We've wined, we've waited, now it's time to celebrate 2016

hippyscientist

1 minute ago, nevermind said:

Congrats! All A's are a good feeling!

Thanks! It's great because one of my fellowship's requirements was for me to make "satisfactory" progression in my program sooo my fellowship is safe ha. Now I just need to find a grant

1 minute ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

Thanks! It's great because one of my fellowship's requirements was for me to make "satisfactory" progression in my program sooo my fellowship is safe ha. Now I just need to find a grant

Yeah. I know "grades aren't supposed to matter in grad school", but if you're applying for outside fellowships (or maintain the ones you have) you *need* to do well. So it's a good feeling to know you're still competitive for things, instead of just meeting the minimum req's!

7 minutes ago, nevermind said:

Yeah. I know "grades aren't supposed to matter in grad school", but if you're applying for outside fellowships (or maintain the ones you have) you *need* to do well. So it's a good feeling to know you're still competitive for things, instead of just meeting the minimum req's!

Particularly since I felt like I did so much work, I know it sounds silly but I really liked seeing those As. I'm a person who loves the finished product instead of the process if that makes any sense?

17 minutes ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

Particularly since I felt like I did so much work, I know it sounds silly but I really liked seeing those As. I'm a person who loves the finished product instead of the process if that makes any sense?

Makes total sense. I was a little bit bummed because technically my school allows for A+'s on transcripts (But they are weighted as 4.0, we're not on a 4.3 scale), and I only got all A's, so there was one level of "man, I wish I would've done better" because you know, I'm neurotic. But at the same time, not all professors really give A+'s to students AND I finished the semester with bronchitis AND one class was reeaaaallly hard for me, so I just need to be happy with what I did and move on. (This is like the grad student equivalent of first world problems.)

3 minutes ago, nevermind said:

Makes total sense. I was a little bit bummed because technically my school allows for A+'s on transcripts (But they are weighted as 4.0, we're not on a 4.3 scale), and I only got all A's, so there was one level of "man, I wish I would've done better" because you know, I'm neurotic. But at the same time, not all professors really give A+'s to students AND I finished the semester with bronchitis AND one class was reeaaaallly hard for me, so I just need to be happy with what I did and move on. (This is like the grad student equivalent of first world problems.)

Haha I know what you mean. My school doesn't have A+ but they do have A-. A- and A are still 4.0 but that little minus sign irks me :D

Btw if anyone is looking for new books to read, I just finished The Beautiful Things That Heaven Bears and it was fantastic! I also recommend The Circle and Nobody is Ever Missing. One way that I know I have a good book is that I may dislike the ending, I was still satisfied. Also Small Gods by Terry Pratchett is amazing.

2 hours ago, hippyscientist said:

So far I got an A and a B :) one class grade still to come but for now I'm happy! 12 hr drive to do tomorrow...

Drive safe!! 13 hours for me on Monday. Just keep thinking of all the relaxation that will happen once you get there B) (assuming you're going home for Christmas)

8 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Drive safe!! 13 hours for me on Monday. Just keep thinking of all the relaxation that will happen once you get there B) (assuming you're going home for Christmas)

Aww thank you! I'm actually visiting an old friend for like 4 days before doing the same drive back to my college town. It should be a fun adventure but I have to say I'm hoping the roads are nice and clear and unicy. Have a safe drive yourself on Monday.

6 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Anyone else watch Black Mirror? I've only seen two episodes but I'm in love!

Binged the entire series over the Thanksgiving weekend. I can't wait for more episodes.

8 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Anyone else watch Black Mirror? I've only seen two episodes but I'm in love!

Yup! I haven't had time to watch the third season, but I loved the first two. 

Also, I'm still twiddling my thumbs waiting for my grades. They aren't technically due at our university until the 20th, so...

*twiddles thumbs*

34 minutes ago, Neist said:

Yup! I haven't had time to watch the third season, but I loved the first two. 

Also, I'm still twiddling my thumbs waiting for my grades. They aren't technically due at our university until the 20th, so...

*twiddles thumbs*

Sorry to make you a nervous wreck but my grades weren't due till the 19th and the last one was submitted yesterday. Soooo you wouldn't be that silly to be constantly checking them :D

2 hours ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

Sorry to make you a nervous wreck but my grades weren't due till the 19th and the last one was submitted yesterday. Soooo you wouldn't be that silly to be constantly checking them :D

Yeah, mine weren't due until the 15th, but I think they were available a day early. :)

Happy break everyone! I just finished binge-watching Poldark (seasons 1 and 2) and recommend it if anyone is looking for some historical drama over the break.