We've wined, we've waited, now it's time to celebrate 2016

hippyscientist

1 hour ago, Neist said:

Aw, poo. 

Didn't get a scholarship that would have made specialized training possible. Welp, guess there's always next year.

There no other option to fund the training?  Or can you do the training later and try for this scholarship again?

2 hours ago, MarineBluePsy said:

There no other option to fund the training?  Or can you do the training later and try for this scholarship again?

Well, I could do loans, but I don't really want to do that. :) It'd take thousands of dollars. And I can apply for the scholarship later. The classes run pretty much every year.

1 hour ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

What sort of training? Not that telling some random internet stranger will help you get the scholarship, but I'm curious :)

I wanted to take specialized bibliographic training at the Rare Book School. @Need Coffee in an IV might have heard of it before. It's a well-known organization, and they teach a wide variety topics. A lot of topics are, unsurprisingly, how to handle and deal with rare books, so some museum and archive folks end up taking the classes. 

1 hour ago, Neist said:

Well, I could do loans, but I don't really want to do that. :) It'd take thousands of dollars. And I can apply for the scholarship later. The classes run pretty much every year.

I wanted to take specialized bibliographic training at the Rare Book School. @Need Coffee in an IV might have heard of it before. It's a well-known organization, and they teach a wide variety topics. A lot of topics are, unsurprisingly, how to handle and deal with rare books, so some museum and archive folks end up taking the classes. 

I do know of it! I wouldn't get too hard on yourself, that scholarship is is super competitive. I feel like you like you almost have to be super human to get in. I thought about applying but i couldn't get a decent enough application going plus I was extremely doubtful that I would be qualified/what they are looking for. I do need to find a scholarship or fellowship to apply for

Hell, even *I've* heard of the rare book school at Oklahoma. It's a big deal. Don't get yourself down.

As a side note, I spent the entire day feeling down about failing this class (which is kind of inevitable), but I just got an email telling me that the research I did last summer (2015) was published! :D

32 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Hell, even *I've* heard of the rare book school at Oklahoma. It's a big deal. Don't get yourself down.

As a side note, I spent the entire day feeling down about failing this class (which is kind of inevitable), but I just got an email telling me that the research I did last summer (2015) was published! :D

Thank heavens for silver linings!

Yeah, I understand that it was probably a long shot with the scholarship, but one always hopes. :) 

Hope everyone's end-of-semester work is smoothing out! I know mine is. Looking forward to doing reading that I want to read, not what I'm forced to read.

5 hours ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

@Neist I'm anxiously waiting for grades to be posted. I've read three chapters of a book today, that WASN"T for school. It felt amazing ha. Plus now I can watch house hunters without feeling guilty

You read three billion pages a day for school and still have energy to read for fun? Are you superhuman?

17 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

That's awesome congratulations Fuzzy!!! 

@Neistyou don't get these things if you don't apply, and applying helps hone your techniques for the ones that you do get. 

So I had a pretty good end to the week - I had a good date, I got a 98% in my stats exam (still got the final to go), and made some coding progress. It's nice to feel a sense of accomplishment towards the end of the first semester. Going to Maine in 8 days to see one of my old friends whom I haven't seen in 4 years! It's exciting :)

50 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

You read three billion pages a day for school and still have energy to read for fun? Are you superhuman?

Lol if only my super power was teleportation. I don't get tired mentally very often but physically I'm useless. Usually only after 3 hours in the lab, my body starts to hurt.

1 hour ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

Lol if only my super power was teleportation. I don't get tired mentally very often but physically I'm useless. Usually only after 3 hours in the lab, my body starts to hurt.

Really? This might be way too personal, but that sounds like a quite serious physical issue (something like chronic fatigue, maybe?) Have you spoken to a doctor about it?

21 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Really? This might be way too personal, but that sounds like a quite serious physical issue (something like chronic fatigue, maybe?) Have you spoken to a doctor about it?

Oh no its fine! I actually have a doctors appointment in April (earliest appointment I could get) to try and figure this out. I've also had unusual reactions to mosquito bites so my doctor thinks I may be developing an autoimmune problem. Bf has been very supportive, he's been taking care of me on my off days. I grew up in a household that didn't really go to the doctor as much as we should have. Like this past fall, I've now discovered I'm allergic to a lot of trees, grass, molds, spores in the air, and mice/hamsters.  

13 minutes ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

Oh no its fine! I actually have a doctors appointment in April (earliest appointment I could get) to try and figure this out. I've also had unusual reactions to mosquito bites so my doctor thinks I may be developing an autoimmune problem. Bf has been very supportive, he's been taking care of me on my off days. I grew up in a household that didn't really go to the doctor as much as we should have. Like this past fall, I've now discovered I'm allergic to a lot of trees, grass, molds, spores in the air, and mice/hamsters.  

Glad to hear you're getting that taken care of... of all the things to stress about, physical health shouldn't be one of them!

Argh why are repairs being done on a Sunday morning?!  Saturday morning I get and I tolerated all the stomping, drilling, and foot traffic even though I wanted nothing more than to stay in bed reading.  But it is Sunday!  And those turds have blocked the driveway so I can't even leave!

1 hour ago, MarineBluePsy said:

Argh why are repairs being done on a Sunday morning?!  Saturday morning I get and I tolerated all the stomping, drilling, and foot traffic even though I wanted nothing more than to stay in bed reading.  But it is Sunday!  And those turds have blocked the driveway so I can't even leave!

Dude thats super annoying, I'm sorry! Hopefully they get done soon. My wonderful (sarcasm) TA told everyone at the Christmas party that I called her a bitch....that didn't happen at all. I seriously want her to just leave me alone. She isn't worth the emotion, so I'm just shrugging my shoulders and letting her have her little fit.

15 minutes ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

Dude thats super annoying, I'm sorry! Hopefully they get done soon. My wonderful (sarcasm) TA told everyone at the Christmas party that I called her a bitch....that didn't happen at all. I seriously want her to just leave me alone. She isn't worth the emotion, so I'm just shrugging my shoulders and letting her have her little fit.

I think it'll be a couple more days of obnoxious banging because they're doing a full kitchen remodel and apparently the furnace blew.  *sigh*  If I had anywhere else to be I'd be there, but I don't so I'm just cranking up the volume on American Horror Story.

That TA has issues.  The really sad part is women like her are a dime a dozen in academia and the workplace.  They just don't get that everyone doesn't have to like everyone and someone choosing to do their own thing isn't meant to insult others.  Resorting to name calling and rumor spreading just makes her look foolish.  It doesn't sound like she has ever been particularly friendly to you so I don't blame you for not wanting to be bothered with her.  Hopefully you won't have to interact with her much when the semester is over.

1 hour ago, MarineBluePsy said:

I think it'll be a couple more days of obnoxious banging because they're doing a full kitchen remodel and apparently the furnace blew.  *sigh*  If I had anywhere else to be I'd be there, but I don't so I'm just cranking up the volume on American Horror Story.

That TA has issues.  The really sad part is women like her are a dime a dozen in academia and the workplace.  They just don't get that everyone doesn't have to like everyone and someone choosing to do their own thing isn't meant to insult others.  Resorting to name calling and rumor spreading just makes her look foolish.  It doesn't sound like she has ever been particularly friendly to you so I don't blame you for not wanting to be bothered with her.  Hopefully you won't have to interact with her much when the semester is over.

Ah well since you are only on the early seasons, you should have plenty of entertainment! Yeah she does, I grew up with bullies so this is just another sand grain in my shoe really ha. No I won't have to deal with anymore, so happy about that! She was a TA for only this class and she starts her internship at the museum. So downside is she is still here but upside I will never have to interact with her.

4 hours ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

That sounds pretty horrible. :( Ever watched Mean Girls? Your situation definitely reeks of high school drama.

23 minutes ago, pterosaur said:

I'm freeeeee*

* aka I turned in my final project last night so now I have time to do actual research work.

Congrats! :D 

21 hours ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

I'm the same, at least mentally. But I don't think that makes us overly gifted, either. Mental stamina can be built, but I simply don't think there's a lot of situations that build it up. I've worked in the tedium of libraries for over 10 years, so my mental stamina is pretty high.

Final paper done! ... I think! I'm not sure I straight-forwardly addressed the prompt as best I would like, but it's well-written. It was sort of a complicated prompt, so I assume there's some assumed variability.

Will review it tonight and turn it in. *does happy dance*