Fall 2017 Applicants

13 minutes ago, Caien said:

This is likely a ridiculous thing to be worrying about at this stage (or at any stage) but... is anybody else wondering what they're going to say if a DGS or POI calls them on the phone? Not even talking out research  or the program etc, but like, the first thing out of your mouth?

Because my instinctive response is going to be a swear word, and I'm not sure how I'm going to stop it.

Just re-record your voicemail message to say "Thank you so much for calling -- I am truly grateful for the acceptance. I know that your program will be an excellent fit for me, and I will be sure to return your call shortly!" That way, anyone who knows you will understand the reason for the message, and any DGS / POI who happens to call will have a delightfully polished response! Foolproof! :P

Oh I'm definitely going to end up dropping a few joyous f-bombs if a POI phones me... that and probably cry a little. My logic is that if they care enough to call you, you'd have to do something really bad to mess things up. 

On 1/11/2017 at 6:40 PM, AnimeChic101! said:

Has anybody received interview info from Emory yet?

According to the results page, it looks like Emory has started sending out interview requests this morning...

Fingers crossed for our hopeful Emorites! 

Edited by Wyatt's Terps

1 hour ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

According to the results page, it looks like Emory has started sending out interview requests this morning...

Fingers crossed for our hopeful Emorites! 

:( I applied to Emory and haven't gotten an interview invite (yet?). Here's hoping that isn't a death sentence.

1 hour ago, kirbs005 said:

The feeling when the graduate coordinator at one of your schools tells you a month after the deadline that they didn't get your GRE scores. But also secretly hoping they're telling you (instead of just ignoring the application) because they want to admit you...

Image result for freak out gif

For reals, yo. ;-)

But seriously: ETS. I'm not worried, and I haven't received any email to this effect {yet}, but two of my top choices still show not having received scores. I've checked the ETS website an OBSESSIVE number of times, before I realized this is just ETS, and my schools know this, too. Hopefully. *^^* :D

On 1/17/2017 at 6:12 PM, mullcj15 said:

First Emory, now UMD? I guess I'm 0 for 2 thus far :unsure:

Keep your head up. Emory and UMD are extremely competitive. In the past, Emory only has taken 12 applicants out of the 161 that have applied. That's roughly a 7 percent acceptance rate.

The good news is that most schools haven't notified yet and there are plenty of results to come. Don't despair. Also, so much is about 'fit' that it may not be any indication of how good your application is.

31 minutes ago, mullcj15 said:

Whoa whoa whoa. Don't assume the worst from UMD just yet. Like I said, this is uncharted territory for UMD, so it's anyone's guess as to how they're doing things. For all we know it was left up to the subcommittees to set up interviews (meaning that some fields might have more applicants to wade through than others etc.).

I applied to the Ph.D. program at UMD as well, and I'm not counting myself out yet just because I haven't received an interview offer. It's hard to relax in such a stressful process, but trust me -- pace yourself on the dejection! ;)

On 1/17/2017 at 6:30 PM, Warelin said:

Keep your head up. Emory and UMD are extremely competitive. In the past, Emory only has taken 12 applicants out of the 161 that have applied. That's roughly a 7 percent acceptance rate.

The good news is that most schools haven't notified yet and there are plenty of results to come. Don't despair. Also, so much is about 'fit' that it may not be any indication of how good your application is.

I appreciate the encouragement!

think I'm getting extra anxious because the people close to me are all getting big news (engagements, full time jobs) and I'm desperate for my own big news.

On 1/17/2017 at 6:45 PM, Wyatt's Terps said:

Whoa whoa whoa. Don't assume the worst from UMD just yet. Like I said, this is uncharted territory for UMD, so it's anyone's guess as to how they're doing things. For all we know it was left up to the subcommittees to set up interviews (meaning that some fields might have more applicants to wade through than others etc.).

I applied to the Ph.D. program at UMD as well, and I'm not counting myself out yet just because I haven't received an interview offer. It's hard to relax in such a stressful process, but trust me -- pace yourself on the dejection! ;)

I hope you're right! At the very least, you're comforting :) 

Big News? You're alive.

-There are currently seven billion people alive today and the Population Reference Bureau estimates that about 107 billion people have ever lived.
-Having just a few coins makes you richer than most people on Earth.
-The opportunity to attend school is something many people don’t have. (Which makes having a college degree even greater!)
-Most people lack a bed of their own to sleep in
-Many people on earth lack access to clean water.
-Cell phones make talking to loved ones easy.
-The Internet, n'uff said?

But in all seriousness, try not to compare yourself to others. We have a tendency to look at how great the lives of other people are going without realizing the stresses they're hiding. There may even be people looking at you and saying, isn't it great that Shaun or Rachel is taking chances to pursue what they want no matter the cost? They don't realize that you're refreshing your e-mail every minute waiting for news.

9 hours ago, mullcj15 said:

:( I applied to Emory and haven't gotten an interview invite (yet?). Here's hoping that isn't a death sentence.

Hi @mullcj15, I'm in the same state. For the last two weeks I have been checking my mailbox every hour and hoping to see an interview invitation. I suppose this is an unofficial rejection to me from Emory then, and I have only applied for 8 programs... :( Anyway, I am going to watch a comedy to distract myself a little bit.

Fingers crossed for the rest applications! Good luck to all!

1 hour ago, Warelin said:

Big News? You're alive.

-There are currently seven billion people alive today and the Population Reference Bureau estimates that about 107 billion people have ever lived.
-The opportunity to attend school is something many people don’t have. (Which makes having a college degree even greater!)

But in all seriousness, try not to compare yourself to others. We have a tendency to look at how great the lives of other people are going without realizing the stresses they're hiding. There may even be people looking at you and saying, isn't it great that Shaun or Rachel is taking chances to pursue what they want no matter the cost? They don't realize that you're refreshing your e-mail every minute waiting for news.

You're an MVP. 

3 hours ago, mullcj15 said:

2 hours ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

Yes, that's exactly how I felt when I saw someone got an acceptance from MSU! I certainly agree though that right now more than ever it is important to take things slow, and remind ourselves that our worth is not measure by the results of our apps (even though it can feel that way). :)

Edited by KikiDelivery

14 hours ago, Warelin said:

Big News? You're alive.

True! A little perspective is definitely a good thing when academia is getting me down. :) 

For the record: I still recognize my relative privilege, despite being very anxious about Ph.D. apps and a little jealous of others' recent successes. 

Here's to hoping all GradCafe-ers have their own successes to report in the near future! 

6 minutes ago, TeaOverCoffee said:

Just for clarification, I meant that in a positive manner. As in, "Thanks. I needed that. You're appreciated." 

Similar. My post wasn't meant to be a "check your privilege" but rather a "there are good things happening to you". /shrug

I'm wondering which schools have interviews and which don't?

I haven't heard anything from any of them yet- no emails, no calls, yikes!  Feeling very nervous, because I'm not sure how competitive my application is and I only applied to 6 schools, which sounds now after reading many of your posts like not many at all (made a last minute decision that I want to quit my job and go back to school; only started the admissions process in October). My GRE was 168 and 5, UGPA 3.8, MA GPA 4.0. I think my writing sample is pretty good- my recommenders say so, but who knows? I've applied to Duke, UofM Ann Arbor, Vandy, Ohio State, U of Ky and U of Cincinnati- English Literature and LInguistics/Gender Theory/Comtemporary Lit. Anyone with insight into the process at any of these schools?  Scared because of the silence- it seems like people in other majors are posting up a storm about email and phone interviews...

15 minutes ago, becca11773 said:

I'm wondering which schools have interviews and which don't?

I haven't heard anything from any of them yet- no emails, no calls, yikes!  Feeling very nervous, because I'm not sure how competitive my application is and I only applied to 6 schools, which sounds now after reading many of your posts like not many at all (made a last minute decision that I want to quit my job and go back to school; only started the admissions process in October). My GRE was 168 and 5, UGPA 3.8, MA GPA 4.0. I think my writing sample is pretty good- my recommenders say so, but who knows? I've applied to Duke, UofM Ann Arbor, Vandy, Ohio State, U of Ky and U of Cincinnati- English Literature and LInguistics/Gender Theory/Comtemporary Lit. Anyone with insight into the process at any of these schools?  Scared because of the silence- it seems like people in other majors are posting up a storm about email and phone interviews...

I'd say that based on the results posted history, most of those schools won't notify until at least February. Also, for this application cycle no one has posted in regards to any of those schools too! I completely understand though, I am also freaking out and incredibly anxious. But I say find comfort in that, at least according to the record history, a lot of people do not hear until February, if not March.