We've wined, we've waited, now it's time to celebrate 2016

hippyscientist

On 12/23/2016 at 7:40 PM, Need Coffee in an IV said:

Omg that final of project runway made me sooooooooooooooooo angry

What happened?  I haven't watched this show in years because Heidi Klum seriously bugs me.

9 hours ago, MarineBluePsy said:

What happened?  I haven't watched this show in years because Heidi Klum seriously bugs me.

Once again they chose the WORST designer to win. Her clothes were hideous but the judges said she was "fashion forward". My favorite was robbed! Its even more annoying because you could easily tell that she was the favorite and they wanted her to win. She was on the bottom 3 TIMES! She also did the same thing over and over again. Humbug ha.

Happy Holidays everyone!

1 hour ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Care to share details? I never have any luck making boozy hot chocolate - always just tastes like nasty booze.

Spiced black rum mixed with hot chocolate. Put a healthy dollop of whipped cream atop it and a little bit of spice, whatever you fancy. I used nutmeg. :D 

Ok so now that I've watched 3 seasons of Sons of Anarchy I really like the show, but despise Tara.  I mean could the writers make her anymore of a helpless whiner?  Even when she is standing up for herself she looks ridiculous, like a kid imitating a grown up.  I also just don't find it very believable that a talented surgeon would be slumming it in a no name town with I guess well meaning criminals.  I get that the shows focus is the men, but it would be nice to see stronger female characters other than Gemma.

On 12/25/2016 at 9:43 AM, Need Coffee in an IV said:

Once again they chose the WORST designer to win. Her clothes were hideous but the judges said she was "fashion forward". My favorite was robbed! Its even more annoying because you could easily tell that she was the favorite and they wanted her to win. She was on the bottom 3 TIMES! She also did the same thing over and over again. Humbug ha.

Happy Holidays everyone!

That was something I never understood about the show.  The designs they praised were often terrible or really boring and the winner rarely made sense to me.  I liked the season that Chloe Dao won and felt that she really deserved it.  She made stuff I actually wanted to wear and made stuff I never considered wearing look flattering and unique.  Of course she has a successful clothing line now in some far away part of the world.

Did Christian Siriano win his season?  I like seeing what he is doing now, which is dressing people that most designers won't go near because they aren't 5'10 size zeros.  The range and creativity he has seem like a good recipe for a lengthy career.

1 hour ago, MarineBluePsy said:

Ok so now that I've watched 3 seasons of Sons of Anarchy I really like the show, but despise Tara.  I mean could the writers make her anymore of a helpless whiner?  Even when she is standing up for herself she looks ridiculous, like a kid imitating a grown up.  I also just don't find it very believable that a talented surgeon would be slumming it in a no name town with I guess well meaning criminals.  I get that the shows focus is the men, but it would be nice to see stronger female characters other than Gemma.

That was something I never understood about the show.  The designs they praised were often terrible or really boring and the winner rarely made sense to me.  I liked the season that Chloe Dao won and felt that she really deserved it.  She made stuff I actually wanted to wear and made stuff I never considered wearing look flattering and unique.  Of course she has a successful clothing line now in some far away part of the world.

Did Christian Siriano win his season?  I like seeing what he is doing now, which is dressing people that most designers won't go near because they aren't 5'10 size zeros.  The range and creativity he has seem like a good recipe for a lengthy career.

He did win! Then again he was the 4th season so maybe that was before the show started going downhill. Honestly I'll never be able to afford Roberi's clothes but I would love to wear them! I like how he wasn't always trying to be "sexy".

So, today was my daughter's fourth birthday. I took her to the Science Museum Oklahoma. I am very tired. I was there for five hours.

Geez, where do kids get their energy from? Also, the Science Museum Oklahoma is super cool! I was raised in Oklahoma, and I've been to the museum probably at least a dozen times, but it's been at least a decade since I last visited. It's neat! 

it feels weird that carrie fisher is gone. She was only 60. She helped remove the stigma of mental illness a little bit which was super brave of her. It makes morality kinda real because my parents and bfs are close to her age. I'm basically done with my application now I just wait for letters. Again ha.

7 hours ago, MarineBluePsy said:

@Pink Fuzzy Bunny  My mom just stuffs hers in a box all put together to avoid the take apart struggle.  And how do you have a preliminary exam already?  I thought those were done about halfway through a program?!

Yours are halfway through? That's interesting. Ours is an oral exam over "advanced undergrad" material - the purpose isn't so much to see what you know, but how you attack problems that you don't know the answer to. Or something. I'm toast.

33 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Yours are halfway through? That's interesting. Ours is an oral exam over "advanced undergrad" material - the purpose isn't so much to see what you know, but how you attack problems that you don't know the answer to. Or something. I'm toast.

Our preliminary exam tests us on basic concepts that we should have mastered early in our program so that can include some things learned in undergrad (depending on where you went and classes taken), but mostly things learned in the first 2 years of the PhD.  It seems odd that your programs goal is to assess what you know less well.  I mean honestly, who actually needs an exam to say "yeah I don't know how to do that" rather than just being asked?

Ouch those exams sound awful, good luck on those! In fun news I got my new shoes and they fit wonderfully! I had to exchange the old ones since they were a bit big. It took over 2 hours but worth it! As a huge PSA, keep the correct shoe boxes people!

3 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Eh, some people are terrible at tests. Mendel (of pea fame) failed his teaching exams. Horribly

Tests certainly aren't a measure of potential, and I certainly have seen that anecdotally in my life. Grit by Angela Duckworth is super elucidating on that point, too.

@Pink Fuzzy Bunny my quals (what my program calls prelims) are in April, so I feel your pain. Initially they were going to be end of January but we realized I hadn't fulfilled my academic integrity training (10 hrs in total, and 2 of my classes count for 3 hrs each). So delayed torture! 

Coffee, new shoes sounds like fun! What type did you get?

Today I managed to get a paper out for a conference, well to my old advisor to approve, which I am thrilled about because it took me 2 days to get the whole thing done. I also arranged a facetime with one of my best friends in the whole word. And he might be coming over for spring break!!! I'm so excited right now!!!

2 minutes ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

@hippyscientist They look like these but not exactly! It has black stitching towards the front. I'm so excited because I've been looking for awhile now for leopard print that I liked and fit! Image result for  leopard flats

Okay so I know we're not our little avatars on here, but I definitely just pictured the man in your photo (who I know, I know I know who it is I'm having a blank) wearing those....either way, they're cute!!

11 minutes ago, hippyscientist said:

Okay so I know we're not our little avatars on here, but I definitely just pictured the man in your photo (who I know, I know I know who it is I'm having a blank) wearing those....either way, they're cute!!

Its Larry David! He was a writer for Seinfeld and is on Curb Your Enthusiasm. I think he is extremely funny and clever. Thanks! Tbh I could see him wearing those for a skit lol. I love them so much I'm already planning outfits ha.

14 minutes ago, hippyscientist said:

Oh man I'm so glad I'm not the only one who did that. I had a good laugh :D