Fall 2017 Applicants

30 minutes ago, tvethiopia said:

congrats on surviving what appears to be duke's day of slaughter! seriously though, all that red on the results board is scary...

GC is being a bit dramatic with that red highlight. Yellow or purple or anything other than red would suffice imo 

21 hours ago, pippi said:

i got it as well. very confused!

apparently uchicago sent around a similar email last year: 

So how worried should I be if I didn't get an email for an interview? I'm an international applicant so I don't know if that changes anything. I'm so nervous now (shouldn't have checked The Grad Cafe).

36 minutes ago, jungThug said:

Do you think that it would be appropriate to send out decision letters today? Should I worry more about how Trump will destroy the world or about admissions committees? 

I don't know about what one should do, but for today I'm worried about admissions committees (looking at you, Ohio State). I'll save worrying about Trump for tomorrow at the Women's March.

37 minutes ago, jungThug said:

Do you think that it would be appropriate to send out decision letters today? Should I worry more about how Trump will destroy the world or about admissions committees? 

I feel this really really really hard. In my mind I was like, "Maybe sending out admissions decisions will be a radical act against Trump's administration's likely destruction of Arts/Humanities programs???" MY ANXIETY IS AT AN ALL TIME HIGH ON THIS DAY

As much as I've had today highlighted as "OSU Day," I'll actually be a bit surprised if they notify today. I hope I'm wrong, of course, but I simply don't think a lot of work is going to get done across the country today.

But I guess we'll find out soon... :unsure:

9 minutes ago, Warelin said:

According to the results page from 2013 (last presidential year), Jan 24th was the earliest OSU accepted. But anything can happen.

Please save me.

Not to get all forensic, but January 24th was a Wednesday in 2013, while January 20th (the main acceptance day) was a Wednesday last year...and January 20th was a Tuesday in 2015. So if past results are any guide, then it's probably more likely that we'll hear from OSU mid-week.

But a science, this ain't. Reading tea leaves or animal bones might be just as fruitful.

18 minutes ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

Not to get all forensic, but January 24th was a Wednesday in 2013, while January 20th (the main acceptance day) was a Wednesday last year...and January 20th was a Tuesday in 2015. So if past results are any guide, then it's probably more likely that we'll hear from OSU mid-week.

But a science, this ain't. Reading tea leaves or animal bones might be just as fruitful.

I'm not sure if this is reassuring, or just prolonging our worries. 

Regardless, best of luck to you, Warelin, and all other OSU applicants. I'd love for us all to get in and have a wonderful GradCafe cohort.

23 minutes ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

While today is my hope, I plotted out projected dates against past days-of-the-week, a couple weeks ago (because I'm dorky), so this exact thing has been in the upper-right of my brain, encouraging me to wait.

I'll still hope for today, but...eh. We'll all know soon enough. :)

11 minutes ago, anxiousgrad said:

Regardless, best of luck to you, Warelin, and all other OSU applicants. I'd love for us all to get in and have a wonderful GradCafe cohort.

Thanks...and you as well! A GC cohort would be amazing.

6 minutes ago, angel_kaye13 said:

While today is my hope, I plotted out projected dates against past days-of-the-week, a couple weeks ago (because I'm dorky), so this exact thing has been in the upper-right of my brain, encouraging me to wait.

I'll still hope for today, but...eh. We'll all know soon enough. :)

I'm rather surprised that I didn't do this earlier myself! I mean, committees change from year to year, so it's hard to say how predictive such endeavors can be...but they're oddly comforting (and simultaneously nerve-wracking, if that's possible)...

While most of me wants just one -- ANY one -- acceptance...OSU is one of my top choices, and has at least two hand-in-glove POI fits for me. I have a slightly ominous feeling that how OSU goes for me might telegraph how the rest will go. My rational mind tells me that feeling is almost certainly nonsense...and yet... :unsure:

13 minutes ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

I'm rather surprised that I didn't do this earlier myself! I mean, committees change from year to year, so it's hard to say how predictive such endeavors can be...but they're oddly comforting (and simultaneously nerve-wracking, if that's possible)...

While most of me wants just one -- ANY one -- acceptance...OSU is one of my top choices, and has at least two hand-in-glove POI fits for me. I have a slightly ominous feeling that how OSU goes for me might telegraph how the rest will go. My rational mind tells me that feeling is almost certainly nonsense...and yet... :unsure:

Chin up, friend; it's early, and (this goes for everyone) your worth isn't decided by whatever decisions are made in the coming months. 'Twil be alright, one way or the other. :)

Anyone else been freaking out about Trump's announcement to cut down on the humanities, and what that might mean for us? I'll be at the march protesting, but I can't help shake the feeling that even if I get into a program that things may look even dimmer than they currently are.

6 minutes ago, KikiDelivery said:

Anyone else been freaking out about Trump's announcement to cut down on the humanities, and what that might mean for us? I'll be at the march protesting, but I can't help shake the feeling that even if I get into a program that things may look even dimmer than they currently are.

Yes. Here's another easy way to get involved, I sent my emails yesterday:

http://www.nhalliance.org/help_us_nip_efforts_to_defund_neh_in_the_bud?utm_campaign=blueprint_alert&utm_medium=email&utm_source=nhalliance

57 minutes ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

Feeling you WT, this is my situation with Notre Dame. If I don't even make the interview round...  

1 hour ago, KikiDelivery said:

I'm not freaking out per se, but I'm worried. NEH grants are what universities pull from for major projects. One of the programs recruiting me got one for a cohort of incoming PhD students, and I wonder if the Trump administration would leave me hanging with no funding if I attended that school.

On 1/19/2017 at 8:14 AM, Sunsy said:

Did anyone else who is applying to Notre Dame get a call about their Interview weekend (I assume that's what it is)? Just got the call today.

Medievalist here! The call came yesterday. I'll be spending the next three works swimming in the professors' books. Congrats on the call!

6 hours ago, imogenshakes said:
  • Thank you for posting this! I've been freaking out all day after a coworker brought it to my attention.

On 1/20/2017 at 4:21 PM, ThePomoHipster said:

So how worried should I be if I didn't get an email for an interview? I'm an international applicant so I don't know if that changes anything. I'm so nervous now (shouldn't have checked The Grad Cafe).

Hi ThePomoHipster! unless a member of the admissions committee happens to be lurking, i would assume that no one here has a definitive answer to your question. 

but my general strategy for remaining sane throughout the admissions process has been to expect the worst. that way, i can be prepared in the case of bad news and pleasantly surprised if things unexpectedly go my way. my partner helps me out with that too, e.g. whenever i am like, "i will probably hear from X school this week!", he looks me in the eye and says, "come on, you're not going to hear from any schools this week, next week, or the week after that." 

4 hours ago, pippi said:

Hi ThePomoHipster! unless a member of the admissions committee happens to be lurking, i would assume that no one here has a definitive answer to your question. 

but my general strategy for remaining sane throughout the admissions process has been to expect the worst. that way, i can be prepared in the case of bad news and pleasantly surprised if things unexpectedly go my way. my partner helps me out with that too, e.g. whenever i am like, "i will probably hear from X school this week!", he looks me in the eye and says, "come on, you're not going to hear from any schools this week, next week, or the week after that." 

I love this! I've been telling myself that I don't deserve anything, which has worked, but coming from a partner would make it even better.