CBU Fall 2016 APPLICATIONS OPEN APRIL 7th (NEW PROGRAM)

I just wanted to let everyone know that there is a new SLP grad program starting in Riverside, CA at Cal Baptist University(CBU).  I got an email from them today stating the following:

In studying our internal time frames and personnel availability for processing applicants for a projected fall opening, our faculty has decided to open applications April 7, 2016 and close them May 20, 2016. A link to the application will be made available on our program webpage on April 7, 2016. 

We will be reviewing applications and selecting students for our first cohort of the SLP Master’s Program in early summer. All students who apply and receive acceptance offers need to keep in mind that actual enrollment in the program will be contingent upon the final approval from the accrediting body, CAA, for our opening of the master’s program. CBU must be awarded Candidacy status for accreditation before it can enroll students.  We would not have this final notification until early July.

We thank you for your interest in applying to the new master’s program in speech-language pathology here at CBU. We hope this update is helpful.

Sincerely yours in Christ,
Dr. Candace Vickers
Program Director, Associate Professor, Communication Disorders

And it's a great opportunity for people here who may not have had any luck yet, and are willing to relocate for grad school! Thanks for sharing! Exciting news!

How's GVSU's accreditation going? I know you finished up there, twinguy, so I bet you're a great resource for people who might be a little wary of a program that's newer.

Just curious, can I take PRAXIS exam and get a CCC license after graduating from 'candidate' status school?

Also, does anyone know how state license work? like process which has to be done in order to work in a state you are from when you go go out-of-state graduate schools. 

7 hours ago, hanaidn said:

Just curious, can I take PRAXIS exam and get a CCC license after graduating from 'candidate' status school?

Also, does anyone know how state license work? like process which has to be done in order to work in a state you are from when you go go out-of-state graduate schools. 

Yes, you do both the praxis and have the option for your CCCs when attending a candidate school :) you have to fill out extra paper work for ASHA for your CCCs but I've heard it's not bad. 

Each state has a different way of licensing so you'd have to look up what the specific state entails but I know people relocate for grad school and then go back home a lot so it shouldn't be too bad wherever you are. 

Accreditation is awarded after 5 years but the pre accreditation status still gets you a degree and yes you can take the Praxis ad get your CCC's after going to a  pre-accreditation school.  I am in my CFY now in SoCal and to be honest, jobs could care less about where you attended school.  All they want to know is that you have a degree.  

@twinguy7 is the paperwork process of working in a different state than where you went to grad school difficult? I think I'll most likely take that option of moving back to my home state, but I'm just worried about not getting preference for jobs in other states because I didn't have placements in that state.

Paperwork isn't difficult.  Just have to figure out the paperwork needed for the state where you plan to practice in.  All you need is a letter from your grad program that you met requirements to work in that state and it is enough to get a job in other states outside the state where you got your program.

• 5 weeks later...

For anyone still interested there will be an information session Thursday, MAY 5th for this program!  To register to go click this link:

https://calbaptist.secure.force.com/events/targetx_eventsb__eventsplus_results?eid=a0Jd000000U7KQKEA3

This is in Riverside, CA at Cal Baptist University.  The session goes from 5:30-7:00pm

I'm actually a student at CBU about to graduate from the CDS undergrad program. I have LOVED my time here. The professors are wonderful and personable! They have been putting lots of work into launching this grad program and I'm sure it will be great.  

My cousin attended the session and wasn't too impressed. Faculty did not seem as knowledgeable when it came to administrative and other matter. It's not a very organized school and placements are still being prepared. I wouldn't apply here now, but maybe once they've got things together. Let the first cohort pass. They're also pending ASHA accreditation and she didn't like that they're making you pay before the program gets approval. You don't even get a refund if the program is rejected. Plus going to a Christian school means that you have to follow some rules even if you're not Christian. The tuition is also  extremely pricey and no funding either.

On a different note, the surrounding area is ghetto, lots of gangs, shooting, robberies, etc. It's not a very safe place particularly for females and if you don't believe me just google Riverside. It's a poor area and there is a lack of good facilities for placement. 

Thanks for the info, twinguy! This is great news! :)

@hopefulspeechie16 I did my undergrad at UC Riverside. It has both good and bad neighborhoods just like anywhere else. As long as you follow common sense like not walking alone late at night, etc, you should be good. :) As far as placements, I believe the Inland Empire has plenty although that is definitely something to check with CBU (i'll be checking as well).

• 1 month later...

I

4 hours ago, panda1991 said:

Thank you so much for making this thread! I applied and I got a phone call this morning to set up an interview. This will be my first interview. I am super excited. :) 

Is the application on CSDCAS? 

4 hours ago, Cookie Hall said:

I

Is the application on CSDCAS? 

No, it wasn't on CSDCAS.  Applications closed last month for the Fall semester, by the way. If you're interested in their program, you should check out their program website. I feel that they have a more holistic approach than most California schools. 

http://www.calbaptist.edu/academics/schools-colleges/college-health-science/public-health-sciences/master-of-science-speech-language-pathology/

12 hours ago, panda1991 said:

Thank you so much for making this thread! I applied and I got a phone call this morning to set up an interview. This will be my first interview. I am super excited. :) 

Congratulations!! When is your interview? 

As for me, I applied but have yet to receive a call. Sigh..:/ haha it's all good congrats again! 

20 hours ago, Kilg123456 said:

Congratulations!! When is your interview? 

As for me, I applied but have yet to receive a call. Sigh..:/ haha it's all good congrats again! 

Thanks! My interview is July 7th. I hope you hear back soon, I know how frustrating the waiting process can be. 

Edited by panda1991

On April 28, 2016 at 7:09 PM, hopefulspeechie16 said:

My cousin attended the session and wasn't too impressed. Faculty did not seem as knowledgeable when it came to administrative and other matter. It's not a very organized school and placements are still being prepared. I wouldn't apply here now, but maybe once they've got things together. Let the first cohort pass. They're also pending ASHA accreditation and she didn't like that they're making you pay before the program gets approval. You don't even get a refund if the program is rejected. Plus going to a Christian school means that you have to follow some rules even if you're not Christian. The tuition is also  extremely pricey and no funding either.

On a different note, the surrounding area is ghetto, lots of gangs, shooting, robberies, etc. It's not a very safe place particularly for females and if you don't believe me just google Riverside. It's a poor area and there is a lack of good facilities for placement. 

@hopefulspeechie16 Riverside has about 2 ghetto areas in a city of 300,000+ people.  CBU is somewhat close to one of those areas but it is on the opposite side of the freeway and students would never be close to that area.  

As for the program not being impressive, that is fine. A new program will not be a great program no matter what.  The purpose of posting this is for people who just want to get into a program.  This is a  great opportunity for those people who have applied a couple times to grad school and haven't been able to get in.  I've said this before, no matter how good or bad your grad program is.....  getting into the job field is a WHOLE new learning experience/process no matter how well you were so called "prepared" by your grad school.  After personally being through the process, I feel grad school is just a certificate to get you into the field and get you a job in the field, the REAL learning starts ON THE JOB.  

Hope that makes sense!  All who are looking for a place to get in, apply!!! :)

Edited by twinguy7
spelling/syntax errors.