since @Wyatt's Terps has reminded me of the importance of peer review by professors.)

7 minutes ago, Warelin said:

I know that I am not looking forward to starting the application process next semester. (Or rather this semester, since @Wyatt's Terps has reminded me of the importance of peer review by professors.)

Yeah, even though I've developed as a scholar and have done better research, gained experience etc., I would say that the biggest difference between my cycle two years ago and this cycle is that I leaned heavily on peer review for my SOP and WS. All three of my LOR writers read both documents, the DGS of my department read both documents, a wonderful book historian from the History department gave me invaluable feedback during a works-in-progress presentation (and later provided specific feedback on both documents), various graduate students read and commented at length on my SOP... What I'm getting at is that I had a large number of eyes on these two crucial documents, and it made a world of difference. Two years ago, I was confident and cocksure, only to be bitterly disappointed at being passed over for a Ph.D. program (even though my M.A. experience has proven to nothing but wonderful). The reality is that my writing sample was "fine" and my SOP was "okay," but a second set of eyes on my SOP could have at least warned me about the perils of proposing a transhistorical approach, while a second set of eyes on my WS could have warned me about the dangers of having almost exclusively old research (seriously -- I almost never went to the library at my undergraduate institution, which is kind of astonishing to me at this point).

I'm prattling away, as usual, but I definitely preach the virtues of peer review. After all, peer review is essential on the other side of the Ph.D., so why shouldn't it be essential on the front end?

6 hours ago, anxiousgrad said:

My OSU rejection is official. 

Candidate with an MA, if that info helps anyone.

Same here. I'm going to keep my head high (for right now anyway) and bury myself in my current coursework. 

Sending love to all those who haven't heard any extravagant news yet. We're in this boat together, and I think we'll make it to shore. 

16 hours ago, Warelin said:

My God :blink:

Edited by Caien

18 hours ago, Warelin said:

"That's the beautiful thing about a bear trap, you don't have to catch a whole herd of them. Just one nice big fat one." -Lauren Bacall, How to Marry a Millionaire

On 1/24/2017 at 7:23 AM, Caien said:

Thanks Sunsy! You mean similar theoretical interests? Or are you an Irish medievalist?

Theoretical interests. I applied for Early Modern, but I did some stuff in undergrad on medieval memory practices and dream vision poems, and my undergrad school (Rochester) is big on medieval Lit. 

8 minutes ago, Caien said:

@Sunsy and @loganondorf, I have just been informed that I will be interviewed by no fewer than SIX professors at once! :unsure:

Six professors? That seems rough. Best of luck to you!

Out of curiosity, did you submit your subject score to ND? I know they say it's optional but I'm trying to figure out for next cycle if it's worthwhile to spend the money to send them the results.

10 minutes ago, Warelin said:

Out of curiosity, did you submit your subject score to ND? I know they say it's optional but I'm trying to figure out for next cycle if it's worthwhile to spend the money to send them the results.

I did, but my score was 650. My thinking was that if I didn't send it to the non-mandatory programs they would subconsciously assume it was terrible! Additionally I'm a BA applicant, and I know people have speculated on the relationship between having an MA and the importance of the subject score, if that might have an influence on your decision.

19 minutes ago, Warelin said:

Six professors? That seems rough. Best of luck to you!

For what it's worth, I didn't take the subject GRE (figured it wouldn't be worth the money), and still got offered an interview. It could still work against me in the long run, since I haven't been offered admission yet, but it doesn't seem to be a deal-breaker early on in the process, at least!