Fall 2017 Applicants

19 minutes ago, becca11773 said:

I'm wondering which schools have interviews and which don't?

I haven't heard anything from any of them yet- no emails, no calls, yikes!  Feeling very nervous, because I'm not sure how competitive my application is and I only applied to 6 schools, which sounds now after reading many of your posts like not many at all (made a last minute decision that I want to quit my job and go back to school; only started the admissions process in October). My GRE was 168 and 5, UGPA 3.8, MA GPA 4.0. I think my writing sample is pretty good- my recommenders say so, but who knows? I've applied to Duke, UofM Ann Arbor, Vandy, Ohio State, U of Ky and U of Cincinnati- English Literature and LInguistics/Gender Theory/Comtemporary Lit. Anyone with insight into the process at any of these schools?  Scared because of the silence- it seems like people in other majors are posting up a storm about email and phone interviews...

For a list of estimated dates of acceptances, see:

Out of the schools you listed, none of those typically interview. (Duke English interviewed last year but usually doesn't. Duke Literature usually does interview. But anything can happen. UMD started interviewing this year but it's unclear whether it's the whole department or just certain fields.

33 minutes ago, Warelin said:

For a list of estimated dates of acceptances, see:

Out of the schools you listed, none of those typically interview. (Duke English interviewed last year but usually doesn't. Duke Literature usually does interview. But anything can happen. UMD started interviewing this year but it's unclear whether it's the whole department or just certain fields.

This is exactly what I needed to know- thanks!  I had already looked at the incredibly helpful projected acceptance dates post, but I was worried that since those acceptance dates are coming soonish, and no school has contacted me for an interview, I was already out of the running. 

2 minutes ago, becca11773 said:

This is exactly what I needed to know- thanks!  I had already looked at the incredibly helpful projected acceptance dates post, but I was worried that since those acceptance dates are coming soonish, and no school has contacted me for an interview, I was already out of the running. 

No worries. If I remember correctly, Duke Lit, Chicago, Notre Dame are the only schools that *typically* interview.

Just got an email from Duke saying an admission decision had been made. Rejected - surprised to get news back so early though and kinda relieved that I know the door's closed on one school but also pretty gutted because I thought it was a pretty good fit. 

Good luck to all Duke applicants!! 

1 hour ago, Sunsy said:

Did anyone else who is applying to Notre Dame get a call about their Interview weekend (I assume that's what it is)? Just got the call today.

No interview notice for me :( what's your sub field? Did a POI call you or the DGS?

22 minutes ago, RydraWong said:

Just got an email from Duke saying an admission decision had been made. Rejected - surprised to get news back so early though and kinda relieved that I know the door's closed on one school but also pretty gutted because I thought it was a pretty good fit. 

I'm sorry to hear that! I'm sure you'll get in somewhere that's an even better fit. :) 

I applied to Duke as well, so now I'm having a heart attack. As of yet, no email and no change to my application status.

So I just received an email from Chicago about a potential interview. It says that applicants may be asked to interview, and includes a Doodle poll to provide availability. Did anyone else get this—I'm not sure how excited to be...

7 minutes ago, claritus said:

So I just received an email from Chicago about a potential interview. It says that applicants may be asked to interview, and includes a Doodle poll to provide availability. Did anyone else get this—I'm not sure how excited to be...

I just saw that up on the admissions search and almost threw up. I haven't heard anything (but it's my top choice and super reach so I honestly didn't expect to), but I'll let you know if I by some miracle do.

13 minutes ago, crugs said:

I just saw that up on the admissions search and almost threw up. I haven't heard anything (but it's my top choice and super reach so I honestly didn't expect to), but I'll let you know if I by some miracle do.

:( Hope you get better news from another school soon—and in a less maddening form. 

2 minutes ago, claritus said:

:( Hope you get better news from another school soon—and in a less maddening form. 

haha agreed!

And congrats!!! What a weird way to notify for interviews, but if they follow through with scheduling--kill it!

1 hour ago, Caien said:

No interview notice for me :( what's your sub field? Did a POI call you or the DGS?

Sorry to hear that :/, but who knows what this means. This seems super early to me, so I'm willing to bet there will be more interview calls, and the recruiting day isn't until 2/10. I got the call from the DGS, and I'm Early Modern, specifically 17th century poetry (Milton, Spenser) and ecocrit/history of science. No word on anything from POI'S, but in the registration form for the day there's a field where you can enter specific faculty you'd like to meet with. I did some searching on here, and it seems like in previous year they have you sit down with 3 different profs for 30 minute sessions to talk about interests, writing sample, etc. so it seems pretty nerve-wracking to say the least. My happiness about ND, however, has now been counterbalanced by the fact that I got no interview email from UChicago. Oh well, I'm just happy to finally start hearing any news at all! 

1 hour ago, RydraWong said:

Never mind, I just got my rejection, too :(

Sending virtual hugs to everyone who's receiving news today - good news or not! I feel like it's all actually beginning now. 

Was definitely caught off guard by the Duke email; wasn't expecting to hear news so early and pretty discouraging that the first bit of news is not good news. This is going to be an interesting couple months...

19 minutes ago, Sunsy said:

Sorry to hear that :/, but who knows what this means. This seems super early to me, so I'm willing to bet there will be more interview calls, and the recruiting day isn't until 2/10. I got the call from the DGS, and I'm Early Modern, specifically 17th century poetry (Milton, Spenser) and ecocrit/history of science. No word on anything from POI'S, but in the registration form for the day there's a field where you can enter specific faculty you'd like to meet with. I did some searching on here, and it seems like in previous year they have you sit down with 3 different profs for 30 minute sessions to talk about interests, writing sample, etc. so it seems pretty nerve-wracking to say the least. My happiness about ND, however, has now been counterbalanced by the fact that I got no interview email from UChicago. Oh well, I'm just happy to finally start hearing any news at all! 

Thanks Sunsy, it looks like in the past the interview phone calls have been spread out over 2-3 days, so I'll hold out hope I suppose...

3 hours ago, Sunsy said:

Did anyone else who is applying to Notre Dame get a call about their Interview weekend (I assume that's what it is)? Just got the call today.

Congrats on getting an interview from Notre Dame! :)

For those who applied and were accepted, did you submit a lit score? Did you have an MA? I'm trying to figure out what it means that they weigh subject scores more heavily from those who have an MA. (I scored a 620 but am trying to keep spending to a minimum next year.)

Looks like I can assume that Notre Dame is an "implied rejection" since a.) I didn't get an interview call, and b.) another early modernist on this board did (congrats @Sunsy!).

I had completely forgotten about the whole "implied rejection" element of application season, but it's all coming back to me now... :rolleyes:

I'm not considering UMD an implied rejection, since I'm pretty much a known quantity to everyone there, so I'm not sure what an interview would tell them that they don't already know about me. Still, I can't deny that I'm starting to feel a bit of apprehension about this application cycle for the first time. Meep.

Longtime lurker, first time posting...
Accepted to University of Louisville (English--Rhetoric and Composition)! I was absolutely not expecting to hear from them so early, so the email took me completely by surprise.  I'm very pleased though!  Now back to being on pins and needles until OSU starts sending offers...

6 minutes ago, methodinmadness said:

Longtime lurker, first time posting...
Accepted to University of Louisville (English--Rhetoric and Composition)! I was absolutely not expecting to hear from them so early, so the email took me completely by surprise.  I'm very pleased though!  Now back to being on pins and needles until OSU starts sending offers...

Congratulations! Way to go! :D

Brrrr okay thanks for the precisions. I'm starting to freak out, and I couldn't see which programs the posters were applying to, from my phone. Way to go for those who got their first acceptances!

Edited by Yanaka

2 hours ago, PoeticsofPossibility said:

I've been placed on a waitlist for Duke's Ph.D. in English program. Let the waiting continue... 5 more to go! 

Good luck to everyone out there! 

congrats on surviving what appears to be duke's day of slaughter! seriously though, all that red on the results board is scary...